Shore Power Renovation

NGADawgs

First, I am at the Monacoers Gathering in Tampa this week.  It has been 4 full days of Monaco maintenance, renovation, safety, etc.  Very beneficial!  Plan to be here next year if you have never attended.

In preparation for this trip, I pulled out the Iota transfer switch which is known to be a fire hazard.  I replaced it with a Progressive Dynamics metal box:  Progressive Dynamics PD52V 5200 Series Automatic Transfer Switch - 240 VAC, 50 Amp  For those that don't know, this switch automatically transfers from shore power to generator power when detected.

In the process, I turned my shore power reel 180 degrees which allowed the cable to come off of the top, making it easier to wind.  I also moved the cable guide port directly under the cable so that I can guide the cable onto the reel easily.  When reeling in the cable, I hold the cable with a paper towel in my hand so that any debris on the cable doesn't make it into the bay.  I filled the previous cable porthole with a new screw-in cover.

Off of the shore cable reel, I put in a 50 amp receptacle.  This allows me to put my Hughes Autoformer in the circuit when needed.  We ran into a situation that almost ended our vacation last summer.  We were at an old RV park in Florida that was delivering only 105 volts AC each afternoon when all RVs were running wide open.  In the future, when I run into low voltage, this unit will boost the voltage and protect my AC units and other motors from overheating.  Hughes Autoformers RV220-50-SP

After that, I have the circuit going through my RV Surge protector.  I added the bypass switch for this device in case I ever need to disable it.  Progressive Industries RV Surge Protector 50 Amp  Lastly, the circuit goes into the new transfer switch.  

I had to drill new holes for the power cables coming from the coach and the generator due to the terminal placement in the new transfer switch.  I covered the old holes with a piece of ABS plastic that I had in my shop.

The first picture shows the "normal" setup without the Hughes Autormer in-line.  The second shows the configuration with the Autoformer plugged into the shore reel receptacle, and then the surge protector plugged into the Autoformer.  After I took pictures of this, I made sure all was working accordingly when powering up the generator.  I then used RTV silicone to seal around the cables leaving the electrical bay.

Based on the good advice from this website, I used Loctite Green on the terminal lugs and tightened them securely without overtightening.  

Electrical bay 1.jpg

Electrical bay 2.jpg

• Like 6

Awesome job and a BIG improvement!

I use the Todd Coffelt VC-50 Voltage Booster which is no longer sold in places where the RV park power sucks.

Those that don't use an EMS system have no clue what they are quietly doing to their AC's and residential refrigerators when that happens. Plus, those that do have an EMS system to monitor the incoming power will sit in their sweltering RV's waiting for their EMS to click back on after shutting their power off for low voltage.

On 2/18/2023 at 10:50 AM, ncsteve said:

When you swapped the transfer switch, were the wires long enough for the retrofit? Also, was the wiring layout similar to the Iota? I need to get this done on my rig. Thanks.

It turned out that there was enough cable to reach the new transfer switch. I did have to drill two new holes and after doing that and disconnecting the old cables, I ran through the new holes and luckily Monaco left me about 10 in of slack. The wiring was the same... a black a neutral and red power wires. Very simple to wire.

• Thanks 1