Engine Hatch Weather strip

A good friend of mine has a 2004 Windsor and is needing to replace the weather strip for the engine access hatches in the bedroom and closet.  He has been unable to find the correct weather strip but I'm sure that someone in this group will know where to get it.

Thanks for the help

Try Steele Rubber Products or just do a Google search. Steele is a well known provider. You might try McMaster Carr also. Someone no doubt has changed their’s which might save you some time. It probably doesn’t need to be a exact replacement. 

Edited by tmw188

I just rebuilt the insulation, foil tape and rubber seals on both of my engine covers.   I found the following rubber seal on Amazon, worked great.  Cant speak to longevity, however at this price  you can replace every year or two.  I was thinking about adding spacer blocks to keep the full weight of the hatch off the seal, perhaps on the next time.

Amazon.com: Automotive Door Rubber Seal Trim Seal Strip with Side Bulb for Cars, Boats, Trucks, RVs and Home Applications - PVC Bulb Trim with EPDM Rubber Seal (20Ft) : Automotive

Foil Tape,  you can find it at Home Depot or Lowes.  I used a combination of 2 inch and 3 inch tape.  I used the tape below for part of the job. 

Amazon.com: Design Engineering 010468 Cool-Tape Self-Adhesive Heat Reflective Tape, 2" x 30' Roll : Industrial & Scientific

Insulated Mat material:

Amazon.com: Design Engineering Under Hood Thermal Acoustic Lining - 32" X 54" - 12 Sq Ft - Boom Mat Retail : Automotive

This material worked really well, takes a bit to clean off the old adhesive, used the high temp adhesive below to secure the mat. 

Amazon.com: Design Engineering 10528 High-Temperature Spray Adhesive, 13.3 oz : Everything Else

When my coach was new, the existing bulb seal was not closing the gap, letting in fumes, heat and soot. I found the below seal, used it on my coach, as well as other coaches that suffered same issue. 

When removing old weatherstrip be sure to use acetone, MEK, or carb spray to remove all the old cellophane plastic adhesive strip. 

Cut four strips to approximate the four sides. Without removing the backing, put them in place after radiusing (sp) corners of the long strips, and butting the other up to the straight edge. Peel off a couple inches of the backing in two spots on each strip and attach.
Place hatch cover in place and snap down. Wait five minutes and remove cover. Now look at the imprint in the dense foam. If you see any area without an imprint correct the position of the foam. 

Once all adjusted peel off all the backing and secure in place, leaving no voids.

You may have to adjust the length of the bolts on the latches to the tighten the lid in position. Loosen the small jam nuts on the bolt and shorten or lengthen as necessary. Tighten the jam nuts. It would be a good idea for anyone reading this to look at their latches, too. The bolts tend loosen.

I find this weather strip to seal superbly and it will last 5 or 6 years.

Click image for larger version  Name: IMG_0980.jpg Views: 21 Size: 77.0 KB ID: 360992

https://www.clipsandfasteners.com/7-...ak-p/a4861.htm

Click image for larger version  Name: IMG_0978.JPG Views: 22 Size: 423.1 KB ID: 360996

Label from box of weatherstripping 

Click image for larger version  Name: IMG_2081.jpg Views: 19 Size: 244.2 KB ID: 360997

• Like 1