Stopped up shower drain

saflyer
Go to solution Solved by Tom Cherry,

Our shower is slow to drain. When showering it fills to almost my ankles. What is best way to clear it? I don’t know it it’s the P-trap as I read it may also have something to do with a vent through the roof. I also read not to push a physical device to the P-trap as it may have a membrane to stop odors.

Ed             
’05 HR Ambassador 

• Solution

TWO COMMENTS

You can purchase a "Hair and GUNK" removal tool at Lowes or any big box or on Amazon.  It is line a long Zip Tie, but it has notches cut in it all the way down and the points of the notches are pulled out.  It is flexible.  Works great.  Even my "not mechanically inclined" son can use it as his wife had long hair.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/THEWORKS-2PACK-Zip-It-Drain-Cleaning-Tool/5013024311?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-plb-_-ggl-_-PLA_PLB_208_Plumbing-Repair-_-5013024311-_-online-_-0-_-0&ds_rl=1286981&gclid=CjwKCAiAl9efBhAkEiwA4ToriqRkh28i1HkU2KxFGik-vgXoYHtoKTf9NhznOeq1YpzEQGxPx9w8eBoCN-EQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

The OTHER is to PREVENT IT FROM HAPPENING.

https://www.build.com/product/summary/1746054?uid=4125419&jmtest=gg-gbav2_4125419&inv2=1&&&&&&source=gg-gba-pla_4125419!c1705502867!a66087574509!dc!ng&gclid=CjwKCAiAl9efBhAkEiwA4TorijGXTdxCNzcGbed_QR2-VHop-TMCYoBoHGy-HFK-_Nz0_WkrMyfEOxoCJzEQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

You can google Stainless Steel hair bowl strainer and find these. This next one is what I have, except the mesh is tighter.

https://www.amazon.com/Shower-Catcher-Stainless-Bathroom-Lechay/dp/B08TR3QK4B/ref=sr_1_7?crid=3UT7H0FERDD6H&keywords=stainless%2Bsteel%2Bshower%2Bdrain%2Bhair%2Bcatcher&qid=1677066794&sprefix=stainless%2Bsteel%2Bshower%2Bdrain%2Bhair%2Bcatcher%2Caps%2C64&sr=8-7&th=1

I removed the flat perforated plate and put this one in. I have a Sanicon and Hair is the DEATH WISH for a Sanicon.  The hair wraps around the impeller and eventually shuts or slows it down.

My daughter and GD both have long blonde hair...  I tend to shed a little.  I use this now.  I have to clean it about once a week.  I should ALSO point out that we have wool throw rugs over the tile so you always have fibers.  This is the NUTS for pet hair as well.

Good Luck

41FseiFDqJL._AC_US100_.jpg

I use the strongest blocked Drain Cleaner I can find at Lowe's or Home Depot then I follow their directions. I also use a commercial Drain Maintenace dose once a month to keep them flowing freely.

The drain cover on the Windsor shower would need to be removed and all the twisted long hair from my wife removed a few times every year. The drain cover on the custom shower in the Dynasty is not removable so I use the 2-foot shark tooth tool plus chemicals to keep that drain flowing freely.

• 2 weeks later...

We’ve tried the hot water and hot water with dish soap route. That didn’t help.

In case this makes any difference here is the drain we are dealing with. I don’t think it lends itself to a plumber’s helper or any other probe. It’s the kind you step on to open and close. Would removing it and replacing it with a simple plate with holes be the answer?

1A919D76-FCBC-4369-8595-83344AC16B8A.jpeg

063EC1F2-5763-4230-93D0-91898907FF25.jpeg

Edited by saflyer

1 hour ago, Dr4Film said:

Why would that type and style of drain ever be used in a shower? Tub, yes, but a shower, I don't think so, especially in any RV.

Replace it if possible or modify it to allow for proper draining of the water.

I guess it’s a tub/shower but only a little kid could fit in the tub part. I agree a simple screen with holes is the answer since we’ll never use it as a tub. A project for when we get home.

Thanks

8 hours ago, StephenW said:

I would unscrew the plastic cylinder in the middle of the drain fitting and install a removable screen in the drain fitting.

That’s what I was wondering. Does the mechanical part come out by unscrewing it? Will try.

Thanks

Edited by saflyer

52 minutes ago, saflyer said:

I guess it’s a tub/shower but only a little kid could fit in the tub part. I agree a simple screen with holes is the answer since we’ll never use it as a tub. A project for when we get home.

Thanks

That’s what I was wondering. Does the mechanical part come out by unscrewing it? Will try.

Thanks

Most folks use the SS WIRE MESH bowls and let them sit on top.  You pry or remove the perforated cover.  That is doubly important if you have a Sanicon to prevent hair binding up on the motor shaft and slowing down the motor and restricting the float rate.

The drain that Monaco used on the showers were not supposed to be disassembled.  If you have the “toe kick” style with a push down or pull up stopper, then su screw it.  Sometimes you need to use a large set of water pump pliers around the flat plate or washer and unscrew the cap.  That device has a threaded shaft that screws into the drain body.  Once out, uses one of the plastic picks to dislodge.  Flush with hot water.  If you examine the tor kick, you can lubricate the shaft.