Strange vibration in steering wheel

On a smooth road I feel the steering wheel vibrate slightly for about 8 sec and then Not vibrate for about 4 sec then vibrate for 8 sec and not for 4 sec. this is happening all the time but I can only really tell when the road is smooth.

just had the front tires balanced again but No change

Any ideas?

Bruce

29 minutes ago, Skier013 said:

On a smooth road I feel the steering wheel vibrate slightly for about 8 sec and then Not vibrate for about 4 sec then vibrate for 8 sec and not for 4 sec. this is happening all the time but I can only really tell when the road is smooth.

just had the front tires balanced again but No change

Any ideas?

Bruce

Bruce

I suggest that you have the steering &  suspension components inspected and have a wheel alignment done.

Edited by Mel S - '96 Safari

What about speed? Is it at a particular speed range? Could be a harmonic . I don't think an alignment will have any affect. The first thing I would do is swap the tires with two on the rear to see if that moves the problem.

Bruce.  By chance do you have new tires.  I took my 02 Diplomat to Redlands Trk and RV a couple years ago.  Got two Michelin tires on the front.  I also had a big vehicle alignment ($699), Safety Steer ($949), oil pack wheel bearings, all new Koni shocks ($1990), complete brakes including drum turning, plus other items.  I left and soon noticed a steering wheel vibration continuously at all speeds.  I had three wheel balance jobs, one which was tires on vehicle, and still had vibration.  I kept telling Michelin that I felt their tires were out of round.  Went to Michelin and only got visual inspection (refused to drive my coach).  5000 miles later I needed new rear tires.  I had two new tires placed on the front.  WOW, No vibration.  Ken Parsons 72707

Not new tires. 
as I remember-out of balance tires would shake at certain speeds constantly. Mine is not speed related; also the shaking is on 8sec then smooth 4sec??

turning side to side makes no difference as there is no noise involved— just a very very slight on again off again vibration in the steering wheel. If the road is not smooth I can’t feel it happening 

Bruce

IBefore this latest balance I was running with beads in my tires. I had them taken out and spin balanced. I thought I would see some difference, But no I don’t see any difference 

Bruce

Edited by Skier013