GOOLOO GP4000 (S vs A) Diesel RATED Jump Starter or Equivalent - Discussion and Pricing Discounts - Amazon

Tom Cherry

OK….throwing this out to all the folks that are “tech savvy”.  Buddy has been bragging about a smaller unit and another buddy, who’s an ultimate prepper, also touts these types of  units.  Amazon has at least 4 or so brands.  My buddy let his small Chrysler SUV sit for a month as his wife injured an elbow and was sling bound and it was easier to transport her in her vehicle.  He tried to fire up his ride…click, click…no click.  Proceeded to get out his Taclife T8.  Instant start.  Checked the battery meter or whatever….still had 98% capacity.

SO….curious me looked at the T10.  Nope only rated to 4L diesels.   Kept searching……this one has almost 4000 reviews and will supposedly start a 10L diesel.

That is all I know and my buddy, the prepper, has 2 Noco’s.  Both are tech savvy and are now fanatics for these magic boxes….

I do notice that all the new car dealers with an extensive stable of used vehicles has 2 or more of them in the (Salesman’s break area) and when looking for a car for my GS last fall, they had one….supposedly with a new battery, that was dead….they started it and it was fine, but knowing about parasitic drains, I passed.

Comments of these….as well as experiences….  I still have an old beat up Buggy Whip one that I keep on a maintainer…..and it has had the UPS style sealed LA battery replaced….twice.  It is an air pump that I use and has started my lawn tractor and Genny a few times.

Thanks in advance……

Go to Youtube.com/projectfarm. They have done several reviews over the last several years on these portable starters with detailed testing. Noco has always come out on top but it is usually the GX150 or GX155 which sell for about $300 =/-. The GooLoo 4000 was in the top 3, as I recall, in the first group test a year or so ago.  smaller Gooloo was tested a few months ago and did OK but not as well.

I have a Goo Loo GP 4000, which saved me from a tow. Due to an alternator failure, we lost the chassis battery and were unable to even get a click out of the starter. Called a tow company and they said "try one of those battery jump-start things if you have one." Well, I had just purchased one a month before and was lucky enough to have it with me. Hooked it up to the starting batteries hit the boost button and it spun that ISM 500 like I had new batteries! I now own three and will not travel without one.

I recently bought the below over some other units because it weighed 4.5 lbs. Should have sent it back before even opening it as it obviously didn’t weigh even 3 lbs…2.5 when I weighed it. Haven’t had the need to use it yet.
VTOMAN V4000 Car Jump Starter, 4000A

Engine103, I just ordered a Gooloo 4000 from Amazon. Found last year's model (Orange/yellow color with no LED screen) for about $100.  I have been DOA because of battery failure before and a portable jump starter has been on my "need" list before heading out this year. The NOCO is a great product but I only an worried about my emergency need, not taking care of a fleet. I did want something strong enough that is my chassis batteries are in trouble I can turn over my CAT C7. Based on reviews and testimonies like yours this should fill the bill at a reasonable price.

Guest Ray Davis

When the glove box starters came out a few yrs ago I bought several & gave them to my grandkids for Christmas, they mostly looked puzzled.    I'm not sure they know they have a battery.  They mostly liked that it would charge their phones.  Kids today are different,  in my day I dreamed of cars ( ok sometimes girls & cars ) LOL and was usually under the hood tinkering with something. 

I carry 20 ft jumper cables and have used those to start my toad.   The jumper batteries you guys are talking about are even better,  I might need to get one.  Just yesterday my leaf vacuum wouldn't start,  I had to walk quite a way, get a golf cart, then go get jumper cables to jump it.     I could have used one of those start gizmos & saved some time & aggravation.

@Tom Cherry, et. al., 

I just looked at this, read the reviews and watched the YouTube video reviews mentioned above.  Looked on Amazon and it was $152.00.  Left that page and came back a few minutes later and they added a coupon for $53, making the net cost with tax $105… so I bit and ordered one.  

Uodate…..I got suckered too..   LOL.

there is a $53 coupon for the 4000A.  That gets it down to $99.  You just have to look carefully….it is there on the REVIEW order.

the newer one is the 4000S.  It was showing $179…but there is a $50 coupon.  I put both in my cart and went to checkout…..yep…both discounted,  I decided to upgrade and go with the 4000S as a new battery for my tired Jump pump would be that much and I have a power plug pump around also….

so….the deed is done.  

NO, I did not get any “bird dog” money like car dealers will play….LOL….

careful now.... I THINK I can moderate YOU and maybe Scotty.....but that would be a bit "embarrassing...."  LOL TOTALLY....

• Tom Cherry changed the title to GOOLOO GP4000 (S vs A) Diesel RATED Jump Starter or Equivalent - Discussion and Pricing Discounts - Amazon
Guest Ray Davis
2 hours ago, Tom Cherry said:

careful now.... I THINK I can moderate YOU and maybe Scotty..

Tom, I know who Scotty is but who is YOU?

Edited by Ray Davis

On ebay there is a GP4000 (yellow model) I have the last one in my cart at $87.70 . This item is new from seller UCmoon2. I am deleting it now as The one I ordered yesterday has already shipped and was only 1$ more. Look for this on e-bay under this seller if you are interested.

https://mail.yahoo.com/b/folders/1/messages/AIk-4kdm2jiYY_55iwdW6MU1J_A?adblock=1&folderType=INBOX&offset=0&unblockNow=false

4 hours ago, Ray Davis said:

Tom, I know who Scotty is but who is YOU?

Just let it pass…just a feeble attempt to lighten up a bit and not let this one go down a path that might get some humorous retorts but in today’s arena….you never know who might be offended by what….

Hope everyone that ordered will be pleased.  I did not expect such a reaction or this much interest….

10 hours ago, 1nolaguy said:

On ebay there is a GP4000 (yellow model) I have the last one in my cart at $87.70 . This item is new from seller UCmoon2. I am deleting it now as The one I ordered yesterday has already shipped and was only 1$ more. Look for this on e-bay under this seller if you are interested.

https://mail.yahoo.com/b/folders/1/messages/AIk-4kdm2jiYY_55iwdW6MU1J_A?adblock=1&folderType=INBOX&offset=0&unblockNow=false

I purchased the GP 4000 on Amazon at $100. It included a very nice semi hard shell case. Read ad carefully to determine if case is bundled at stated price.

16776583909059118353120379244433.jpg

16776584172414617002412135748243.jpg

Edited by Floyd4949
spelling

Guest Ray Davis
11 hours ago, Tom Cherry said:

Just let it pass…just a feeble attempt to lighten up a bit and not let this one go down a path that might get some humorous retorts but in today’s arena….you never know who might be offended by what….

Hope everyone that ordered will be pleased.  I did not expect such a reaction or this much interest….

Got it,  it is surprising sometimes the subjects or posts that will catch on.

UPDATE.  Mine was delivered overnight.  Here is the REPORT.

Looks nice.  Can be deceiving  but was packaged great.  Manual is a little sparse or I am getting old.  SO here goes.

FIRST, if you do NOT know what USB-C is....then this is a primer.  There are TWO major "plugs" or charging cord ends used today.  I call them the Samsung (it is like a mini HDMI plug and only goes in one way) and Apple.  Apple has the Lightning that goes in either way and has the exposed contacts.  The EU voted to make ALL chargers COMPATIBLE.  They chose the USB-C.  It is an EITHER way in cord.  It will also, I THINK (so if you want to correct me...facts are always nice...as this is what I scanned or read). have the SAME end on the cable.  Thus, eventually, you will have a Charger (transformer or Block as my GK's say) and a device with the USB-C adapter.  That plug has been in use for many years and most newer laptops have it and the universal docking stations that don't require your laptop to be "snapped in" use that plug.

OK....this unit is CHARGED from a USB-C port.  That is sort of MARKED....but it is the ONE that says....IN AND OUT.  There are THREE cables that come with it with a USB-C end.

Charger cable....NEW and up-to-date....has a USB-C plug on each end.  

Charge cable with an OLD style (Big) USB on one end and a USB-C on the other.

Power or "Cigarette Lighter" adapter.  it has a USB-C on the output.  BUT, it also has an older USB on the side, so it you are charging your "boster", you can STILL charge a cell phone or whatever.  

There is a Power Receptacle (Cigarette Lighter Plug) that only plugs in one place.  SO, you can power 12 VDC devices as well.  DUAL charging.

The Battery Terminal Clamps.  SHORT to work quickly and get the "laid down on me" battery going.

OK....How to CHARGE.  The "Lab Person" (hanging around too much with Frank M...LOL) was impressed with the display  Turn it ON....it gives you, in %, the SOC.  

Mine was 79%.  I plugged it into the Yukon.  It started charging.  It was delivering 90 Watts.  The MAX rate is 100%.  If you do the math.... the charger was delivering 19 Amps of current  at 5 VDC.  That 90 Watts is taking 7.2 amps from the DC port and most are 10 or 15 Amp fused..  It took less than a minute, on average, to bump it up 1%.  SO, in less than 20 minutes, it would have been fully charged.  NOW... I DO NOT know if that changes at lower SOC or such.  These are Li and my knowledge is limited....but I THINK that the voltage has to be constant....so assume the charging is linear.

OK....go inside....I pulled it before it got to 85%.  I used a dual USB Charger that is rated for 2.4 Amps per USB Port.  That would only deliver 13 Watts. OK...do the math.  The output is 5 VDC and you get 2.4 Amps on each port.  That is 12 Watts.  So, when it is delivering 12 - 13 Watts....that is all the charger will do.  Most of these are rated at 24 Watts TOTAL or 12 watts per port..  I didn't precisely time it, but it will take about 7 times as LONG to charge or get to 100% using one of these smaller chargers compared to plugging in the power port and using your vehicle.

That's about all I know. I have figured OUT how to use it and how to get power out....It DOES have a conventional USB on the output so you can use it to power your stuff.

Good Luck.....

• 2 weeks later...

I was planning to just use long jumpers and the coach battery to fire off the engine if needed. However, after this thread (and the $99 price 😄 ) and your comments I am now impatiently waiting by the mailbox for mine to arrive.  Thanks all for the tips & info!

Lithium products are really coming on strong these days, and to have that little box overpower a 400ISL diesel engine is amazing  (Let's see now, if I look them up on ebay I wonder how many regular individual lithium cells I'd need to stack?  LOL).

I just got mine but haven't had an opportunity to try it yet.

As an FYI - be careful when ordering from amazon or e-bay to know where your order comes from. My order, which I expected to receive within 5 days took two weeks because the shipper was sending it from Germany. It took so digging to find this out so be sure to check the "ship from" disclaimer before placing the order, and not just the product description.