2003 Monaco Dynasty Baronness Electrick Control Fuse Circuit Board

FunTripsUSA

I have a 2003 Monaco Dynasty Diplomat and I have discovered that one of the three control fuse boards has had a short of some sort. Unfortunately the sticker that shows what all the fuses are for is gone. I called Monaco Coach however they do not have the records for my coach. I am hoping someone has the same set up we have. I found on this site another fuse diagram however the fuse amps are different from mine. Here is a link to what I found 

My Exhaust Brake is not working. Here are some pictures of my control board that has damage.  I also so far cannot locate the wires that were cut from the harness. 

20230310_105958.jpg

20230310_105946.jpg

20230310_105938.jpg

Agree on the butt connectors as probably being the wires attached to the circuit board. 

You will have to get the wiring diagrams as Dr4Film suggested and try and decipher this out.  Also take a close look at the wires, on my coach most of the wires actually were labeled as to what they were for.  I was able to figure out what a couple unlabled relays in my front drivers side run bay.  You might have to try and use a wire tracer to track the wires.

Also, I looked at the inventory of Visione RV in KY, they have a 2003 Dynasty (fire damaged) but the front drivers side bay looked unscathed.  You might call them and see if they have the board.  The don't usually list specific boards but if that coach is still there I'm sure they'd get the board.  Give them a call, if you actually talk to someone you might get lucky.  The board itself can be removed fairly easy, all the wiring harness come off and the larger wires just come loose. 

47 minutes ago, DavidL said:

I will guess that the wires to the right that have the solderless connectors used to plug into that burnt connector.

Use the wiring diagram to be sure.

The connector on the circuit board has 4 wires in the back of the hole.  There are only 2 butt/solderless connectors to the right and those wires go down to a black box below the circuit board.

19 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

Agree on the butt connectors as probably being the wires attached to the circuit board. 

You will have to get the wiring diagrams as Dr4Film suggested and try and decipher this out.  Also take a close look at the wires, on my coach most of the wires actually were labeled as to what they were for.  I was able to figure out what a couple unlabled relays in my front drivers side run bay.  You might have to try and use a wire tracer to track the wires.

Also, I looked at the inventory of Visione RV in KY, they have a 2003 Dynasty (fire damaged) but the front drivers side bay looked unscathed.  You might call them and see if they have the board.  The don't usually list specific boards but if that coach is still there I'm sure they'd get the board.  Give them a call, if you actually talk to someone you might get lucky.  The board itself can be removed fairly easy, all the wiring harness come off and the larger wires just come loose. 

Thank you.  I messaged them this morning.  I'll keep you posted.

58 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

Ian,

There is a file in the download area which has the wiring diagrams for a 2003 Monaco Dynasty.

I would download that to your PC and peruse through that to see if you can find your answers.

Wiring Diagrams - Bill D’s Monacoers

Truth to be told is I do not know how to read a wiring diagram.  I did download the 2003 Dynasty wiring diagram.  Thank you for the link.  I will do my best to figure it out.  Will the diagram show me the configuration of the circuit board? (meaning will is have a diagram of the circuit panel and fuse amps?)

36 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

Look for Fuse numbers F-20 through F-17 on the wiring diagrams once you find the correct fuse board.

I found those numbers on the middle circuit board.  I have a total of 3 circuit boards.

25 minutes ago, FunTripsUSA said:

Truth to be told is I do not know how to read a wiring diagram.  I did download the 2003 Dynasty wiring diagram.  Thank you for the link.  I will do my best to figure it out.  Will the diagram show me the configuration of the circuit board? (meaning will is have a diagram of the circuit panel and fuse amps?)

I found those numbers on the middle circuit board.  I have a total of 3 circuit boards.

Look toward the end where it shows the circuit boards in the FRB. I think with some patience and process of elimination you will figure it out.

8 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

Look toward the end where it shows the circuit boards in the FRB. I think with some patience and process of elimination you will figure it out.

I found on page 204 of the 2003 Monaco Dynasty wiring diagram, with the link you provided, the three circuit boards.  However my circuit board P/N does not match what is in the diagram.  The part number on my coach is 16616257 and what is on the diagram is 16616143.  Does that matter?  

I compared the fuses in my picture to the wiring diagram and they are in the same sequence. 

4 minutes ago, FunTripsUSA said:

I found on page 204 of the 2003 Monaco Dynasty wiring diagram, with the link you provided, the three circuit boards.  However my circuit board P/N does not match what is in the diagram.  The part number on my coach is 16616257 and what is on the diagram is 16616143.  Does that matter?  

I compared the fuses in my picture to the wiring diagram and they are in the same sequence. 

page 183 does not match page 204.  How do I decode this?

image.png.20da5ec594e26b8cf9de625081221a88.png

I believe the difference in part numbers is if there is a heavy duty power feed to the board or not.

I assume this is the board in question with the burnt connector.

Engine Brake / Bag dump / Gauge Power / Backup (VIM)

Those are the wires to track down to find out how this was "fixed" with a workaround so that the fuse block didn't have to be replaced.

What is the black box at the bottom?  Looks like it might be a relay.  Might also be a fuse holder.  Can't tell from the picture.

Are your wires printed for function?  Look back in the harness to find out what those wires are labeled that are solderless connected to the black "relay".

Note that there was a short or loose connection or some other high amperage load for that connector to burn to begin with.  Once the wires are found, the real root problem needs to be diagnosed.

Edited by DavidL
  • Like 1

if you are referring to your owner's manual, there were always discrepancies as Monaco made runniing floor chanes and the assemblers never told the engineers and tech support group that wrote the manuals.  your year isnot avalable online so i cant download and comment.

fWIW, Monaco went bankrupt in 2009, but Navistar bought them and most of the tech support folks that knew the "Monaco products were rehired. As Navistar played around with the company, they realized they were in over their heads.  REV bought it for the name and brand recognition.  then, they closed all the factories and used the names and put them on existing Chassis.  Your motorhome chassis and assembly died 10 years ago.  REV has some prints....we may have more here.  we have more tech support help than any REV peson....as they are lookin at prints and have no real concept of the 2003 Dynasty wiring concept.

perhaps some 2003 owner can look in their manual.

you will need to learn how to read prints and understand circuits....otherwise, find a good tech and make him your new best friend.

• Like 1

Guest Ray Davis

Ian, in this picture we can see the burned area and it looks to me like wires were cut off.  Do you suppose the butt connectors are the same wires?   If so, are they not protected by a fuse, any inline fuses nearby?  On my Windsor, there is a removable black plastic cover that covers the wires & fuses. On the back side is the   identification & location of fuses & etc.  I suppose that cover is what you are missing.  A missing cover has come up previously and someone with the same yr posted a picture of theirs.   Not meaning to nitpick, but I think you misspoke saying " Dynasty Diplomat" .   

20230311_074801.jpg

1 hour ago, Tom Cherry said:

if you are referring to your owner's manual, there were always discrepancies as Monaco made runniing floor chanes and the assemblers never told the engineers and tech support group that wrote the manuals.  your year isnot avalable online so i cant download and comment.

fWIW, Monaco went bankrupt in 2009, but Navistar bought them and most of the tech support folks that knew the "Monaco products were rehired. As Navistar played around with the company, they realized they were in over their heads.  REV bought it for the name and brand recognition.  then, they closed all the factories and used the names and put them on existing Chassis.  Your motorhome chassis and assembly died 10 years ago.  REV has some prints....we may have more here.  we have more tech support help than any REV peson....as they are lookin at prints and have no real concept of the 2003 Dynasty wiring concept.

perhaps some 2003 owner can look in their manual.

you will need to learn how to read prints and understand circuits....otherwise, find a good tech and make him your new best friend.

What type of Tech would I be looking for? 

Do you know of any repair centers that may be able to help?

A technician with moderate electrical skills is needed.  That understands how to read a schematic and can use a Toner and Volt/Ohm meter.

this is the best help, remotely that i can give. 

you need an electronic tech that is familiar with the older Dynasties or the 2005 and older as the chassis wiring system was upgraded to a wole higher level in 2006.

you should have let folks know where you are.  i looked you up.  you are near Tallahassee so that is a reference point. We have folks all over the USA

GO TO THE PRINTS. The boar is the ACC & IGNITION BOARD.  It is first referecned on the print called DYN/EXE/SIG AIR SEAL print.  start scrollong down and the board and the 4 wire cpnnector appear in several prints.  But there are somd prints where the 4 connector plug may or may NOT be connected to the 6 plug style that is used throughout.  i didnt spend time on the 4 to 6 but you can.  you have to read and understand.

BUT. IMPORTANT...YOU OR TECH NEED TO LOOK HERE.  

Print is SIG/EXE/NAV J3 PLUG.

Read the pins on the left. pin 8 is engine exhaust; pin 14 is bag dump; Pin 5 is prbably the Back up

now....the next prints show how the wires get from this main plug to each of the pons or connectors.

if you trace or tone out the brake and bag dump and back up....then you will eventually find a 4 wire bundle.  if your back up lights work and your bag dump work, then someone cut the wires and put them somewhere else.  WHY they didnt do the brake is a mystery. but if you have the exhaust brake wire, traced from J3, then finding a suitable fused alternative will be simple.

now you know. sorry for the erratic caps, my left arm has a new joint and bound up in a combo sling and straight jacket

26 minutes ago, DavidL said:

A technician with moderate electrical skills is needed.  That understands how to read a schematic and can use a Toner and Volt/Ohm meter.

based on the "configuration type of the prints, moderate is the minimum....these prints are Greek to most MH techs, unless they worked at a Monaco dealer.  I can hold my own on the Camelots and do a little in the Dynasty.  my mind dont work thgat way.  LOL

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:  Found out the Jake Brake does work.  There is a lever on the floor you press with your foot to engage the brake.  It WORKS GREAT!!

I have another question.... I will post it under the picture that I have a question for. 

I appreciate all your help!

On 3/11/2023 at 9:58 AM, DavidL said:

image.png.20da5ec594e26b8cf9de625081221a88.png

I believe the difference in part numbers is if there is a heavy duty power feed to the board or not.

I assume this is the board in question with the burnt connector.

Engine Brake / Bag dump / Gauge Power / Backup (VIM)

Those are the wires to track down to find out how this was "fixed" with a workaround so that the fuse block didn't have to be replaced.

What is the black box at the bottom?  Looks like it might be a relay.  Might also be a fuse holder.  Can't tell from the picture.

Are your wires printed for function?  Look back in the harness to find out what those wires are labeled that are solderless connected to the black "relay".

Note that there was a short or loose connection or some other high amperage load for that connector to burn to begin with.  Once the wires are found, the real root problem needs to be diagnosed.

On the circuit board under ENGINE BRAKE is BAG DUMP. Several questions to come:

1. Is the Bag Dump to empty all the air in the air bags?

2. How is the Bag Dump controlled?

3. Across from Bag Dump (on the circuit board) is HWH AIR LEVEL. My air level system is not working. Would it be related to Air Dump?

Side Note: I trouble shot my HWH system with HWY on the line. The system gets power however the control board in the coach is not activating the system to auto level. HWH requested me to send it to them for troubleshooting.  Did so today. The TRAVEL light is lighting up green. 

20230304_134240.jpg

20230310_095214.jpg

1 hour ago, FunTripsUSA said:

UPDATE:  Found out the Jake Brake does work.  There is a lever on the floor you press with your foot to engage the brake.  It WORKS GREAT!!

I have another question.... I will post it under the picture that I have a question for. 

I appreciate all your help!

On the circuit board under ENGINE BRAKE is BAG DUMP. Several questions to come:

1. Is the Bag Dump to empty all the air in the air bags?

2. How is the Bag Dump controlled?

3. Across from Bag Dump (on the circuit board) is HWH AIR LEVEL. My air level system is not working. Would it be related to Air Dump?

Side Note: I trouble shot my HWH system with HWY on the line. The system gets power however the control board in the coach is not activating the system to auto level. HWH requested me to send it to them for troubleshooting.  Did so today. The TRAVEL light is lighting up green. 

20230304_134240.jpg

20230310_095214.jpg

FWIW.  One of the best Chassis shops in the US with very specific and great experience in the Monaco air leveling systems, regardless of brands is In Orlando.. Josams.  Google them.  Barry is shop manager and has specific techs for Monaco.  If the controller was not at fault, rhen they would be the best to go from there.  Folks drive in from many states out for their service.

19 minutes ago, Tom Cherry said:

FWIW.  One of the best Chassis shops in the US with very specific and great experience in the Monaco air leveling systems, regardless of brands is In Orlando.. Josams.  Google them.  Barry is shop manager and has specific techs for Monaco.  If the controller was not at fault, rhen they would be the best to go from there.  Folks drive in from many states out for their service.

Thank you.  I am saving their number to my phone. Have a great weekend!

• 2 weeks later...

Still trying to figure this out. I have no clue what I am doing. 

However. I did find out that the purple wire is connected to the black box. The other side of that wire runs up to another 15amp fuse. Not sure what the other 4 post fuse box is for. Maybe that is where they bypassed. The section of the circuit board that fried. 

20230403_110545.jpg

20230403_110600.jpg

20230403_110611.jpg

20230403_110926.jpg

My guess is that is what they did.  Do you have a wiring diagram showing the circuit board with the label designation for the wires?  A lot of my wires have labeling right on them that tells what it is for but if you have a diagram you should be able to determine what wires provided power to what circuit. 

The black box you show a picture of just has separate fuses for the circuits.  Where does it get it's power? Is it fused and is it controlled by the ignition and or disconnect for chassis or house. 

BEST GUESS.  There are FOUR wires in the plug.  You have to locate the wires.  since you have the purple wire and have THREE....then there is a Four Fuse Terminal Block installed.  They did not use one wire.  WHY?  Not a Clue.  But here is what you do....  pull the plug.  you PROBABLY will find three of the wires (look at the insulation color) on that fuse block.  SO, one wire seems to be missing.  go back to the posts that show you the names.  There are four fuses....  two are 10 A and two are 15 A.  All they did was move the wires off the burned up board to a separate panel.

Now they DID use 15 A fuses for all.  NOT a big deal.  Use the print that tells you the FUNCTIONS.  THEN label each of those wires.  My guess is that was not a wire for the VIM....but who knows.  if your Brake was wired directly and has an inline fuse holder....they WHY.... don't know.  But the only way is to match colors of the insulation and odds, are, you have found 3.  

BTW.....what exactly does NOT work....or did I miss that.  You said the Brake was working as it was foot operated and you were not aware.  if the fuses are good in that 4 fuse terminal....then you should have voltage to each of the three.  BTW....make sure that there is POWER going to the stud.....if no power, then chase it back..  it may be a resettable circuit breaker with a lever.  At this point, it is all guess on anybody's part because someone has bypassed four outputs on that board and never labeled where the heck they put them.

Label and then proceed....but please tell us....what ain't working? OR are you just trying to find out what they did?