Fresh Water Pump replacement recommendations

tmw188
Go to solution Solved by Scotty Hutto,

2 hours ago, MHRookie said:

If you remove the original accumulator tank, do you just install a plug in the fitting? 

Curious… when I look up viton, it says it can be used in fresh water applications.  If you treat your storage tank, there should be enough chlorine to prevent bacteria I would think (or whatever the camco treatment is).

FWIW, the original AquaTech pumps (the RV55) were made in California and Remco bought the rights (they still may be made there or maybe offshore or maybe in a Remco factory).  My 2009 was a CA pump and I dealt, many times with their tech support.  They did NOT recommend an accumulator tank as it would give erratic results with their "pressure control chip".  Now SOME members did leave them in place....so there is no hard and fast rule.

There were two versions of the pump.  One was agricultural as in a pump & tank pump spraying rig.  The other was the RV.  I have NO idea, and I doubt Remco would, as to why there were different seals and such...if there were.  BUT, the Agricultural one, still being manufactured, states that is NOT SAFE FOR POTABLE WATER USE...

17 minutes ago, Tom Cherry said:

FWIW, the original AquaTech pumps (the RV55) were made in California and Remco bought the rights (they still may be made there or maybe offshore or maybe in a Remco factory).  My 2009 was a CA pump and I dealt, many times with their tech support.  They did NOT recommend an accumulator tank as it would give erratic results with their "pressure control chip".  Now SOME members did leave them in place....so there is no hard and fast rule.

There were two versions of the pump.  One was agricultural as in a pump & tank pump spraying rig.  The other was the RV.  I have NO idea, and I doubt Remco would, as to why there were different seals and such...if there were.  BUT, the Agricultural one, still being manufactured, states that is NOT SAFE FOR POTABLE WATER USE...

Tom... so if I do remove the "pressure/accumulator" tank, I would just need to put a plug in that fitting and all would be well correct?  nothing different than a dead end water line the way I see it...

On 3/14/2023 at 9:19 AM, Dr4Film said:

The Windsor never had a surge tank but the Dynasty I have now does have one.

My 97 Windsor has a surge tank, mounted under a drawer in the bedroom behind a furnace vent. 

3 hours ago, MHRookie said:

Tom... so if I do remove the "pressure/accumulator" tank, I would just need to put a plug in that fitting and all would be well correct?  nothing different than a dead end water line the way I see it...

That would be my fix. I would also plug the line going to the tank to prevent dripping.  These tanks DO wear out, as any accumulator tank does, as the bladder gets a leak and then it eventually gets waterlogged and non functional….

On 3/14/2023 at 7:31 AM, tmw188 said:

If I can’t get a repair kit for my OE Pump leaking I’m looking for some recommendations. The current pump is a 5.3 gpm. I don’t have a accumulator tank and it surges depending on the demand. It may be over sized. What size pumps do many if you have and any suggestions. I’m not really wanting a tank currently just a pump. There are many 3-3.5gpm pumps online. This is what I have. Aquatec 

BBC51F8E-0E05-47C3-BA1C-088295ABC70B.jpeg

AA964199-F22A-4066-A6E7-3F373D37DFC8.jpeg

6508F8E2-CEFE-4F88-B98A-E7BD44BB3253.jpeg

Don’t waste time trying to get a repair kit.  I learned that yesterday.  It appears they only sell AG rated pump parts.  

camping world has the best sale going right now over internet pricing.  Good luck.

Pretty sure what I have is also the Aquajet 55 ARV.  My documentation says it is a variable speed pump and should not require or be used with the pressure accumulator.   Sometimes it seems to make a little annoying chirp as it brings the system back to shut off pressure but it definitely steps up performance if you open to faucets at the same time in order to prevent loss of pressure at one.  I'm happier with it than I was with the single rate single flow pump I had in the Old Coach.

10 hours ago, MHRookie said:

Don’t waste time trying to get a repair kit.  I learned that yesterday.  It appears they only sell AG rated pump parts.  

camping world has the best sale going right now over internet pricing.  Good luck.

You have ann  antique.  But it was a GREAT ANTIQUE.  AquaTec was the original manufacturer of these pumps.  Buy a new AQUAJET RV55 from an authorized seller such as the known RV Supply houses or CW.  YOU WILL NEED the $8 check valve.  It goes into the outlet.  Nothing complex or such.  Here is a link to the recent  thread with the info and such.

That’s it.  Go for it

For those who want the best...

I got tired of replacing the little limit switches that most of these pumps use to control the pressure.  So we wanted a pump with an electronic pressure sensor.  The ones the big yachts use seems to be Marco Pumps of Italy.  We tried the 6.9gpm but ended up upgrading to their top of the line 12.3gpm.  

Not cheap but you get what you pay for.

https://items.marco.it/us/up14-e-electronic-water-pressure-pump-12-2-gpm.html

On 4/15/2023 at 11:25 PM, Scotty Hutto said:

Interesting side note… I replaced my old (failed) AquaJet with a new Remco 55AquaJet ARV late last year. I’ve been chasing an issue and pulled the pump today to check that the check valve had not gotten stuck or trash in it… my brand new pump didn’t have a check valve installed! Easy fix, but still… 🤦🏻‍♂️

if you buy a new 55AquaJet ARV pump, check to make sure it has the check valve installed (like the Remco literature says it does…)

This is a followup that Scotty called me about and asked me to post as he is tied up.  He and I had discussed his problems and concluded that he probably needed to add the check valve before going deeper.  He called Remco and they told him that they quit putting in check valves but had a 3 year (or something like that) supply of boxes that “SAID” the pumps had check valves installed.  Scotty’s does not.  He has ordered the part from RV Upgrades as that was what Remco suggested.  It MAY Abe available on Amazon…but RV Upgrades IS an authorized dealer…

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Remco-CVK-553-Check-Valve-For-Aquajet-Rebel-p/cvk-553.htm

I am asking @Frank McElroy to make a note of this and update the parts list.  There may be a file on the pump, so a note there would be appropriate.

NOW WE KNOW…and those of us with experience with the pump scratch our heads….all Scotty and I could conclude is that there MAY be more OEM RV installations where the plumbing has a check valve so Remco made the call.  I can tell you with absolute certainty that all Monaco’s made by Monaco or Navistar DID have the pumps with the built in….actually STANDARD….as that was the way that the original manufacturer, AquaTech, made and sold them. The pump “Rights” were sold to Remco…I know, I ordered one of the first that had Remco packaging a long time ago…and it DID have the check valve. Hope this helps folks in the future….

I just installed that new Remco replacement pump myself maybe 6 weeks ago and I too didn’t know it didn’t have that check valve. I’ll have to go back thru the thread to see what Scotty’s issue was. Did Remco say why they don’t use the check valve anymore? 

12 minutes ago, tmw188 said:

I just installed that new Remco replacement pump myself maybe 6 weeks ago and I too didn’t know it didn’t have that check valve. I’ll have to go back thru the thread to see what Scotty’s issue was. Did Remco say why they don’t use the check valve anymore? 

Scotty may be tied up this weekend and out of touch. If you scroll up, he has had the infamous "Fresh Tank Filling" syndrome.  Sometimes it is worse than other times...based on similar threads.  It all depends on your system and the incoming water pressure.  if you have an external regulator (with gauge) like many of us have, then any high pressure CG surges or such will be eliminated or dampened. If you have them set too high, then the surges will pass through.

Bottom line, we have had many "Fresh Tank Filling" issues lately...and they are usually TWO reasons.  A bad City/Fill valve (debris and the valve leaks back...I had that and cycled and purged the debris) OR there is not a BACK FLOW PREVENTER OR CHECK VALVE in the pump.  That was Scotty's issue and he has ordered the valve and will fix his pump.

Remco, per discussion with Scotty after his phone call, did NOT offer any explanation....other than that....They don't come with a check valve any more (as they did when AquaTech was making them....and they were the "inventor" and sold out or gave the rights to Remco).  I do KNOW that the first (maybe at least first year or two) pumps that had the REMCO label had the valves.  I have one.  The tech's explanation....we quit installing.  The packaging, some 3 years supply, was used...but still had the "Check Valve Installed" logo.  There is no check valve and if you have issues with back flow, order the Remco Check valve and install it....RV Upgrades is where we recommend.

That is all Scotty relayed and we wondered...but had no explanation... and postulated that maybe many RV manufacturers were specifying NO CHECK VALVE....  Past that...call Remco and if you get a good answer....post it...

Hope this helps.... @Scotty Hutto If i misstated, please update....this was to the best of my recollection, as my corporate lawyers always trained me to say...  LOL.

Ok I understand now, I kind of lost touch following the thread in recent weeks but it started coming back as you explained it.  I’ll get the check valve and install it even though I’m currently not experiencing any of those issues. I do have the loops in the the lines but they aren’t as large as some have mentioned. Not sure if really needed if only for sound purposes. Thanks for the explanation Tom.

1 hour ago, tmw188 said:

Ok I understand now, I kind of lost touch following the thread in recent weeks but it started coming back as you explained it.  I’ll get the check valve and install it even though I’m currently not experiencing any of those issues. I do have the loops in the the lines but they aren’t as large as some have mentioned. Not sure if really needed if only for sound purposes. Thanks for the explanation Tom.

Todd,

You probably have a check valve, my coach has the Swan fresh water fill valve.  This valve does have a check valve.   This is what I have, the check valve is on the left side https://swanindustries.com/collections/retail-customer/products/copy-of-wsv150st-quick-water-fill

Mine started to drip when I wasn't hooked to shore water with pump on.  It was the check valve leaking.  So I was able to replace. 

Edited by jacwjames

I think if you have a check valve in the system to prevent recirculation back to the fresh water tank that is all you need, or at least that's all I have and it works.  I replaced my pump back in ~2012 with the Aqujet 5.3 gpm and it still works but the check valve started let water leak a little when pump was on .

13 hours ago, tmw188 said:

The loops are needed for sound reduction.  It depends on how your solid pipes are mounted and if they sit flat on the floor of the bay (some pumps are mounted flat and others many be on a wall. One person, even with the loops, still had a resonating "thump".  He installed a piece of 2 X 8 (maybe smaller or larger) as a base for the pump and put in a 1/4" rubber pad under the pad (between the plastic floor and the wooden (pressure treated) pad.  Then screwed the pump down to it.  That really quietened it down.  Also elevating the pump, since the pressure regulator is a chip mounted in a cavity on the bottom side of the pump (a design error), gave you some free space.  I THINK that Scotty had a flood and as well as I did. 

There is no rhyme or reason as to when or if a CG water supply will backfeed.  MY THEORY...  CG out west (and maybe others....but my experience) have notoriously high internal plumbing pressures and I have never run into that on the east.  Some were 125 PSI and there was a warning at every pedestal. From a physics point of view, the higher the pressure, the more likely the CG system will backfeed through the pump. I believe there is some natural restriction due to the design of the impeller and the housing.  So having on 20 PSI or so of CG pressure may not overcome the internal impeller.  That also may have prompted Remco (other than saving $5 (their cost) in the pump.

BUT, now we know what needs to be done and folks should be aware...