Modernizing my 2008 Safari Cheetah

McHughes

Added 50a Progressive Industries EMS

progressive_industries_ems.jpg

Added lock box to propane bay with a full set of keys.  Just in case.

lock_box.jpg

Replaced the 1/8" thick living room slide glides with 1/4" Teflon.  Who ever installed the original glides used sealant to bulge up the plastic glide between the screws so the screw heads wouldn't rub.  A real mess.  I've noticed that some Beaver and Safari's have these glides.  Seems most don't.  Don't know if this was done at the factory, a warranty repair  or afterwards by some shop.  These Teflon glides keep the entire floor from dragging/scraping while going in and out.   Haven't figured out why the bottom of the slide is so scratched up.

teflon_glides.jpg

15 hours ago, McHughes said:

Jeeesus,  I don't know.  Wife has said I can't get another coach..

Ya. My wife says the same thing but it’s going to happen in a couple years.  I enjoy working on improvements to my coach too but after owning it for 5 years now I’m having a hard time finding things to do. 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, McHughes said:

Added 50a Progressive Industries EMS

progressive_industries_ems.jpg

Added lock box to propane bay with a full set of keys.  Just in case.

lock_box.jpg

Replaced the 1/8" thick living room slide glides with 1/4" Teflon.  Who ever installed the original glides used sealant to bulge up the plastic glide between the screws so the screw heads wouldn't rub.  A real mess.  I've noticed that some Beaver and Safari's have these glides.  Seems most don't.  Don't know if this was done at the factory, a warranty repair  or afterwards by some shop.  These Teflon glides keep the entire floor from dragging/scraping while going in and out.   Haven't figured out why the bottom of the slide is so scratched up.

teflon_glides.jpg

You might check your slide roller, for the cause of the scratches on the slide bottom. The round rubber tube recessed into the roller on one of my bedroom slides, had managed to come half way out of the roller. This caused the metal roller to make direct contact with the slide bottom, scratching it and cracking the white plastic slide bottom cover. I haven’t figured out yet how to fix this. It’s a very tight space. I guess I’m going to have to slightly jack up the slide, so I can remove the old rubber on the roller and replace it. 

There are no rollers on the living room slide.  The slide travels on a long nylon block on the floor and is dragged across it when it goes in and out.  With the Teflon plates it  glides on the two ends instead of the entire floor.  Much less resistance.

It is the diagonal scratches that confuse me.

• 1 month later...

Mike,

Really amazing and helpful posts.  Beautiful job on every bit of it.   Thank you for sharing.  And thank you for speaking to me yesterday about the chassis upgrades.  This week brainstorming on the Frig upgrade or NOT to upgrade.  Doggone frig you got is great but of course wife wants the Black one which seems to be back ordered until November 14th.

Wanda wanted a washer/dryer.  Tired of laundromats I suppose.

Coach came washer/dryer ready.  Unfortunately it was configured for a non-vented unit so I had to move the hose bibs to the side, move drain plumbing to the right and add a dryer vent out the side of the coach.

Picked up a Splendide 2100xc from Camping World (on sale for $200 less than Amazon).  Also got the chrome outside dryer vent cover and hold down brackets.

With a heavy load, like Levis, it does shake and flex the floor of the cabinet some.  We'll see how it holds up. May eventually need building up the cabinet floor.

plumbing.jpg

washer.jpg

We used ours a lot. They are good for one day’s clothes at a time, or your sheets. One thing we had to learn is to only use a tablespoon of detergent at the most. And you need liquid softener.  They work really well if you keep it within the boundaries of their ability. 

if anyone needs the chrome dryer vent kit, I have one. I will send it to you for the cost of shipping. 

Edited by Rob and Amy Harper

Mike,

Is that in a slide?  Ours looks just like that but in the curb side slide next to our stationary frig with hose and wire conduits sweeping in and out, under the frig.  Wondering IF I HAD ONE, how it would ride in the slide.  I'm ready for it wife is not.

Not exactly upgrades but much needed repairs and maintenance.

Replaced the defective motor in the door awning.

door_awning_motor.jpg

Drilled and pinned the cup to the shaft on the main awning.  Used 1/8" roll pin to repair the stripped out "D" in the cup.

cup_pinned_awning.jpg

Replaced the "Coach Step" motor with one bought off Amazon.  I think it was about $29.95

door_step_motor.jpg

Replaced the cracked coolant tank in the Onan 8kw generator.

generator_coolant_tank.jpg

• 1 month later...

As we suspected the factory floor in the cabinet for the washer was no way stiff enough.  During spin the washer rocked back and forth violently when unbalanced.  On checking we found the floor to be only low grade 1/4" plywood. Added 3/4" 8 layer cabinet grade plywood trimmed with black plastic.  Same plastic used around the Samsung Fridge.new_floor.jpg.f92fb0ad56cb80fb8836e2d9eb316d4e.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Mike, If you run out of things to do, I have a coach that is just dying to meet you!

You have done a wonderful job, wish I was a fourth as talented as you are.  My wiring is not right, but I am not confident enough to dive into the repairs.  Seriously, do you know of a good RV place around the Oklahoma, Texas area that does a good job at a reasonable price, or at least a good job!

Awesome coach and upgrades!

Jeff

Last night we were watching one of "Matt's RV Reviews" on YouTube. They are now an Integra dealer, and he was showing off their $400,000 40' tag axle coach. We were watching him go around the exterior and interior, and noticing how inferior the quality of the Integra was compared to our 2005 Safari. I told the wife, I'd rather spend $60-100k on another 2005-2006 Monaco and then dump $100k into it for a total of $160-200k than buy one of these new coaches for $400k

I am still loving watching what you are doing with yours.

• Like 1

Rob and Amy, That is exactly why I decided to upgrade mine rather than buy a newer one.  Newer ones just did not compare in quality to what I have.

Jeff,  Thanks for the compliment.  Have plenty to do. The older I get the slower I get so my job list never gets any shorter.  As for RV repairs around Oklahoma or Texas, I am afraid I don't know of anyone. Sorry.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Texomaman73 said:

Seriously, do you know of a good RV place around the Oklahoma, Texas area that does a good job at a reasonable price, or at least a good job!

Jeff

Are you looking for someone in the D/FW area that does repairs, or anywhere in Texas? I use a GREAT guy out of Kerrville, he comes to me. I haven't used him since downsizing, but he was amazing helping me with the coach when I needed a hand with something. I did use a mobile guy up in Dallas before I moved to the Hill Country back when I needed to have my AquaHot looked at, and he was really helpful and fair, I am sure I can find who it was if you need it. It might depend on what kind of repairs you are wanting done though, thoughts?

Mike, I fully see us going back to something like we had later on in life. That Safari was just pretty much everything we wanted, other than needing some updates. I have the residential fridge in my garage we were going to install, and I LOVE your idea for updating the overhead lights, those would have been the two big items left on my list, next was going to be upgrading the steering gear. That's why I don't want to leave this group, I'm still soaking up info for when we get another Safari or Monaco later on.

Edited by Rob and Amy Harper
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Rob and Amy Harper said:

Are you looking for someone in the D/FW area that does repairs, or anywhere in Texas?

Rob,

I am living in Eufaula Ok. and am interested in the Dallas area to the OKC area at the current time, so the Dallas guy would be a nice contact to have if you happen to find it.

I think I might have found a good repair shop in Claremore Ok. yesterday.  I found a shop (RV Collection) whose owner (Eric) used to sell Monaco coaches until 2008 and he really couldn't stop talking about what an excellent coach they were.  He was showing me the chassis diagram and explaining how well built they were like he was trying to sell me a one.  He was a really nice guy and their shop charges $85 an hour compared to $125 an hour the other shops charge.  I am going to put a list together and see what all they can take care of for me.

Thanks for the reply and if you happen to come across the Dallas contact, I would be very interested in talking with him.

Jeff

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/17/2020 at 7:44 PM, McHughes said:

Added Winegard ToGo C2 Roadlink to replace the full motion sat dish.  Was a great deal.  $30/month for unl AT&T.  That is, until AT&T cancelled the plan.

New rate $90/month for 22Gb.  Not really sure if I'll continue with AT&T.

togo_c2_roadlink.jpg

Mike,

Not sure how I missed telling you about this, but I’m using a Cricket Wireless data-only SIM (AT&T’s discount prepaid brand) in my ToGo. $50/mo for 40GB, and you can add 15GB for +$10 as many times as needed.  They also have a 22GB plan for $35/mo and a 100GB plan for $90/mo. Might not work if you use a lot of data, but with a ToGo it works well for us until I find a better solution...

Heres a link to their data plans:

https://www.cricketwireless.com/data-only-plans