DirecTV DNS

Last night I had a program set to record on east coast ABC at 7 pm but it was changed to record at 10 pm on my west coast local channel. I looked at the guide and 396 east coast ABC was not there and there was on channel 390 Info a banner showing Important Information. This morning I looked at the guide and channel 396 appeared again but the 390 Info was still there. Now I never received a notice that the DNS channels were being taken away but I am beginning to wonder. Anyone else with DirecTV DNS experience this?

5 minutes ago, nyrngrz said:

Last night I had a program set to record on east coast ABC at 7 pm but it was changed to record at 10 pm on my west coast local channel. I looked at the guide and 396 east coast ABC was not there and there was on channel 390 Info a banner showing Important Information. This morning I looked at the guide and channel 396 appeared again but the 390 Info was still there. Now I never received a notice that the DNS channels were being taken away but I am beginning to wonder. Anyone else with DirecTV DNS experience this?

Tony

What "Important information" was in the banner on channel 390?

Unfortunately congress has voted to take away our DNS (East coast/west coast feeds) effective June1.  At this writing I have only lost both ABC feeds and CW (no big loss).  I have been using internet feeds to get YouTubeTV, Netflix and Amazon Prime, which is OK, but I really hate losing my ability to record east coast programming three hours ahead of my Pacific time.  I guess I can record on YouTube TV, but that’s only for the current day and cannot be used for repeat recording 

Thinking maybe I should scuttle Directv and go with Dish to save a few bucks

I'm having the same issues with ABC and CW East.  I talked to DirecTV technical support (TS) and was told Congress did not renew the Stellar law allowing them to broadcast the DNS channels.  TS said it COULD be renewed soon, BUT no promises.  He did say Customer Loyalty may give a prorated bill if it doesn't fix soon.  He also said the other channels (NBC, CBS, etc.) could go as well.

I too have been considering going to Dish.

John H.

2005 HR Ambassador, Jeep Wrangler road and Cody the JRT.

Edited by biloxi_dad
Added info.

3 hours ago, biloxi_dad said:

I'm having the same issues with ABC and CW East.  I talked to DirecTV technical support (TS) and was told Congress did not renew the Stellar law allowing them to broadcast the DNS channels.  TS said it COULD be renewed soon, BUT no promises.  He did say Customer Loyalty may give a prorated bill if it doesn't fix soon.  He also said the other channels (NBC, CBS, etc.) could go as well.

I too have been considering going to Dish.

John H.

2005 HR Ambassador, Jeep Wrangler road and Cody the JRT.

The answer is NOBODY KNOWS....See: https://tvanswerman.com/2020/06/03/directv-subs-where-are-my-network-channels/

Still only ABC and CW have been affected. I won't waste my time calling to inquire because what will be will be. I would never consider switching to Dish because I am sure they are in the same situation. If it is canceled, I will live with it.

Tony

We are considering moving to Dish.  We had Dish years ago until  they messed up their ability to offer DNS, then we switched to Direct, but now since it seems only Dish is open to allowing and making it fairly easy to change service addresses so you can get locals make them look a little more useful.  If congress doesn't act and I sure don't expect it DNS is dead for all.

DirecTV bounced me 3 years ago after 12 years with E/W feeds. They said that you could only receive the feed that is closest to your billing address. If I was on the opposite side of the country say traveling east it was too bad and I couldn't even pick up the distant networks from the west coast. Perhaps they (the AT&T buttholes) are just catching up with their account holders. 

Ken Wilcox

I’ve lost everything but Fox a good friend lost all channels and another still has all his channels so it seems random. Called Direct to cancel Fox and the lady told me to be patient it is only temporary and she was sure we would get all channels back,so I’ll wait and see. Dish is not an option.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/5/2020 at 10:12 AM, nyrngrz said:

Still only ABC and CW have been affected. I won't waste my time calling to inquire because what will be will be. I would never consider switching to Dish because I am sure they are in the same situation. If it is canceled, I will live with it.

Tony

We switched to Dish last December and have had no problems with changing our service address or getting new local channels.

Hello, this is my first post on this site.  Has anyone that lost all distant networks gotten anything back except FOX?  I noticed  Dennis indicated he got a notice about CBS and NBC.  Anyone had any luck getting them back?

2 hours ago, raynpilla said:

Hello, this is my first post on this site.  Has anyone that lost all distant networks gotten anything back except FOX?  I noticed  Dennis indicated he got a notice about CBS and NBC.  Anyone had any luck getting them back?

It's all about the money.  AT&T went into negotiations with all the networks and ABC and CW wanted too much for them to carry their broadcasts. Eventually they will most likely arrive at a consensus but for now we won't have them. Like the baseball strike a few years back, MLB lost tons of viewers over that mess. Some did come back but others, like myself learned not to miss seeing the games on Sundays. A lot of these companies feel they are "too big to fail" and maybe they are, but I know I've found more interesting things to do than watch the boob tube.....Dennis

3 minutes ago, raynpilla said:

When and did you get them back?  Did it require any work on your part?

We still have them. Regardless of the notice we received. I don't know for how long. It said June 1, 2020. That said, I'm not going to call AT&T and ask. :)...Dennis