Replacement Satellite

2 hours ago, Ray Davis said:

Ah,  the good old days, except for TVs.    TVs now don't even have vertical or horizontal controls and what good is TV without a rolling picture?  👀 😁  

Didn't Elvis shoot his TV?  I don't know why but it could have been a rolling picture.  👿

Ray, I may be able to video my Voyager monitor doing that for ya!

Give ya a flashback to the 'Good ol days' 😒!

24 minutes ago, amphi_sc said:

I thought the conversation was about attempting to use StarLink and streaming TV as an alternative replacement for Satellite TV ... "Replacement Satellite" implying new service.

You are correct.  I was responding to Woody and JD in a side post that said that Starlink was not available in Arizona.  I know for sure it is in some areas, at least for existing Roaming Starlink users.  Sorry for the confusion. 

-Rick N.

49 minutes ago, waterskier_1 said:

Are you saying you can't qualify for new Residential Service, or are you saying it won't work with an existing Roaming (what they used to call RV) account.  If the later, where specifically?

-Rick N.

It’s full for residential, roaming works, but of course is derated and now even more expensive. I accidentally switched my res to roaming while trying to turn my roaming dish back on ( I had both 2 dishes) and now Starlink will not put my Resident dish back to residential. Once you turn it to roaming, it’s stuck there 

• Like 1

On 3/17/2023 at 2:44 AM, CAT Stephen said:

Hello Denny,

To get you the right solution, please answer the following questions:

- Who is satellite provider (Dish, DirecTV, Bell, etc.)

- Do you want in-motion satellite reception?

- How many televisions do you want to use simultaneously that can be tuned to different satellite channels?

- what satellite receiver(s) would you like to use and are you flexible with potentially changing your satellite receivers?

- What part of the USA or Canada do you primarily use your RV in? 

Hello Denny,

- Who is your satellite provider (Dish, DirecTV)

- How many televisions do you want to use simultaneously that can be tuned to different satellite channels?

- what satellite receiver(s) would you like to use and are you flexible with potentially changing your satellite receivers?

- Your profile indicates that you are located in Washington.  Are you primarily using your RV in the Western USA? 

Edited by CAT Stephen
Repost

On 3/17/2023 at 2:44 AM, CAT Stephen said:

Hello Denny,

- Who is satellite provider (Dish, DirecTV, Bell, etc.)

- What part of the USA or Canada do you primarily use your RV in? 

Washington state. 

Thanks every for your input. I replied earlier but have lost it. We are on the Oregon coast. Out traveler is from my 2005 Beaver. I was told that Winegard was now owned by a company in China, which if true don’t want that. Said parts were plastic and if something went bad had to remove the whole satellite and send out to be repaired. I Agree with Tom Cherry…..so much of what has been said is way over my head with this additional comment “ more so than Tom”. When driving my wife reads and I, listen to Sirius.

when setting we have our programs, but During the daytime mostly Fox business from 6A to noon or 1 then Fox News. At night we watch the tree major news programs then Jeopardy and then reading books. Of course follow BB and Football closely.

SO we are simple TV’ers.  

again thanks for all your valued comments

denny

Denny,

The issue with the Winegard Traveler is that it is not field serviceable, thus your understanding is correct that it must be shipped to Winegard for service (The Winegard factory, not just an RV dealership and you pay the shipping charges).  Another issue with the Winegard Traveller is that almost all of its electronics are exposed to the weather on your RV roof.

The competitor to the Winegard Traveler is the RF Mogul Eagle. 

Here the the advantages of the RF Mogul Eagle versus the Winegard Traveler:

- 100% field serviceable --> No need to ever ship the unit back to the factory for service  

- Built in GPS --> Deploys faster and locks on sooner as there is no need for user input.

- All electronics located inside the RV --> The Winegard Traveler has almost all electronics on the roof being exposed to weather

- Easy conversion between DirecTV/Dish/Bell/Shaw satellite providers  --> Only some Winegard Traveller's support only one-way conversion between DirecTV and Dish. 

- Much smaller stow size on your RV roof at 37" long by 8.5" tall --> The Winegard Traveler stows to 48" long X 9.5" high

-Smaller Rotational Clearance Zone of 26"--> The Winegard Traveler clearance is larger at 33"

Here is what is the same for the RF Mogul Eagle versus the Winegard Traveler:

- Support of both Dish full eastern and western arcs --> Note that both require LNBF and Feed arm changes

- Warranty is 1 year labor and two years parts

- Both are manufactured and assembled in the United States

Here is the advantage of the Winegard Traveler over the RF Mogul Eagle

- The Winegard Traveler Pro #SK2DISH in a Dish network Western arc config is $2249.00 which is $150.00 less expensive that the RF Mogul Eagle #365-EAGLE-DISHNETWORK at~$2395.00 

You can learn more about the RF Mogul Eagle here:

https://www.rfmogul.com/rv-eagle-tv-1

Here are the dealers that sell and install the RF Mogul Eagle:

https://www.rfmogul.com/where-to-buy

Edited by CAT Stephen

1 hour ago, CAT Stephen said:

Denny,

The issue with the Winegard Traveler is that it is not field serviceable, thus your understanding is correct that it must be shipped to Winegard for service (The Winegard factory, not just an RV dealership and you pay the shipping charges).  Another issue with the Winegard Traveller is that almost all of its electronics are exposed to the weather on your RV roof.

The competitor to the Winegard Traveler is the RF Mogul Eagle. 

Here the the advantages of the RF Mogul Eagle versus the Winegard Traveler:

- 100% field serviceable --> No need to ever ship the unit back to the factory for service  

- Built in GPS --> Deploys faster and locks on sooner as there is no need for user input.

- All electronics located inside the RV --> The Winegard Traveler has almost all electronics on the roof being exposed to weather

- Easy conversion between DirecTV/Dish/Bell/Shaw satellite providers  --> Only some Winegard Traveller's support only one-way conversion between DirecTV and Dish. 

- Much smaller stow size on your RV roof at 37" long by 8.5" tall --> The Winegard Traveler stows to 48" long X 9.5" high

-Smaller Rotational Clearance Zone of 26"--> The Winegard Traveler clearance is larger at 33"

Here is what is the same for the RF Mogul Eagle versus the Winegard Traveler:

- Support of both Dish full eastern and western arcs --> Note that both require LNBF and Feed arm changes

- Warranty is 1 year labor and two years parts

- Both are manufactured and assembled in the United States

Here is the advantage of the Winegard Traveler over the RF Mogul Eagle

- The Winegard Traveler Pro #SK2DISH in a Dish network Western arc config is $2249.00 which is $150.00 less expensive that the RF Mogul Eagle #365-EAGLE-DISHNETWORK at~$2395.00 

You can learn more about the RF Mogul Eagle here:

https://www.rfmogul.com/rv-eagle-tv-1

Here are the dealers that sell and install the RF Mogul Eagle:

https://www.rfmogul.com/where-to-buy

Not Exactly.  Based on many years on the original Yahoo site, the Winegard is more robust than your comment.  Many of our members have done simple coax and cabling replacement….often, then, with tech support from Winegard.  IIRC, these were the most common malfunctions and many dealers and techs were well versed in replacing the cabling and improving the connections.  Yes, the electronics are top side, but rarely was one pulled and sent off…..at least as was posted here.

I have one and abandoned it, but it works….just can’t align as I don’t have a valid DT receiver.  Even the newer ones, which used the newer format for cabling and multiplexing worked fine….and I could use a newer DT format and it would work on mine,

1 hour ago, Tom Cherry said:

Not Exactly.  Based on many years on the original Yahoo site, the Winegard is more robust than your comment.  Many of our members have done simple coax and cabling replacement….often, then, with tech support from Winegard.  IIRC, these were the most common malfunctions and many dealers and techs were well versed in replacing the cabling and improving the connections.  Yes, the electronics are top side, but rarely was one pulled and sent off…..at least as was posted here.

I have one and abandoned it, but it works….just can’t align as I don’t have a valid DT receiver.  Even the newer ones, which used the newer format for cabling and multiplexing worked fine….and I could use a newer DT format and it would work on mine,

Tom, I have had to return my Traveler (the whole system, dish off the roof and inside control box) to Winegard two different times.  I say "return" because I took it to them on my way to the Holiday Ramblers Maintenance Session - I did not "send" it (ship it) to them since that would cost $100's. 

In addition, many years prior to that (maybe 10 - 12 years ago) I was able to send just the LNB amplifier from under the dome of my old model RoadTrip in-motion system.  Once for replacement of the SD LNB to upgrade to the HD model, again when the HD model failed under warranty. 

When the Traveler went bad, I knew that one time it was the gears/limit switches, and the other time it was the control box, but neither time would they support sending out replacement parts.  At that time they claimed parts were only for authorized repair centers, and they (in Moscow, IA) were the only such facility.  The second time I didn't remount the system, but instead sold it and bought an RF Mogul.  I have had problems with it too, but was able to procure replacement parts that allowed me to repair it on the roof (gears stripped because they used too short of mounting screws).  That one repair, not considering the cost to repair, but shipping costs only, paid for the difference in cost over the Winegard.  I have also received 2 software upgrades via email, which Winegard would require you to return the whole system.   

I don't tend to post every time I have something repaired on here, or any other forum, unless there is something about the reason or the return that others might find interesting - other than the fact that something had to be returned.  I thought these were uneventful to the community since I thought everyone already knew that the whole Winegard system had to be returned for repairs.  I don't consider replacing interconnecting cables a repair, but that's just me. 

I'm done with Winegard simply for that reason, at least for a roof mounted system that costs $100's to ship back for repairs.  I may, in the future, pick up a small portable antenna to use when I can't get a signal due to tree limbs and there are no options to move the coach.  I've only had to move the coach to a new space once, after being parked.  I check new spots with Google Views to see which sites have a view to the South.  Yes, that's a lot of effort, but I like my TV.  I like being able to record 6 channels at a time, and watch what I want, when I want, and skip through the commercials.  I can watch Dish TV where you can't get a cell signal in the Colorado & Wyoming mountains.  The places are remote, and I haven't been there in over a year, but suspect that StarLink would work too.

-Rick N. 

• Like 1

Starlink sounds like the way to go, but maybe not yet.  When it is available anywhere in the US, I'll probably pop for it.  But not yet. 

I do subscribe to Dish - their cheap package that I can use on a monthly basis.  Although I have signed up for the basic package, I use it.  I signed up for their local channel access as part of it so I can at least access local channels even if my OTA TV can't get a good signal.  When I invested in Dish equipment, Direct TV was too complicated to use and didn't offer local channel access for just the few months that I travel.  BUT Dish has been WORTHLESS to me since late February when an apparent ransom attack shut down much of their satellite access system.  It appears to still be broken as of 3/21/23.  I cannot access local channels anymore, and since that is what I bought it for, it is worthless.  Furthermore, I want to stop autopay since it doesn't work anymore and have been unable to do even that.

Anybody have a better take on what is happening at Dish?

9 hours ago, daveyjo said:

Starlink sounds like the way to go, but maybe not yet. 

Starlink would have to work through the trees also.  That'll probably never happen. 

We're on the Dish's Eastern Arc.  It's working 100% other than their limited movie content played over and over and over.  We're also on autopay, never missing a beat.

- bob

A couple of things I like about the Starlink system is that it can be moved around the campsite to find a good signal and automatically acquires the satellite signal.  Luckily so far I have been able to leave it attached to an extending pole mounted to the roof ladder.  

I think there might be some confusion on Starlink coverage. There are parts of the country that have a wait list for ordering Starlink service due to being saturated with subscribers. However, if you have a Starlink system with portability I believe it will work anywhere in the US albeit with slower speeds in the more densely populated areas.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, daveyjo said:

Starlink sounds like the way to go, but maybe not yet.  When it is available anywhere in the US, I'll probably pop for it.  But not yet. 

I do subscribe to Dish - their cheap package that I can use on a monthly basis.  Although I have signed up for the basic package, I use it.  I signed up for their local channel access as part of it so I can at least access local channels even if my OTA TV can't get a good signal.  When I invested in Dish equipment, Direct TV was too complicated to use and didn't offer local channel access for just the few months that I travel.  BUT Dish has been WORTHLESS to me since late February when an apparent ransom attack shut down much of their satellite access system.  It appears to still be broken as of 3/21/23.  I cannot access local channels anymore, and since that is what I bought it for, it is worthless.  Furthermore, I want to stop autopay since it doesn't work anymore and have been unable to do even that.

I have no idea what you are talking about.  I have been using Dish Network daily.  I have moved 6 times (new service address - new local channels) since Jan 1, 2023.  I have had no problems whatsoever.  Dish Network operates 9 (I think) satellites.  On the Western side, those are 110, 119 and 129. There are other satellites use for the East, especially the far North East.  Dish currently show possible satellites at 61.5, 72, 105, 118, 121 and 148.  I have not read anything about a cyber attack - and am sure that their total system is not "broken".  Have you called and talked to Dish Network technical support?  Is it possible that you do not have current hardware or software - specifically the antenna controller?  Several years ago, Dish Network went through a process of changing (updating) their satellite identification which required a software (firmware) update to the antenna controller to recognize the new identification.  That is how the automatic satellite antennas know they have "zeroed in" on the correct satellite.  Some Winegard satellite antenna systems were not upgradeable.  I had one of those.  I talked extensively to Winegard, trying to determine if it was a hardware or software deficiency.  I finally learned that it was a Winegard Management decision not to recode older systems, in an attempt to create increase in new system purchases.  Could this be your problem?  If you can provide more details, specifically the exact hardware and software versions, I might be able to help, or point you to someone who can.

-Rick N.

5 hours ago, daveyjo said:

I have been on the eastern part of the US as well, but frequently moving.  Reconnecting to a new spot beam when we move has been the problem.  Last time I connected was in Naples, FL and I am currently near Raleigh, NC.

Can your elaborate on the "reconnecting" problem.  Is the satellite dish unable to find the correct satellites?  Or, if it has found them, is it that you are receiving the incorrect Local channels? 

This topic becomes confusing very easily.  I understand dish will not work with Winegard if the rig is built before 2014,  mine is an 07.  I currently have Starlink at home, I heard Starlink allowed roaming, but now charges $25 for an RV.  Then I heard now you have to get a separate system for the RV.  I have not contacted Starlink yet. I can say it works great at home.  I'll need to do something in the next few months because we'll be leaving for a 60-90 day trip.

Can anyone clarify,

Does Starlink require a separate system?

Has Winegard made an update for the older Winegards?

It seems to me that long term Starlink with streaming is probably the safer way to go.

Thanks

27 minutes ago, Gweedo said:

This topic becomes confusing very easily.  I understand dish will not work with Winegard if the rig is built before 2014,  mine is an 07.  I currently have Starlink at home, I heard Starlink allowed roaming, but now charges $25 for an RV.  Then I heard now you have to get a separate system for the RV.  I have not contacted Starlink yet. I can say it works great at home.  I'll need to do something in the next few months because we'll be leaving for a 60-90 day trip.

Can anyone clarify,

Does Starlink require a separate system?

Has Winegard made an update for the older Winegards?

It seems to me that long term Starlink with streaming is probably the safer way to go.

Thanks

Things got bit different with residential Starlink. Musk does not offer portability option on monthly bases anymore. You can switch to permanent RV service and get 'best effort's service everywhere you go but that also includes at home. At least in my busy home area, I can't switch back to priority residential service once I do that but the best effort still works good for us even though it costs an extra $25/month. Dilemma for sure.

As far as the Traveller Dish, the controller could be updated unless it is below certain FW/HW revision, if needed. I don't know what it takes but I might still have the baseline somewhere. At the end, there was a new complete take-off on ebay that I snatched for very cheap and replaced the Direct TV setup for Dish. The old controller is useless but the turret is in my spare pile. Nothing is ever easy...

24 minutes ago, Ivan K said:

The old controller is useless but the turret is in my spare pile. Nothing is ever easy...

Not when your dealing with companies that are trying hard to bleed every Nickle they can out of you!

• Like 1

Someday, there will be concerns about Starlink upgrades and the $600-$1600 equipment up front cost.  Or trade ins or new purchases...  Compared to a satellite dish, Starlink seems like a bargain.  There cost of monthly service is about the same, and so far, we haven't heard that anyone got throttled to the point of being unable to stream video.  Both solutions are affected by trees. 

Let's look at radio signals.  They penetrate trees.  They come in 4G, 5G, and C- band variants these days.  One of the 3 of those is available in many many places and the footprint, like the Starlink footprint, is growing rapidly.  Products like Nomad and a few others seem to be leveraging these technologies quite well. 

Streaming is a more user-preference-specific option than satellite (even many satellite users prefer to record to the cloud and then stream to phone, tablet, computer or TV).  One or several subscriptions is still less than that of satellite. 

Every technology ages out, and then the upgrades, trade- ins, and outright forklift changeouts start.  At some point (differs by individual), one must move on.

Moving on is not a bad thing.  My old brain gets exercised, which is good for it.  The technology provides more and more, occasionally for less.  

I could blather on, but suffice it to say: read reviews online, maybe find an eager young person who can help break what for us can be new and very hard ground, and pioneer a bit in an area of new technology.  

YMMV, but I'm already all in on streaming (YouTubeTV, Prime Video, and FrndlyTV), and I will let you know what my experience is with Nomad soon for RV travel.

Sorry if this sounds like a rant... it wasn't meant to be 🙂

41 minutes ago, Steve P said:

Someday, there will be concerns about Starlink upgrades and the $600-$1600 equipment up front cost.  Or trade ins or new purchases...  Compared to a satellite dish, Starlink seems like a bargain.  There cost of monthly service is about the same, and so far, we haven't heard that anyone got throttled to the point of being unable to stream video.  Both solutions are affected by trees. 

Let's look at radio signals.  They penetrate trees.  They come in 4G, 5G, and C- band variants these days.  One of the 3 of those is available in many many places and the footprint, like the Starlink footprint, is growing rapidly.  Products like Nomad and a few others seem to be leveraging these technologies quite well. 

Streaming is a more user-preference-specific option than satellite (even many satellite users prefer to record to the cloud and then stream to phone, tablet, computer or TV).  One or several subscriptions is still less than that of satellite. 

Every technology ages out, and then the upgrades, trade- ins, and outright forklift changeouts start.  At some point (differs by individual), one must move on.

Moving on is not a bad thing.  My old brain gets exercised, which is good for it.  The technology provides more and more, occasionally for less.  

I could blather on, but suffice it to say: read reviews online, maybe find an eager young person who can help break what for us can be new and very hard ground, and pioneer a bit in an area of new technology.  

YMMV, but I'm already all in on streaming (YouTubeTV, Prime Video, and FrndlyTV), and I will let you know what my experience is with Nomad soon for RV travel.

Sorry if this sounds like a rant... it wasn't meant to be 🙂

Perhaps I'll just read a book.  LMAO, Thnx for the input.

• Haha 1

We tried to pay our Dish bill by phone and online for almost a week. I had to let a Dish service guy into my brothers home to "fix" his Dish system. I asked him about my issue and that now our bill was past due because of no communication with Dish. 

He told me straight up that Dish had been internationally hacked and viruses installed throughout their system and all

levels of Federal and other countries law enforcement dealing with cyber security were involved. Dish is currently installing a "hacker proof" new 

upgrade to their network systems and it is a slow process inorder to assure 

all customers confidental information is secure and protected. 

I have Direct in my coach since 2010 and had to upgrade receivers 3 times. Att messed me up with HD and knocked half my channels out due to

the Winegard antenna not having the HD Lnb in it. Took some doing and probably 10 plus hours on the phone but found out I could special order an RV ready HD reliever that would give me HD. Got all my channel's back and saved a huge chunk of change. 

ps Wineguard still says I have a 

"antiquated" antenna that will not work on either Direct or Dish current systems. This reciever is a 2016 year model with no record capability. The latest and greatest will not work because of no antenna to coaxial connection on the new receivers. New old stock, we know that's the way to go. Old coach 2000 Dynasty, fix- old new part!