50A to Inverter

Go to solution Solved by Bill R,

Does anyone know the physical path that the 30A AWG10 Romex takes from the main breaker panel in the rear bath to the inverter?  I plan to upgrade the feed to the inverter to the full 50A of which it’s capable.  I may also use the pre-existing 30A Romex to power 1 Air Conditioner off the inverter, after I upgrade the battery bank to 400 AH.

‘06 Knight 40DFD

Your wiring diagram is your best bet.  I don’t need or the benefit of replacing the 30 A breaker with a 50.  If you inverter is like the majority, then there is an “INCOMING” pin style breaker so the inverter’s input is limited to 30 A. Now that is from experience with the Magnum.  So, whatever the incoming CB, that’s it.  Just because a remote, that is universal for many models lad a 50 A, that doesn’t mean it will take or can safely use 50 A.

Your sales brochure lists a 2000 Watt Inverter.  That is the inverting output.  Your owners manual shows a Generic Magnum Remote.  All the 2000 watt output inverters were 3000 watts “pass through”.  That equates to 26 A at 115 VAC.  That is why 30A protection for wiring and 30 A for the incoming pin C/B.

Putting in a 50 A feed accomplishes nothing….or that’s the way I see it and also understand from Magnum….just curious….

42 minutes ago, Tom Cherry said:

Your wiring diagram is your best bet.  I don’t need or the benefit of replacing the 30 A breaker with a 50.  If you inverter is like the majority, then there is an “INCOMING” pin style breaker so the inverter’s input is limited to 30 A. Now that is from experience with the Magnum.  So, whatever the incoming CB, that’s it.  Just because a remote, that is universal for many models lad a 50 A, that doesn’t mean it will take or can safely use 50 A.

Your sales brochure lists a 2000 Watt Inverter.  That is the inverting output.  Your owners manual shows a Generic Magnum Remote.  All the 2000 watt output inverters were 3000 watts “pass through”.  That equates to 26 A at 115 VAC.  That is why 30A protection for wiring and 30 A for the incoming pin C/B.

Putting in a 50 A feed accomplishes nothing….or that’s the way I see it and also understand from Magnum….just curious….

Tom,

Thanks for the quick response!  I failed to indicate that I have already upgraded from the Magnum ME2012 to a Victron 3000 Watt, 50A Multi inverter/charger.  I don’t need the wiring diagram which will only show which wire is on what connection—which we already know; I need to know the actual path the wire takes from point A to point B, so I can pull the new 6/2 wire from the inverter back up to the breaker panel.

Edited by johncvandoren@gmail.com
Missing info

1 hour ago, johncvandoren@gmail.com said:

Tom,

Thanks for the quick response!  I failed to indicate that I have already upgraded from the Magnum ME2012 to a Victron 3000 Watt, 50A Multi inverter/charger.  I don’t need the wiring diagram which will only show which wire is on what connection—which we already know; I need to know the actual path the wire takes from point A to point B, so I can pull the new 6/2 wire from the inverter back up to the breaker panel.

Cool….have at it…. Have you considered a second subpanel?

Can you see where your power comes & goes from the main panel.

All of wire to and from the 50 amp panel in the bedroom comes from the ceiling the power from the 50 amp panel goes into the ceiling.  I was trying to trace a wire for my bedroom circuits so I had to dig into it.  Unfortunately once the wires go into the ceiling it's impossible to see the routing but I was able to use a wire tracer to get an idea general direction.  I also believe the wires to and from the main panel are routed up the refrigerator cabinet (in my coach) and into the ceiling.  Monaco did this so they could pull all the wires in the ceiling prior to construction and when the roof was dropped onto the coach they pulled the pigtails to the various locations. 

This will make it hard to mimic the original routing.  I'd suggest to just scope out a path that you think you can accomplish. 

I had to route a communication cable for the Victron battery monitor and brought it up through the floor in the bedroom, under the cabinets, through the 1/2 bath room, into the refrigerator cabinet, then up into the upper wall cabinet in the LR under the false bottom and then into the same cabinet my inverter display is.  Took me a couple days, but hay, I'm retired😁

Edited by jacwjames

• Solution

@johncvandoren@gmail.com  I have had to replace a few 120V lines in the main panel in our coach for various reasons.  I gave up trying to trace the existing wires through the coach and just decided to figure a new way to run the wire where I needed it to go.  Lot's of options when you start to look at it from the perspective of creating a new route.  Something to consider.

John,

I'm with Bill R and just create your own route.  When Monaco wired these things, they weren't thinking about you and me pulling wire to upgrade.

I did upgrade to the Victron Multiplus II about a year ago, as well, but I already had 50 amps coming in.   Quite a job rewiring everything, but pretty cool technology now that it's done.

1 hour ago, windsorbill06 said:

John,

I'm with Bill R and just create your own route.  When Monaco wired these things, they weren't thinking about you and me pulling wire to upgrade.

I did upgrade to the Victron Multiplus II about a year ago, as well, but I already had 50 amps coming in.   Quite a job rewiring everything, but pretty cool technology now that it's done.

I agree.  So what route did you take to get “50A coming in” (to the Victron)?

9 hours ago, johncvandoren@gmail.com said:

I agree.  So what route did you take to get “50A coming in” (to the Victron)?

Since my coach already had 50 amp running from the shore power cord to the transfer switch, that part was pretty easy.  My ATS is right next to my inverter location.    I think I used less than 3' of wire from ATS to victron.   Then,  I re-used the existing wire that Monaco ran from the ATS to the main circuit breaker panel in the back closet, just moved it from the ATS to the output of the Victron.  The wire was long enough.

There was other very considerable wiring needs to get everything working properly.  It's quite involved and I'm happy to share with you what I did in more detail.  I did the work by myself so not having a 'go-fer', increased the time considerably.  Before I even started this, a victron dealer gave me a $12,500 quote with a 10% 'cushion' to do what I did and that did not include the Victron components.     I have a little over 100 hours into this project, which included installation of the CerboGX and the display screen in the hallway.  

Edited by windsorbill06
  • Like 1

On 3/23/2023 at 5:40 PM, johncvandoren@gmail.com said:

Tom,

Why does the inverter need 6ga wiring? Just because the inverter has a 50a transfer switch doesn’t mean it will ever carry a 50a load. 
If you keep the stock configuration (fed from the breaker box) the inverter output is only capable of 25a, right? 
I think the inverter has 50a relays in it with the intention of installing it inline with the transfer switch and in that case it needs to carry the full 50a. 
So unless the full shore power will be passing through the inverter, there’s no need to wire it for 50a. 
I’m thinking that installing the inverter inline with the incoming shore power would be better and far more practical. 
But at the end of the day… I think most systems are bottleneck’d on the 12v side anyway. If the 12v system can’t supply a sustained 3300 watts (ie- 275a) at >11v, the inverter can’t supply 3000 watts at 120v and will shut down.

Ive got lithium batteries capable of supplying 500a, but there’s no way to deliver that to the batteries using the about 70’ round trip run of 4/0 battery cables. My voltage drop at just 1500w is substantial. 

Cheers

Walter

Edited by wamcneil
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, windsorbill06 said:

Since my coach already had 50 amp running from the shore power cord to the transfer switch, that part was pretty easy.  My ATS is right next to my inverter location.    I think I used less than 3' of wire from ATS to victron.   Then,  I re-used the existing wire that Monaco ran from the ATS to the main circuit breaker panel in the back closet, just moved it from the ATS to the output of the Victron.  The wire was long enough.

There was other very considerable wiring needs to get everything working properly.  It's quite involved and I'm happy to share with you what I did in more detail.  I did the work by myself so not having a 'go-fer', increased the time considerably.  Before I even started this, a victron dealer gave me a $12,500 quote with a 10% 'cushion' to do what I did and that did not include the Victron components.     I have a little over 100 hours into this project, which included installation of the CerboGX and the display screen in the hallway.  

I hope, if you meant to meet code as well as normal safety issues, that you put in a CB or a disconnect between the ATS and the Inverter. Your post didn't say that and maybe you did, but if not, then a subpanel or box with a single 50 Amp breaker should be installed per NEC and RVIA.

Just curious....

3 hours ago, Tom Cherry said:

I hope, if you meant to meet code as well as normal safety issues, that you put in a CB or a disconnect between the ATS and the Inverter. Your post didn't say that and maybe you did, but if not, then a subpanel or box with a single 50 Amp breaker should be installed per NEC and RVIA.

Just curious....

your right.  I didn't convey that.  I was trying to point out that the power goes towards the inverter, not the original  CB panel.

18 hours ago, johncvandoren@gmail.com said:

I do plan to upgrade the CB to 50A if I can find some solid copper 6/2+G Romex or direct-bury cable.  Mostly seeing stranded.

I believe you would want stranded wire in a mobile environment due to vibration & movement...

1 hour ago, johncvandoren@gmail.com said:

That makes sense, but all existing Romex in & out of the inverter are solid—I think! I’d better recheck!

Nope.  Or at least not on mine and in all the pictures we have seen when ATS were getting replaced. Monaco used #6 STRANDED….and the ground was also a #6.  Many of us have installed surge suppressors and used “service entrance” which is widely available.  Same 3 strands of #6, however the ground is #10 stranded.  More than adequate