How did you get this nut off?

Go to solution Solved by gdroberson,

I know there are many variations of our chassis even within the same year and model.  I have a 2002 Monaco Knight I just inherited (along with numerous issues) and I am working down the needs list, fixing as I go.  The chassis is similar to an RR4 with Westport front axle.  My newest issue is replacing the front air bags/shocks.  I purchased a kit from Source Engineering and have the parts on hand.  I have viewed many You Tube videos but none of them show the type of airbag mount I have.  I have included a picture below to show you what I am faced with.  I think the nut is 1 1/8" but I can not get an open or boxed end wrench on it because there is no room behind the nut.  The only solution I can see is to remove the 4 bolts holding the axle and lower it enough to clear the nut I have to remove.  Before I start that process I thought I would probe the minds of those whom have gone before me to see if there is a better way.

20230331_085824.jpg

Looks like you have enough room to get a box end wrench on it, soak it with penetrating oil and put a little heat to it to free up the rust. If the box end doesn't fit you can grind it a little thinner.

You didn't care about the old air bag, attack it with an air chisel or a grinder. I'd go straight at the bolt between the air bag lower plate and the 1/4" steel plate or you could cut the rubber out of the way and start grinding.

Worst case take a spark wrench to it and scrafe the bolt/nut enough you can break/chisel it off.

Where there is a will, there is a way. Have fun.

I appreciate the good ideas but I am also hoping to find someone who has actually changed the air bags mounted in this same method.

I do not know if the nut is frozen or not since I can not get a wrench on it.

The bolt is recessed so far in that I doubt that I can get a socket wrench on the crows foot but I will look closer at that solution.

Even if I can get the nut off using a destructive method I still have to put the new bag back on so I need to have a non-destructive method to tighten the nut. 

• Like 1

I would say that a box wrench would be the right tool. If it seems like there's not enough room for your box wrench to slide up on the back side have a close look at your box wrench. They're not all created equal. It might be possible to get a box wrench with a thin wall that will fit where yours won't.

Edited by Tom Wallis
  • Like 1

If you can't get an open end wrench in there buy a cheap box wrench and grind it thinner to slide under the nut.  Too thin and the wrench will break.  You might need to hit the wrench with a hammer (not that I've never done that before).

And no, I've never changed an air bag before.

- bob

• Like 1

I had the same issue on a Freightliner chassis.  I did the rear axle myself, it was straightforward and fairly easy.  Then I stewed and puzzled on how to get that nut off the front air spring when it was so close to the front axle.  I finally took it to Freightliner.  They put the coach on a lift and lowered the front axle.  Even after that, they had to use a big impact wrench to get that nut loose.  It was worth it to me to pay their labor charge, I simply could not have done that job myself.

Richard

• Like 1

I still have to try the solution but I called gdroberson and he told me about how he did it.  He also told me about a youtube video showing how to make a special tool to help with the process.  I have to build a tool to do the job but others have done it successfully so I expect I will be too.  Thanks for all the help.

I would spray the threads with PB Blaster right now (and make sure you spray the four axle bolts plus the threads on the top of the air bag also).  Then spray everything again.  And spray again the night before you are removing the air bags.  

Try to get the box end wrench on the nut.  If it won't fit, loosen the four bolts holding the axle for more clearance. 

If you needed to do this more than once, then I'd make the special tool, but this is a one-time change and the new air bags should be good for another 20 years.  

Edited by vito.a

I have replaced lots of these air bags, your best bet is a cutting torch .

As of a couple of hours ago, I got the nuts off.  First I built a cut socket/flat stock welded tool.  It fit well but I am not a good enough welder and the 2 parts broke apart.  Next I took my 1 1/8" box wrench and heat straightened the head.  I next became friends with my grinder and thinned the metal at the end as well as the thickness of the handle.  By putting upward pressure on the wrench with a pry bar I was able to break free and remove the nuts.

To aid whoever does this job next time I plan on replacing the nuts with ones with almost no rounding of the outside so a wrench will be able to get a good bite on the nut.   I also plan on adding some washers under the nuts so they will be more accessible.  I have lots of room between the end of the stud and the end of the nut so washers will not be a problem.

After testing my welding skills, I doubt I should try a cutting torch in such a confined space.  I just went to a lot of work to fix the motorhome, no sense in burning it down.

20230403_175030.jpg

20230403_175042.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...