Instrument Cluster

My Instrument cluster will sporadically stop working. What could be the issue? 

I had one person tell me that I need a new cluster. 

With my coach being a 2003 it's hard to find parts for certain systems. 

This morning the batteries where completely dead (my fault. Newbie here. Must turn off all abrtery switches). Got the batteries going and she started. However the instrument panel was not working. Got down the road about 20 mins and now the instrument panel is working. Other times I've started the coach and the panel would not work and after driving for a little bit the instrument panel would start working again. 

When the panel stops working here are the following gauges that don't work. MPH, RPM, Volts, Oil Pressure,  Water Temp. (Some of my gauges don't work at all fuel, Trans temp) also get a constant alarm sound and an ABS TAG warning (ABS only comes on momentarily when I first depress the brake pedal).  When the cluster stops working also my JAKE BREAK stops working. 

Fun times. 

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated 

20230403_095511.jpg

My Instrument cluster will sporadically stop working. What could be the issue? 

I had one person tell me that I need a new cluster. 

With my coach being a 2003 it's hard to find parts for certain systems. 

This morning the batteries where completely dead (my fault. Newbie here. Must turn off all abrtery switches). Got the batteries going and she started. However the instrument panel was not working. Got down the road about 20 mins and now the instrument panel is working. Other times I've started the coach and the panel would not work and after driving for a little bit the instrument panel would start working again. 

When the panel stops working here are the following gauges that don't work. MPH, RPM, Volts, Oil Pressure,  Water Temp. (Some of my gauges don't work at all fuel, Trans temp) also get a constant alarm sound and an ABS TAG warning (ABS only comes on momentarily when I first depress the brake pedal).  When the cluster stops working also my JAKE BREAK stops working. 

Fun times. 

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated 

there is a common ground to the instrument cluster.  you will find, most likely a green wire....if not, you are going to have find the ground. some folks have run a new ground as the stud that has the ground (or terminal strip) is not getting a good ground.  BUT...you MUST find and trouble shoot the ground....otherwise splicing or hooking up blind will cost you a fortune and your parts ain't available...

• Thanks 1

When your Jake stops working in that situation, is the cruise and possibly dash fan also out? I had an intermittent solenoid in FRB do that. Your gauges might be wired to it as well but of course, checking the daisychained ground is a good advice. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Tom Cherry said:

there is a common ground to the instrument cluster.  you will find, most likely a green wire....if not, you are going to have find the ground. some folks have run a new ground as the stud that has the ground (or terminal strip) is not getting a good ground.  BUT...you MUST find and trouble shoot the ground....otherwise splicing or hooking up blind will cost you a fortune and your parts ain't available...

Thank you. 

I've never been taught how to chase down wires. Do you have a suggestion on a video or a online course?

I was told I can run new ground wire(s) from the cluster to the chasis. To give the cluster a secure ground. 

7 hours ago, Ivan K said:

When your Jake stops working in that situation, is the cruise and possibly dash fan also out? I had an intermittent solenoid in FRB do that. Your gauges might be wired to it as well but of course, checking the daisychained ground is a good advice. 

I'm not sure. I'll have to try those things. I was told that my solenoids could be my problem for the instrument panel issue. When it's really cold the instrument panel won't work then when it's been running and warms up it starts working. 

This is beyond all my current knowledge.  I'm on a bug learning curve. This is 3 weeks in. Lol