Tire Mount Demount tool works on my 255/70R22.5 GY Endurance.

Go to solution Solved by Ivan K,

I had to try it.  It works, not as good as the video of the young women changing a 24" rim shows on YouTube,  took me about 2 hours.  Next one will go faster now that I have it figured out. The ratchet strap helped to pull the bottom bead up high enough for the claws to grab it. I'm going for both steer tires today.  Maybe the back four tomorrow after a couple ibuprofen and a nap.

IMG_4795.JPG

IMG_4796.JPG

Looks like fun.  I wish I had paid more attention to my Grandfather changing his Split-Rims on his  truck.  Now at 70 yrs. It’s probably going to have to be a real emergency for me to tackle my 6 tires.

thanks for sharing 

• Like 1

Too much work and hassle for this 79 year old to be messing with tires. I will gladly pay the $25 for each tire mounting when changing out tires. Those guys at Josam's are the best. Plus, they make sure the DOT code is readable from the outside AND they make sure the yellow marker on the side of the tire lines up with the valve stem.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

You watch that yellow dot on your steer tires and see if it stays there 🤨!

Same potential with the tags and their relatively low pressure and sideways forces, mainly after a heavy braking action. It shouldn't happen but it can and active balancing is a winner then. I noticed the bead breaks much easier with aluminum rims than steels, they just feel tighter than my Alcoas.

10 hours ago, 96 EVO said:

I always move steer tires to the tag position, so the yellow dot is long gone.

Next time I do it, I'll magic mark the tires/ rims, and see if they are spinning as well.

No need.  Yellow dot should have been lined up with the valve stem.  Make your own "yellow dot" before you dismount the steer.

3 minutes ago, Ray Davis said:

Don't remember ever seeing my yellow dot,  what's it for?

Yellow dot shows the light balance point on a bare tire.  The valve stem offsets the weight and makes balancing a weee bit easier (in theory).

- bob

15 hours ago, Robert92867 said:

I had to try it.  It works, not as good as the video of the young women changing a 24" rim shows on YouTube,  took me about 2 hours.  Next one will go faster now that I have it figured out. The ratchet strap helped to pull the bottom bead up high enough for the claws to grab it. I'm going for both steer tires today.  Maybe the back four tomorrow after a couple ibuprofen and a nap.

What did you use to to unseat the bead?  slide hammer?  Any issues seating the bead during re-inflation?

I couldn't find any videos of scantily clad young women changing 24" truck tires, but I did run across this one that was pretty informative (although old).  It even had troubleshooting tips at the end.  How was that nap?

https://youtu.be/qYsLwWJMJQ0

I'm thinking of taking this on . . . . the last time I had an RV in a shop they left diesel footprints, not to mention the hassle of arranging to drop it off / pick it up and their possibility of failing to install the balancing beads I bought. 

- bob

Edited by cbr046

1 hour ago, Ray Davis said:

Don't remember ever seeing my yellow dot,  what's it for?

Ray, these dots don't last long. This one i installed a couple weeks ago. Some tires have more than one dot, different color, to mark their heavy spot and new rims might have a mark for their light spot so they could be matched that way too. Otherwise, the valve position of the rim is assumed the heaviest. 

Screenshot_20230404_100134_Gallery.jpg

Guest Ray Davis
49 minutes ago, cbr046 said:

What did you use to to unseat the bead?  slide hammer?  Any issues seating the bead during re-inflation?

Like Richard above said I'm past the age ( 82 ) but I have wrestled with tires before.  Living out in the country causes one to do things one normally wouldn't / shouldn't.

One thing I came to realize is the smaller the size the harder it is to change tires, up to a point, then I'm sure they rapidly get harder.

Back to the questions,  many times I have used my PU to drive across the tire edge to break the bead from the wheel.  Other times I have placed a board butting up to the rim and driving up on the board.   I have also used the bucket on my tractor to press down on the tire,  however,  not many folks have a tractor.

As for seating the bead, when necessary I have used a ratchet strap wrapped around the tire and ratcheted away this will spread the bead.   I do not recommend anyone do this but I have sprayed starter fluid into the tire and struck a match.  A mini explosion instantly seats the bead to the wheel, exciting stuff.

Edited by Ray Davis

15 minutes ago, Ray Davis said:

Like Richard above said I'm past the age ( 82 ) but I have wrestled with tires before.  Living out in the country causes one to do things one normally wouldn't / shouldn't.

One thing I came to realize is the smaller the size the harder it is to change tires, up to a point, then I'm sure they rapidly get harder.

Back to the questions,  many times I have used my PU to drive across the tire edge to break the bead from the wheel.  Other times I have placed a board butting up to the rim and driving up on the board.   I have also used the bucket on my tractor to press down on the tire,  however,  not many folks have a tractor.

As for seating the bead, when necessary I have used a ratchet strap wrapped around the tire and ratcheted away this will spread the bead.   I do not recommend anyone do this but I have sprayed starter fluid into the tire and struck a match.  A mini explosion instantly seats the bead to the wheel, exciting stuff.

82? 👍  I'm still a young and stupid 69 y old.  Try changing a wheel barrow or lawn mower tire - it takes at least 4 arms! 

I've driven on top of a bead and it didn't break the first time.  Maybe a bottle jack against the frame would dismount the bead.  Just more wrastlin'  If it lifts the RV I'm in big trouble.  I've found truck tire sidewalls to be a lot more forgiving. 

I've done the ratchet strap (more than once).  Momma gave me enough brains not to use starter fluid.  Just kidding, just not brave enough to try it . . . yet I'll ride a motorcycle @ 30 mph between trees 40" apart.

- bob

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cbr046 said:

Try changing a wheel barrow or lawn mower tire - it takes at least 4 arms! 

Did just that not long ago. What a nightmare trying to get the new innertube valve out the hole in the little rim!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 96 EVO said:

Did just that not long ago. What a nightmare trying to get the new innertube valve out the hole in the little rim!

They make a fish that screws onto the valve stem that can be pulled through the hole first.  There's one that screws into the inside of the valve stem, too.   I don't have either, but they are available.

https://www.amazon.com/Milton-S-447-Valve-Fishing-Tool/dp/B000COS0O2  less than $6

- bob

• Like 1

I sometimes use an air blaster to seat the beads but bit of gasoline in wide four wheeler tires makes for more fun! As far as the beads on our MH, they pretty much just slide off on their own, maybe a kick at most. Steel inner rims take some more jumping on them but never had to use a hammer. Now, the tires on my big tractor take a special tool to break them loose so we had a field service change that.

IMG_20230404_111909535.jpg

Edited by Ivan K

34 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

I solved THAT problem! Went to Harbor Freight and purchased a SOLID tire for the wheelbarrow.

I've worked in tire stores several times in my career and changed lots of tires of all sizes with all sorts of equipment including the bar in the above photo. I'm 71 now and I can still do it if I have to but for the most part I'd rather take the MH over to Les Schwabs and have some 20 something guy get dirty doing it. The only hard part then is trying not to supervise. I do everything else myself but usually not tires. However, I did have to do one of my tractor tires the other day. I discovered that my jack hammer with a shovel bit works pretty good for breaking the bead if you don't have a tire hammer.

• Like 1

Guest Ray Davis
8 hours ago, 96 EVO said:

Gota spring for 'brand new' tires, if you want yellow dot's, Ray 😂!

Brand new,  are you kidding?  Do you know what those things cost?  Next time I buy tires I'm gonna make them show me the yellow dot & tell them where to put it.

I kept my old rear tires last time and those 295s are heavy.   A skinny Hispanic man about 35 & all muscle & bone loaded them in my PU.  I'm sure he could see that the  old man would never be able to swing them up and in.  Of course, he was right,  I might pull something just trying.   I did sell those tires but I'm not sure it was worth the hassle.  Sold them to a used tire shop for IIRC $100 each,  that's $400,  maybe it was worth the hassle. LOL