Starting Batteries

mitchellg2241

I had 2 NAPA 12v Wet Commercial starting Batteries with18 Months Free Replacement part # 7236.

They lasted 8 years which I think is pretty good in Florida, especially when I don't use my RV that much.

They were $236.68 total for both, out the door.

Just priced 2 new, same model $363.54 includes 20% promo till end of April.

Reserve Capacity

175 min

Cranking Amperage 1170 A
Cold Cranking Amperage 950 A

Is that a good deal or any suggestions.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40'

330 Cummins Pusher

Thanks,

Mitchell

Personally, and many experienced folks here like and use the Interstate 31-MHD.  The list on them is $180.  I bought them for maybe $140 a few years ago….directly from the Interstate Distributor at a “fleet discount” price.  They last quite well and was what Monaco was using in the Dynasties and up from maybe 2006 on.  

https://www.interstatebatteries.com/commercial-vehicles/trucking-batteries/starting-batteries

Look at the specs and compare….very similar to yours.  I was told that Exide was NAPA’s private label vendor….and had good luck with a few.  

Interstate is everywhere as is NAPA.  Keep a maintainer on them if you don’t have BIRD charging.  Preferably a 3 stage with desulfonization cycle.  My Vette has one on it now and I get great life out of a not used often battery.

• Like 2

You can also look at Batteries Plus and what they have that is equivalent. They usually stock Duracell and other batteries.

Only 18 month warranty? Interstate has a better warranty.

That said the Interstate battery for the Honda CR-V toad had to be replaced under warranty after 15 months.

17 hours ago, Tom Cherry said:

Personally, and many experienced folks here like and use the Interstate 31-MHD.  The list on them is $180.  I bought them for maybe $140 a few years ago….directly from the Interstate Distributor at a “fleet discount” price.  They last quite well and was what Monaco was using in the Dynasties and up from maybe 2006 on.  

https://www.interstatebatteries.com/commercial-vehicles/trucking-batteries/starting-batteries

Look at the specs and compare….very similar to yours.  I was told that Exide was NAPA’s private label vendor….and had good luck with a few.  

Interstate is everywhere as is NAPA.  Keep a maintainer on them if you don’t have BIRD charging.  Preferably a 3 stage with desulfonization cycle.  My Vette has one on it now and I get great life out of a not used often battery.

Costco is you best source for hight capacity starting batteries.  They are an exclusive distributor for interstate batteries and sell them for less than the competition.

They sell a “Junior” deep cycle house battery.  It weighs about 10 - 12 pounds less and is below, memory, 200 AMP HOURS, not the OEM sized 225 AMP HOURS.  I bought one in 2019 or so for a golf cart as I was selling it.  Had I driven about 30 miles, I could have purchased the TROJAN T-105 (the GOLD standard) for $10 more.

Just be careful and read the specs and know exactly what you want.  I vaguely remember calling the Interstate distributor and he said they didn’t stock, but if I ordered it, my price would be $10 less.  But I needed it then.

Make sure that the cranking battery is the one I posted earlier and a FULL 950 CCA….NOT the cheaper one…which Monaco put in the Camelot and didn’t last.

Some like Ford.  Some like Chevy….others Ridgelines…. Buy what you have confidence in….but bear in mind that many of us have run the Interstate OEM (I had the smaller) and got 5 plus years.  Many also, in the Dynasty, had the 950 and got 7 years out of the OEM’s and the replacement.  If you ever have an issue under warranty, then they are nationwide.  I have  lot  personal experience with many vehicles and I try to point out why I might have a preference….but will say that the NAPA Exide gave me great performance in my Gasser…and I switched to Trojan as my gold .standard House.  Failing to find them, then the REAL 220/225 Interstate would be my second choice…. I run Interstate in my 3 personal vehicle fleet as well as the 4 other vehicles that my kids and GK have as I am the “chief mechanic”.  Only non Interstate is the GM ATS AGM aaa they don’t (as well as others) nave the vented model.

I paid about the same &135 for my OEM 950 at my Interstate distributor….so, my choice….your choice….

Trashing should not be done here as it just inflames some folks and sets a bad example….thanks….

• Like 1

I’m looking to change out my start batteries these are fried i have to charge them each time I crank.

I’m gong with

Lifeline GPL-3100T AGM RV/Marine Battery 

Volts 12

Length In (mm) 12.9 (327.8)

Width In (mm) 6.74 (171.3)

Height In (mm) 9.27 (235.5)

Weight LB (kg) 67 (30.4)

Cold Cranking Amps

68F 1120

32F  950

0F     810

They are made by Concord a company known for aviation batteries made in the USA at their plant (stats pulled from their web site)

• Like 1

I guess this qualifies as a Lazy Question. Our MS is in storage a state away and I want to by some replacement chassis batteries in advance of our next trip. Ours are at least 6 years old and we are planning an extensive trip so I am trying to avoid as much on the road drama as is reasonable. The coach is a 2005 Safari Cheetah with CAT C7 engine and two chassis batteries. I can not recall the size but I believe they are 31T's. Can some one in the group confirm that?

Not sure exactly but a Group Size 31 should work great just verify you compartment size to make sure they will physically fit!Napa has a good battery in the Group 31 size made in the USA.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BAT7234 

Hope this helps! I looked online and didn't see any battery specifications for the Cheetah but this is a very common battery.

I had at least 7-8 years old same as above Napa group 31 batteries, still worked but tested at about 600 CCA. Replaced with similar Duracells from Battery Plus, $139 -10% online discount that the store matched. They come with posts or studs, your choice. Will see how good they are but have good reviews.

On 4/7/2023 at 6:16 PM, Traveling Dodsons said:

I’m looking to change out my start batteries these are fried i have to charge them each time I crank.

I’m gong with

Lifeline GPL-3100T AGM RV/Marine Battery 

Volts 12

Length In (mm) 12.9 (327.8)

Width In (mm) 6.74 (171.3)

Height In (mm) 9.27 (235.5)

Weight LB (kg) 67 (30.4)

Cold Cranking Amps

68F 1120

32F  950

0F     810

They are made by Concord a company known for aviation batteries made in the USA at their plant (stats pulled from their web site)

My motorhome still has the Duracell 31C batteries it had when I purchased it used over 11 years ago. I don’t know how old they were when I bought the coach. I know I should probably replace them just because but I’m really proud of them.

CA   32f 1140a         
CCA 0f.   950a

• Like 1

I'm also looking at replacing my chassis batteries before my trip in May. I'm looking at Interstate 31-MHD(950 cca $175 ) and Interstate 31- XHD (1000 cca $215). Other than the cca and price they seem identical. I'm leaning towards the XHD for the little extra starting power even though I think it may be negligible. Anyone have any insight as to the difference of these batteries? Thanks!