Phantom Gen Start

JDCrow
Go to solution Solved by 96 EVO,

I’ve owned my Dip for 2 years now and have never, ever had this happen.

I currently have it winterized and I keep a small space heater in there to turn on when I go over and do some work inside. It’s hooked to 50 amps 24/7

This morn, I left for work and thought my jeep was loud, turns out tue generator was on! Got inside and turned it off on the dash. 

I have ZERO idea why this happened. Any direction on where to start looking? 

I’ll add, that I’ve changed the inverter/charger, have new batteries, no Gen start modules that I know of. 

I’ll add, that I’ve changed the inverter/charger, have new batteries, no Gen start modules that I know of. 

• Solution

This seem's to be an issue with the 7.5 and 8kw gen's.

Several members on IRV have discovered moisture in the large connector alongside the gen cabinet. May or may not be your issue.

Have you driven on wet roads recently?

1 hour ago, 96 EVO said:

Several members on IRV have discovered moisture in the large connector alongside the gen cabinet. May or may not be your issue.

As Ben said, I had to clean that connector just yesterday, not the first time either eventhough it is sealed, just not enough. Ours never started on its own but a couple of times it just started priming whenever it wanted and thats with 12.5kw. Same connector on all of them.

41 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

She’s been sitting since Nov, but it has been a very wet winter. 

I’m headed out of town for a funeral, I’ll be back Monday and take pics and look. 

Thanks! 

WD40 is a great way to get rid of moisture as it was developed for NASA....the 40th concoction.  then pull apart and clean.  Some say spray with ELECTRONIC cleaner, but i don't.

• Like 1

Mine has done that twice in eight years. I took that connector apart, but it looked pristine inside. I hadn’t driven recently either time and it hadn’t rained. The first time I still had the original trace inverter, the second time was after replacing the trace with a magnum so the AGS systems were different. 

2 hours ago, dennis.mcdonaugh said:

Mine has done that twice in eight years. I took that connector apart, but it looked pristine inside. I hadn’t driven recently either time and it hadn’t rained. The first time I still had the original trace inverter, the second time was after replacing the trace with a magnum so the AGS systems were different. 

Yeah I switched my inverter to a Multiplus 2, but do not have AGS. I don’t believe my old xantrax had it either. But likewise, the connector was pristine inside.

Where I live, I fear pack rats (wood rats)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JDCrow said:

Where I live, I fear pack rats (wood rats)

One owner is convinced an animal started his. He could see paw prints around the start / stop switch.

I find it hard to believe an animal wouldn't bolt as soon as the gen moved or made a noise, but I guess it's possible.

6 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

One owner is convinced an animal started his. He could see paw prints around the start / stop switch.

I find it hard to believe an animal wouldn't bolt as soon as the gen moved or made a noise, but I guess it's possible.

Yeah not sure they could hold down the button that long LOL

The rats chew all wire. I need to redo my Starlink wire as they got in the shed and ate it. They are relentless. We did get some cats in, they just showed up. The rats/mice have gone down substantially 

C4069298-D2E2-4A64-AAB1-4D8A36499730.jpeg

I had multiple instances of trouble with the connector, from not being able to stop or start it, to no indicator light or random priming. However, no false starts yet, that I know of. The connector always looks spotless but cleaning and tying it down always fixed it, until next time so I have no good reason to suspect switches or wiring. Dielectric grease on the inside but I suspect the TX humidity is the culprit and gets in from the wire side of connector halves. But it only happened a couple of years apart so I don't worry much. Good to know that starlink cable is attractive to those suckers. We had a few cats in the past but they don't last long out here in the coyote country. 

On 4/7/2023 at 10:07 AM, JDCrow said:

I’ve owned my Dip for 2 years now and have never, ever had this happen.

I currently have it winterized and I keep a small space heater in there to turn on when I go over and do some work inside. It’s hooked to 50 amps 24/7

This morn, I left for work and thought my jeep was loud, turns out tue generator was on! Got inside and turned it off on the dash. 

I have ZERO idea why this happened. Any direction on where to start looking? 

Yeah, mine did that a few years ago - only time in 19 years I've owned the coach.

I took the connector apart - the only one, blew it out, checked for corrosion (none), then applied a generous amount of dielectric grease and it hasn't done it since. Even though it was a foggy night, it did not appear to be wet so I can't really say for sure what the issue was.

There is a small shelf right above it - I imagine that it is there to keep water from falling directly on the connector.