Black tank vent blockage

engine103

OK, 2000 Monaco Signature Adm. still chasing venting problem for black tank. Started  today by inserting garden hose into each roof vent far enough to hit bottom of tank, no blockage. Turned water on to back fill from roof vent and could see water going into gray tank. Switch hose to other vent and water still going into gray tank. I thought one vent would have been for each tank. Previous owner had a washer dryer installed so I'm sure there was some plumbing modification going on. Attached are photos one of holding tanks showing three vent pipes, two for gray and one for black. I just don't know where the other end for the black vent pipe is. Do you see any thing in the laundry closet that might be the vent or causing a blockage? Thanks, Jim

IMG_4403.JPG

IMG_4404.JPG

IMG_4405.JPG

Hey Jim, wow, there is some monkey business going on. I attached a pic of ours. No idea why you would have two vents for gray but I bet that your black vent hose is the one capped by plastic, the middle pipe in your last pic. Someone messed it up because if your gray tank was forward of black, it would have worked out just fine for the washer drain, the second gray 'vent' pipe would be in correct location for the washer. See my pic, it should have been an identical coach. I think you need to do some cutting and re piping there...

IMG_3014.JPG

Once again Ivan, thanks. Under the tape and plastic baggie was this check valve. I purchased the MH in December '17 and they may have had it covered for the winter and forgot to tell me about it. What I don't understand that the vents in both black and gray look factory. When the weather cools I'll make a better repair.

IMG_4413.JPG

Hopefully the check valve works real good until you get to it...  it looks to me like a factory mess up, hidden behind the washer. The washer was not an option, it came standard with Signatures so nobody might have known about it, I think.

I would cap the gray tank pipe just above the T and leave the p-trap in place, in case you want to use it later. A couple of 45  degree elbows would join the black tank pipe to the now available roof vent pipe.

The original and reoccurring problem was when the black tank valve was opened to dump, it would flow about a gallon or two then "choke" up. The only way it would give up the rest of the content was to open the flush valve on the toilet. And with a mild explosion as air entered the tank it would dump as expected. (do not ask your wife to do this) Now that the check valve has been unwrapped it works great. Jim

I can't comment about the vent being on the bottom of commode as it was replaced with an upgraded unit some time ago. Jim