B&B Mechanical Services - Daytona Beach FL

Dr4Film

I recently had my coach serviced at B&B Mechanical Services in Daytona Beach., FL. I had been recommended to this shop by a customer while working at Sam's Club in Daytona Beach. I first went to talk with them and then setup an appointment to drop off the coach for engine, chassis and transmission service.

They are not cheap plus they are a "drop off" service shop because they are always very busy with their Fleet Service of diesel buses and need to schedule 1-2 weeks out.

The hourly shop charge is $150. I don't mind paying for excellent quality service when it comes to my coach//home.

My coach now has 103K on the ODO plus I had very little service history when I purchased it last year in February.

I had them do an oil/filter change, fuel filter change, complete chassis lube and since I needed two new transmission cooling hydraulic hoses I had them do a complete transmission service at the same time. That included dropping the pan, changing the filters, all new TranSyd fluid plus the new hoses.

The cost for the transmission service was $679

The cost for the new hoses was $497 plus two hours to install.

The cost for the engine and chassis service was $507. I supplied the oil filter and two fuel filters as they use Baldwin filters which I prefer NOT to use. They also topped off the differential fluid with 3 quarts of 75/140 Synthetic Gear Oil and charged me for 28 quarts of Shell engine oil. I thought the ISL-400 took only 26 quarts based on the manual specs but I guess the spec sheet was wrong.

Overall, I am very pleased with their service and professionalism even though like I stated earlier, they are not cheap.

B & B Mechanical Services, Inc. -Mechanic in Daytona Beach , FL , 32114 (bandbmechanicalservices.com)

Other then the cost of the hoses the prices seem OK.   My hoses are fairly short, now sure it would cost to have them made but I'm sure I could get it done for a lot less then that.

But I'm sure glad I can do this type of work myself yet but I'm sure the day will come when I'll have pay someone as I'm feeling older every day.   

Edited by jacwjames

My transmission cooling hoses are very long. They travel from the rear of the transmission to the stand-alone transmission cooling condenser located above the frame just to the left of the engine near the front as you are looking into the engine compartment. My guess is that they are about 7-8 foot or so each.

Edited by Dr4Film

43 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

My transmission cooling hoses are very long. They travel from the rear of the transmission to the stand-alone transmission cooling condenser located above the frame just to the left of the engine near the front as you are looking into the engine compartment. My guess is that they are about 7-8 foot or so each.

Is your transmission cooler just air cooled or does it have a fan??

When I added my auxiliary transmission cooler located at the back for the rig I needed 2 long hoses, had them made a supply house.  I think they cost ~$200. 

I know that the shops usually have a ~50% markup on supplies. 

Either way it is what it is, as long as you are satisfied that's all that matters. 

23 hours ago, jacwjames said:

Is your transmission cooler just air cooled or does it have a fan??

When I added my auxiliary transmission cooler located at the back for the rig I needed 2 long hoses, had them made a supply house.  I think they cost ~$200. 

I know that the shops usually have a ~50% markup on supplies. 

Either way it is what it is, as long as you are satisfied that's all that matters. 

There is no fan on this condenser. It just sits in its location. However, it is somewhat close to the hydraulic fan that cools the side condenser stack. I will attempt to take a photo and post it later.

22 hours ago, Scotty Hutto said:

Richard, just for the record my ISL400 takes 28 quarts, although the manual says 24. I wonder if there was a slightly deeper oil pan on some models?

That's good to know. Obviously, the "engineers" writing the manuals lacked a few cards in their deck.

$150 hr is reasonable compared to the bend over price of $187 in my neck of the woods. I tell them they are too high. That’s a MH price no matter what they are doing. I did recently find a qualified place to do some chassis work for $140 hr so I hope I’ll like them.