Wabco Air Dryer - Questions and Filter info

dandick66

The standard WABCO filter is R950011, new part number is 4324102227

The oil coalescing filter is R950068A, new part number is 4329012482

Either filter fits and will work.  The oil coalescing filter is supposed to be able to trap and remove oil mist.  Of course it costs more.  Based on my situation, I ordered the coalescing one and installed it yesterday.  We’ll see how great it is.  $85 on Amazon.

10 hours ago, Tom Cherry said:

NOW, if you are a "Curious CUSS", Call Wabco and ask them for the NEW (I think there may be at least 4) PN that replaced or will work just as well as the R950011.  If you do that, then please contact @Frank McElroy.  He is the Parts Guru....and will update the Parts List.  

Frank, I have used the above part numbers for the R950011.  I DID look them up and the 2008 Dynasty has the same number as my 2009 Camelot...so it seems pretty universal.  You can add them.

Mike....that's it.  I agree with Ben, I THOUGHT I had seen the WABCO on Amazon....but right not, it is AWOL...

The parts list already lists the Monaco original R950011 air dryer filter.  For the next revision I'll include the new replacement part numbers on both the original and coalescing filter.  A google search of the old part numbers will also bring up the new replacement part numbers.

"Is this a Chinese filter?"

Yes it is. Here is the main office. I looked them up after they came up on Amazon constantly. Companies pay Amazon for top search ranking so that doesn't count for anything.  I'm not sure that they solely specialize in the design and manufacture of air filters.  They also have a very nice line of rubber hose and chrome lug nuts.  Chinese filters in my opinion are simply to risky even if they were offered for free. 

After having to rebuild 6 carburetors due to rust on a vintage motorcycle a few years ago I cut the fuel filter in half and discovered that it was a fake, made in Russia of all places. Bought it from a large regional auto parts chain. They offered me another filter. The decision to rebuild the carbs myself was one of those "hold my beer moments". Never do that again.

about-torqueusa.jpg

On 4/26/2023 at 11:19 AM, Tom Cherry said:

Mike,

Did you look on the existing filter.  I checked your manual.  YES...it says R950011.  That is what mine says.  I think that the P number is just some wrong information.  Here are the part numbers that I have.... and I KNOW they work.

Baldwin BA3574 - I TRUST BALDWIN....yes...I used them for the engine air filter

Fleetguard AF27817 - Again, I run these OEM Cummins parts...of course

Donaldson P953571 - Same as Baldwin....I have run their air filters.

Bendix 109994 - This is in the Parts List....and I would trust Bendix, since they invented or are the daddy rabbit in air brakes....

I TOTALLY agree with you.  Buy a NAME brand....  FWIW, during my research, which I added two part numbers to my own records....I ONLY found the Donaldson on Amazon for $60.  NAPA gets over $100 for one of them.  GO FIGURE.  Any of the FOUR aftermarket Brands or NOT OEM above, IMHO, will be trustworthy.

NOW, if you are a "Curious CUSS", Call Wabco and ask them for the NEW (I think there may be at least 4) PN that replaced or will work just as well as the R950011.  If you do that, then please contact @Frank McElroy.  He is the Parts Guru....and will update the Parts List.  

Frank, I have used the above part numbers for the R950011.  I DID look them up and the 2008 Dynasty has the same number as my 2009 Camelot...so it seems pretty universal.  You can add them.

Mike....that's it.  I agree with Ben, I THOUGHT I had seen the WABCO on Amazon....but right not, it is AWOL...

Tom, I called WABCO Technical Support this morning and they told me the new part number for the R950011 has been changed to 4324209232.  Distributers are really proud of them.  I saw prices as high as $163 ! and that's just for the filter.  I gig find one on Anything Truck ( https://www.anythingtruck.com ) for $96.13.  Then they want $15.09 for shipping and $5.73 sales tax.  Bottom line is I ordered one shipped for $117.95.

BTW; I can't get under my coach right now to look at the existing filter.  I'm having a problem with the Manual side of my HWH leveling system.  AutoLevel and Travel modes work fine but I can't manually raise it.  Coach wants to come up crooked.  I made an appt with Barry at JOSAMs to see if they can fix it.

image.png

Edited by Mike H

On 4/26/2023 at 2:41 PM, dandick66 said:

The standard WABCO filter is R950011, new part number is 4324102227

The oil coalescing filter is R950068A, new part number is 4329012482

Either filter fits and will work.  The oil coalescing filter is supposed to be able to trap and remove oil mist.  Of course it costs more.  Based on my situation, I ordered the coalescing one and installed it yesterday.  We’ll see how great it is.  $85 on Amazon.

48 minutes ago, Mike H said:

Tom, I called WABCO Technical Support this morning and they told me the new part number for the R950011 has been changed to 4324209232.  Distributers are really proud of them.  I saw prices as high as $163 ! and that's just for the filter.  I gig find one on Anything Truck ( https://www.anythingtruck.com ) for $96.13.  Then they want $15.09 for shipping and $5.73 sales tax.  Bottom line is I ordered one shipped for $117.95.

BTW; I can't get under my coach right now to look at the existing filter.  I'm having a problem with the Manual side of my HWH leveling system.  AutoLevel and Travel modes work fine but I can't manually raise it.  Coach wants to come up crooked.  I made an appt with Barry at JOSAMs to see if they can fix it.

image.png

Apparently the 4324102227 is the “basic “ model.  Please see the attached screenshot of comparisons from the Meritor site.  I purchased the R950068A, oil coalescing version last week from Amazon for $85.  So far I haven’t had a drop of oil in my tanks. I’ve drained them several times.  The R950068A is being replaced by 4329012482.

IMG_3728.png

IMG_3727.png

This is what I use, supplied by World American..  It is only a desiccant type filter and not a coalescing one.  But I have read that the desiccant type filters do remove some oil mist, and when purged, I see a tiny bit of oil on the purged valve.  When I change it out there is some emulsified oil on the bottom of the filter.  So I believe the small amount of oil mist coming from my engine compressor, is separated and purged. 

I have not experienced any oil or water in my tanks when I blow them down.  About once a month.  If you have significant oil carryover from the engine compressor, then maybe install a desiccant/coalescing filter.  But for the cost difference and PM every two years, I will stay with this one unless I start to see some oil coming out of the drain valves.  I blow down about about once a month, so keep a pretty close eye on it.

https://www.amazon.com/AIR-DRYER-SPIN-CARTRIDGE-AD/dp/B00IVQIWOQ/ref=pd_vtp_h_vft_none_pd_vtp_h_vft_none_sccl_4/137-9137274-1246751?pd_rd_w=8IDrz&content-id=amzn1.sym.a5610dee-0db9-4ad9-a7a9-14285a430f83&pf_rd_p=a5610dee-0db9-4ad9-a7a9-14285a430f83&pf_rd_r=PNW30MHA2305NRRC5ZQD&pd_rd_wg=RMzc3&pd_rd_r=a451ee34-f957-49d8-80fe-af4dffb43355&pd_rd_i=B00IVQIWOQ&psc=1

Edited by Bill R

1 hour ago, 96 EVO said:

Keep a close eye on it Bill!

Yes I will.  Blow down once a month.  Easy to monitor.

But...., if anyone has had a bad experience with World American aftermarket parts, please share.

7 hours ago, Bill R said:

Yes I will.  Blow down once a month.  Easy to monitor.

But...., if anyone has had a bad experience with World American aftermarket parts, please share.

Look at the first post in this thread.  I installed 2 of the World American filters in 5000 miles.  I never had oil in the tanks before using them.  If you look at the filter, there’s no evidence of oil, so I don’t understand.  All I can tell you is I replaced the World American filter with the WABCO coalescing filter and now I don’t have any oil in the tanks.  Another thing is I could hear the desiccant rolling around in the WABCO filter.  I don’t recall hearing the desiccant in the World American filters.  

I’m definitely sold on the WABCO filters.  Now I have to track down my air leaks.

• Thanks 1