Propane valve leaking

Chuck H
Go to solution Solved by CLIFF918,

I'm pretty green on using this site but slowly learning so please bear with me. I was changing out a cooktop burner on/off valve so I thought I should probably try to turn off the main propane valve at the tank as a precaution. Could not find a traditional looking valve similar to what I thought would look like a typical patio BBQ tank valve knob. There is one on the curbside of the tank but there are no gas lines connected to it. The only valve  that had any lines to it is the one in the attached pic. So I tried to close it and was a little hard to turn also turned off the round switch next to the red light which is apparently burned out. Finished my cooktop burner on/off valve replacement, opened valve back up(again hard to turn) turned on round switch went inside and tested burner valve and everything worked fine. Yahoo another project completed. Went back underneath to the tank and decided to check that little valve with some soapy solution and sure enough it was leaking, couldn't smell anything but was definitely bubbling. Now I have no idea which way to turn so any ideas would be greatly appreciated...20230422_1158062.thumb.jpg.867df90a1e71bbc204e289f1cb94f99c.jpg

• Solution

Chuck,

I think that is not a valve. Might be pressure relief.

My 02 Diplomat has only the electric valve for turning off the tank. That’s the one next to the light.

Try tapping that relief with something, you might get it to reseat if not it should be replaced.

• Like 1