RETTROBAND a Tyron Band Alternatine

43 minutes ago, Ivan K said:

Just wondering who had experienced a blowout with the Tyron installed, in real life

To my knowledge the owner of this forum, Dave Pratt, his brother-in-law (Paul) has had such a real life blow-out. Possibly Dave will chime in on this question.

On 6/10/2020 at 6:05 PM, Ivan K said:

Just wondering who had experienced a blowout with the Tyron installed, in real life

I heard firsthand from @rtmurley about the steer tire blowout he had shortly after installing Tyron bands.  Ray, could you chime in? I'm certain there are others...

Hello Scotty,

Yes, we had the Tyron bands installed following a presentation at the Gathering about eight years ago. Traveling on the Indiana Turnpike that summer we had a blow out on the right front tire. Our normal travel speed is 62 mph and I was able to easily control the vehicle to a stop in a straight line. The tire and rim were badly damage (but tire stayed on the rim) and the coach body was damaged.  HOWEVER WE WERE SAFE.  The Indiana Turnpike has a narrow shoulder and a big drop off. If we had gone off the shoulder we and the coach would have had a disastrous and possible fatal outcome. Fortunately, I was in many lectures that told us not to get on the brakes and I didn’t. My wife and I are sold on the Tyron bands and highly recommend them. 

Ray and Tam Murley

2009 Dynasty

• Thanks 1

Glad to know, damage can be fixed. I would expect that polymer runflat inserts would also prevent damage to rim since it would not drop to the ground and possibly some body damage depending on how the blowout destroyed the tire. Were you able to tell if it was the sidewall or thread separation that caused it or was it just too shredded to tell? Thanks.

Ivan,

No, the tire was so mangled I don’t think one could tell what part of the tire failed.  I took pictures but lost them with my last iPhone update. However, I did not try to determine the cause of the blow out. I am very aware of the aging of tires and replace them before seven years. I have Tire Minders and keep the tires inflated to required pressures.

Ray Murley

2009 Dynasty 

• 7 months later...
On 6/16/2020 at 2:54 PM, rtmurley said:

Ivan,

No, the tire was so mangled I don’t think one could tell what part of the tire failed.  I took pictures but lost them with my last iPhone update. However, I did not try to determine the cause of the blow out. I am very aware of the aging of tires and replace them before seven years. I have Tire Minders and keep the tires inflated to required pressures.

Ray Murley

2009 Dynasty 

Ray,

I have a vague remembrance of seeing you all and the body damage caused by this in Fl at Alliance if I remember right .

Something tells me it was a Goodyear gy670rv. Is that right ?  Don’t remember if a 295 or 315.

Anyway, regardless, the Tyron is a good thing and a gy670 is not , imho. 

bill g 06 dynasty 

Hi Bill,

The blow out happened on the Indiana turnpike. I took the coach to Elkhart Collision for the repairs. Yes, the tires were Goodyear G670 295 and I replaced them with Michelin 295/80R22.5 XZA two weeks later. Yes, I just had the Tyron bands installed three months earlier at Alliance in Wildwood, FL. and was very grateful for having them.

Ray