ISB Neptune / Cayman Radiator Hoses

Agpopp

While  I'm at at it, anyone with a Cayman  / Neptune know the rad cap pressure?  No markings on the one I took off and it needs replaced.  Thanks! 

On 4/27/2023 at 9:55 PM, BradHend said:

I’m having that exact pipe made up in stainless as the original has developed a small, intermittent leak.  Buddy with a metal shop is making and bending for me.  I hope to have the old girl back up and running by the end of spring at the latest…but I’m now considering replacing my VGT while I’m doing all the other work the exhaust and coolant system.  
As for that 90 degree hose and all the others I was planning on doing the same as you and sizing them up at a parts store.  
Good luck. Post what you end up doing.  I will do the same.  

I had a major jackpot while refinishing the cooling tubes on the Neptune tonight.  I feel they are still in good enough shape to put some more miles on, so after wire wheel and roloc disc cleanup,  I put on 2 coats each of primer and paint. 

But, while I was wire wheeling,  I noticed some numbers stamped on the ends, and after some super internet sleuthing, I present to the 5.9 ISB roadmaster crowd the following: 

Upper Coolant Tube

Part number:

Lower Coolant Tube

Part Number 

Currently both available in STAINLESS for about $200 bucks each..with 2 day manufacturing from PA!

https://bhtubes.com/coolant-tube-2-x-2-1-4-diameter-replaces-01808994

https://bhtubes.com/coolant-tube-2-1-4-diameter-replaces-01807611

Now, the upper part number is 1 digit off on the upper,  but the pics they show are identical to mine. 

I don't have any idea why this manufacturer was so hard to find,  but it's awesome that these are out there with the aging fleet we are running.

So go check out BH tubes, no matter what rig you have. 

Some pics of tonight's work for reference....

20230516_174752.jpg

20230516_174742.jpg

20230516_175822.jpg

20230516_183150.jpg

Well I’ll be.  That’s great information Andrew.  
Thanks for posting!! 

Looks like those pipes have quite a few years left in them.  Looks great.  

I’ve been meaning to ask, does your exhaust manifold also have the large EGR port like mine does?  Had a heck of a time digging anything up on it when I was trying to get one.  Searched the world really.  Nowhere to be had at the time. 

I'd have to look at it to scope it out.  I do know the turbo was replaced due to vgt and egr issues not too long ago. 

Got the job finished today.  What an absolute mess of a job....so glad I degreased and washed the motor as I was still a fifty pig when I was done. The hoses mentioned above worked pretty much perfectly but it sucks cutting and wasting so much. The green fleetrunner belt I bought could have been another 1/2 longer, but I got it on there. I did add 1/4 turn valves for the heater hoses and also had to replace the exhaust clamp hanger mount they made for the hard pipe. 

I ended up putting back in about 8 gallons of coolant and distilled water, and I hope to run it a bit this week local to check for leaks.  I think I spotted one more 5/8 elbow and a 5/8 hose section I missed on the back of the engine. I guess I'll just carry some spares. 

Good luck to the next guy...and here's to another 17 years!

Well, having repair mans remorse after filling with standard green.  I dumped my old coolant for recycling, and I thought for sure it was green...a little brown too.  But in the light if the recycling shop I could see it had a pink tint to it while poring it put.  Now I wondering if I'm ok or if I need to dump it all, flush and fill with Fleet Charge or similar.  Thinking there were 2 coolants blended together before I changed it, and, how real are the internet stories of mixing the two types.  The only leftovers would have been in the heater core and lines, maybe around 2 gallons. 

I need to think on this one. 

Edited by Agpopp

On 5/23/2023 at 1:53 PM, Ivan K said:

Your 5.9 has dry sleeves so you don't need to worry about SCA/DCA at least. Check what Cummins recommended for it, I don't like mixing but some fluids are advertised as cross compatible.

That's why I just went with good ol green. 

On 5/23/2023 at 1:59 PM, Gary 05 AMB DST said:

I would flush it with distilled water and drain it. Install Fleetgard ES Compleat.  Million miles before needing changed.

Gary 05 AMB DST

Thanks for the suggestion, that's some pricey stuff! 

• 2 weeks later...

In the middle of all of this I had my house driveway paved, so I couldn't go for a test ride. Went for a loop the other day and the only hose that gave me trouble was the  4 inch silicone one that is in the worst spot behind the oil filter.   It showed no signs of leak until I put a load on it.  I lost 3 gallons of coolant between the 2 mile loop and while getting soaked dropping the oil filter and changing the clamps. The special silicone clamps must have made the hose pucker on the fittings and would not stop leaking.  I swapped them out for regular hose clamps like were on there before. 

Time for another test ride. 

Put 60 miles on it today,  all seems well. Took a good deal of effort and time but now I know what I'm working with.  Thanks to all who chimed in and provided help and part numbers.