Strange Bazaar Sound

2003 Monaco Camelot

Nut Shell Story

had driven about 300 miles coming through Dallas.  Was driving between 65-70 and started to slow due to traffic.  When a loud squeal started on passenger side front wheel door area.    Since I had not service the bearings in over 30000 miles I figured it was a bearing going bad.   We stopped and had front bearings on both sides replaced. Shop said old bearings looked fine but had very old grease prob original grease. MH has 90000 miles on it.   Shop said breaks had normal wear and spindle looked great.  
picked the coach up drove 5 miles and same exact sound that is hard to explain start back up.   Now the sound only happens between 45-66 mph and I can slow or speed up and no sound.   Took back to shop and they heard it and said it was not breaks and we applied breaks and still had sound.   Also said with as much grease they put in knew bearings that it would not produce same loud sound if they were bad.   It’s not a grinding or metal scrap sound.  It’s a very high pitch noise.    

We tried taping all window weep holes.  Taped up awning poles and tied up steps with wire ties.   Front end has a bra on it and we remove it.   The sound is not coming from windshield as the sound with passenger window and yes door open is coming from a area from the wheel to the front of coach   

We are stumped.   We drove from Dallas to Destin with no issues except for a loud squeal from 45-66 mph.   So I drove 68-73 on interstate.   I am wondering if the fan housing from the front dash could be producing such a loud noise?   We do hear it in the vents but not as loud as window or door open?  My fan is out and as squealed some before it died.   Is there any chance that could be it?   

I have 4 year old Michelin’s on front wearing just fine.   

with the door open at 45 mph it’s loud so not the door   

Any thoughts or conspiracy ideas will be considered     Thanks Tom H 

This may sound a little funny. Is it possible that fresh air coming into the cabin compartment is turning the fan blade causing the motor bearing to squeak?  You said it stop working.  Wild thought, cannot explain for the speed, something have to be just right to happen.  

Well a fan replacement is in my near future but I hear it’s a pain in but to remove.   Last hundred miles I am thinking I bet that squirrel cage is squealing      Only thing is when we opened the door.  Wife buckled in at 45 it was so loud right outside the step well area.      Trial and error at this point. 

Jerry good analogy on glass of water.   With the shop doing their job of taking wheel and hub off and then having the same sound as before new grease and bearings I am trying to think else where on source of sound 

Certainly you'll want to explore all the options. Air rotating a fan I would think would vary based on wind direction relative to the coach. In that case a tail wind would require more ground speed as the air speed would be less. I was asking about what the shop did because it wasn't clear to me if they were trying to diagnose the problem or just changing the wheel bearings per your request. 

This may sound crazy but - Check your over the door awning. If it is an automatic awning it may have not be completely closed and a small, piece of the cap on the leading

edge is sticking out. If it is a manual awning the sound can come from the arms as well as the aluminum wrap at the top. Check the position of that wrap to make sure it didn't slide forward or backward ( They are prone to moving ) . I had a high pitched screaming noise once and I thought it was coming from the door. Turns out it was the front arm on my door awning. I deployed the door awning and then put it back in and the sound went away.

If it is not the door awning then check that front tire very carefully.  Inspect the inside of the tire for a bulge. Years ago I had a 67 Thunderbird that developed a high pitched noise on my way to Detroit. I didn't hear it on a secondary road but I heard it when I got out on I-96. While I was trying to figure out what the noise was * BOOM * my right front tire blew. If the awning, tire, etc. all check out OK then I would go over everything including the body on that corner of the coach as well as the roof on that corner. It could be a  speed/aerodynamic induced sound created by something that has moved on the body.  I have seen some weird sounds created by a TV antenae not all the way down, a popped beltline, a loose fender, etc.

Good day to you, Stuart here and you have described what I had on my 04 windsor with a manual awning over the door. Solution was to cut a piece of pipe insulation in half and press in the long  aluminium legs of the awning, VOILA no more noise. 

Hope this helps

Respectfully

Stuart

• Thanks 1

Guest Ray Davis

Stuart is correct   I had the same noise and words can't explain how loud and annoying it is .

Actually it's more than annoying it's unbearable , mine was so loud we couldn't talk .

As Stuart mentioned foam placed in the leading arm solves the problem .

Good luck

Ray

Watching this thread anxiously. I've also got an annoying loud "whistling" noise. Not so much vehicle speed related but definitely wind speed related. I'll have to look at the door awning because I am not thinking tires at all.

Will have to give the pipe insulation trick a try because I can't find the source at all.

Guest Tim503

Here I was thinking one of your friends put a deer type whistle for humans on the motorhome, glad you solved it.

The noise and the suddenness of it can be anywhere.  But, I am of the "Wind Noise" crowd.  

I have had one experience....and it was the result of a temperature change.  On my driver's side, the side window's lower edge is on about a 20 deg angle.  So, it slopes down.  Where the vertical (front) and the horizontal members connect (a corner), i had a small pinhole leak.  Drove me bonkers.  No leaks or anything.  I finally did some really close inspecting.  Was there.  Put on a piece of duct tape and fixed it. Recaulked....no issues....replaced the window due to it "crazing".....no noise as I made sure the installer liberally applied sealant in that area.

My troubleshooting advice (and you maybe have done this)  Take a clean piece of painter's plastic.  Not the cheap next size up from Saran Wrap....but a 3 - 5 mil piece of plastic.  Cut it to overlay the exterior side glass ([Passenger) and the exterior gasket) by say "1 inch" or so.  THEN cover the entire window.  Use 2" wide tape (Duct or Painters).  Drive it.  No JOY?

Do the same for the door window.  That way you can isolate it to ONE area and then hunt from there.

Finally....and this is a reach.  You will need a helper.  You and DW get in MH.  Close the door securely....  Have your helper either cover the door over the seam and then tape that turkey shut.  That will eliminate any noise around the door gasket.  When you come back from your test drive, have the helper remover the seal and you can exit.

Finally.....again if all else fails.   Take another piece of Plastic.  Cut it to fit on HALF the windshield....like you did your window.  Tape it over the front cap and then right down the middle of the passenger side of the windshield.  YES....this might be a bit of a safety concern.  But, I drove 2500 miles with my side glass (Drivers) totally taped over save a very fuzzy clear section.  It can be done.  So, drive that.

If none of the above removes or drastically changes the noise.  Then Mr. Wind in those areas are NOT your problem.  Chris presents an interesting theory.  The OCD engineer would respond....

You can use the plastic to also encapsulate or cover the front door awning and/ or the supports for the side awning.  Encapsulation is, IMHO, easier to find the area.....then to helter skelter hunt and peck for a spot.  As you eliminate each area, via encapsulation....then you will eventually either find it....or rule out Wind Noise and THEN the hunt gets complicated.

NOW....the comment on the blower motor MIGHT be interesting.  On MOST of the systems....and I have run tests.....the front vent (usually under the dash on the passenger side (the horizontal on on the left as you come in the MH.....will ALWAYS HAVE AIR COMING OUT....except in MAX AC Recirculate.  I can NOT recall if that is shut off when the system is shut down.  BUT, if you take the ever popular plastic Vis Clean and tape that duct shot (around the flanges), THEN you have eliminated the incoming air and the fan motor.  I do NOT know if the vent or air intake will free spin the squirrel turbine enough to create the noise.  I would think that changing speeds on the blower would also change the pitch.  Testing that and/or eliminating the HVAC section may be the first step and easier.  IF you can climb under or use your cell phone camera or whatever and fine the AIR INTAKE on the front HVAC box....then use the Vis Clean and shut that off and drive.  If that happens.....you will not be chasing the ghost in the door or window or windshield.....  

Once you find the area....then you can focus there and try to find the point source....  

Good Luck...

To isolate noises, there is something in the repair industry called "chassis microphones"  Basically it's a box where several michs get plugged in, a set of headphones and a rotary switch to select which Mich you are listening to.  You select the Mich that has the most of the offending noise.  Then move all the Michs into that general area and repeat to further isolate.

https://www.tooltopia.com/steelman-6600.aspx?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=paid_search_google_pla&adpos=&scid=scplpSTE6600&sc_intid=STE6600&gclid=Cj0KCQjwoaz3BRDnARIsAF1RfLcY9igrN8ooKJDqkvT24uEDeR0fc9SJ8IwxULWt4X0xe-r5kbQhtZUaAms_EALw_wcB

• 1 year later...

As a belated followup. Had no choice but to finally use a left over water hose insulator (sort of like a pool noodle but not in a neon color), and we put it on the awning support.

I'll be danged if that didn't stop that annoying noise!!! Wish I'd done it a long long long time ago. Would have saved me quite a bit of ibuprofen subduing various headaches.