Parking brake light does not go out - 2006 Dynasty

Go to solution Solved by Tom Cherry,

2006 Monaco Dynasty,  Cranked up and pulled out to load coach and parking light would not go off and if tried to drive forward, warning bells would start ringing. Stopped , then moved forward again and same thing. Stopped and backed up and the light went out. So, what do I need to do if it happens again and does not go off?

• Tom Cherry changed the title to Parking brake light does not go out - 2006 Dynasty
  • Solution

From a previous post….06 Endeavor, but PB function and circuits are identical 

Shortly after we bought our 2006 Endeavor I started the engine and prepared to leave for a short trip to the dealership. When I released the parking brake and put the transmission in D, the alarm starting beeping. I put shifted to N and reset the brake. Tried again, same result. I tried releasing the brake pedal to see if the brake was actually set or the alarm was faulty.

I found the problem after some time was spent troubleshooting. The first was the material of the panel where the release valve was mounted. Over time, the panel had weakened and small I noticed some small cracks. The second was an intermittent Nason switch. The valve portion of the assembly was fine, but the cracked panel would flex and not allow the actuator to open the switch on the bottom of the valve when the brake was released.

A friend and I fashioned a metal mounting plate for the brake release that spread the pressure over a much larger area. That corrected the problem.

My suggestion would be to check the mounting  panel to see if it is sturdy. If so, then pull that panel out and test the switch. You can get a replacement valve/switch assembly from Veurink's in Grand Rapids, MI if that is the culprit.

THE OTHER ISSUE, but I don’t know the circuit that well.  Many times the rear drums will rust to the drum and you shift into reverse to break them loose.  But I thought that did NOT impact the circuit.

Odds are, bad or failing Nassan switch.  Look at yout prints…

Most likely the Nason switch mounted on the end of the Brake release has failed.  They can be replaced rather easily.  Here is some old information on it.  There are other sources.

Nason Safety Switch

P/N SM-1C-66R/wp28

Phone Number 800-228-5800

Cross Company 866-219-8217
Sunsource 800-228-5800
Flow Dynamics 205-581-1200
Hydraulic Energy Products 800-800-3471

Fluid Power Equipment Co. 877-471-8999

The Nason safety Switch, I believe is going out on me, so I tried to order from several of the above numbers, of which none seem to have part available. I'm getting one from Radwell International today. Thanks to Larry and Tom for the help.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2023 at 1:49 PM, Woody O said:

The Nason safety Switch, I believe is going out on me, so I tried to order from several of the above numbers, of which none seem to have part available. I'm getting one from Radwell International today. Thanks to Larry and Tom for the help.

I strengthen the console top by sliding an 1/16" thick aluminum plate under it where the brake switch is located and screwed it down. That made a big difference. Here's the problem. I CAN'T FIND THE NASON SAFETY SWITCH.  On some coaches, it is "T" under the brake switch. Not mine. So, I looked up the pneumatic drawing and it is showing in the front  generator area on passenger side of front of coach. I can't find but one electrical in front that has 3 wires and I know that not it.  Need suggestions on where it could be.  HELP please.

Woody, not sure where the Nason switch would be located on your 06 Dynasty.  On my coach it's on the park brake valve.  However, there should be an airline coming from the park brake valve to the Nason switch.  I wouldn't think it is located very far from the valve because it would be in an airline and the wiring goes to the dash.  Someone with a similar coach needs to comment.

On 5/8/2023 at 6:48 PM, Larry Laursen said:

Most likely the Nason switch mounted on the end of the Brake release has failed.  They can be replaced rather easily.  Here is some old information on it.  There are other sources.

Nason Safety Switch

P/N SM-1C-66R/wp28

Phone Number 800-228-5800

Cross Company 866-219-8217
Sunsource 800-228-5800
Flow Dynamics 205-581-1200
Hydraulic Energy Products 800-800-3471

Fluid Power Equipment Co. 877-471-8999

Had this happen on a trip.  I was able to remove the cup holder that is close to the parking brake handle, reach in, and unplug the wires - that stopped the chime.

Has happened 2x and now I carry a spare.

Another source: 

https://www.airlinehyd.com/search?searchTerm=SM-1C-66R%2FWP28&sortType=relevancy&resultPage=1