Coolant in air tank

Hi everyone, need some help with another issue I've discovered in my 'new to me' 04 Windsor. I drained a small amount (maybe a cup) of coolant out of the front air tank male air line fitting, next to the generator. Now, I'm still learning about the different systems on these coaches, but I'm guessing I've got a problem! From the limited info I could find doing a Google search, it looks like I have an issue with my compressor, possibly the compressor head gasket is leaking. Also, my coolant system is pressurized. I noticed that when removing the cap on the coolant reservoir. Hopefully it's only a compressor gasket problem, the fix looks pretty straight forward and Cummins Quick Serve shows all the steps. Any of you guys ever run across this? Thanks for any input!

PXL_20230509_005630517.thumb.jpg.68e37a2e911ef482b019931ce79313bb.jpgPXL_20230509_005654842.thumb.jpg.f6c7f2c6f7677d09328f34033ef19bd0.jpg

Edited by Pudgy Camper

How do you know it's antifreeze / coolant?

Have the tanks been drained?

Air dryer filter replaced?

Are you sure it's not just condensate which is why the drains / filters are in the system?

I am trying to think where coolant could touch the air supply....I didn't realize there is coolant running through the air compressor.

55 minutes ago, DavidL said:

How do you know it's antifreeze / coolant?

Have the tanks been drained?

Air dryer filter replaced?

Are you sure it's not just condensate which is why the drains / filters are in the system?

I am trying to think where coolant could touch the air supply....I didn't realize there is coolant running through the air compressor.

It's definitely coolant and I found it by draining my tanks. The front tank is the only one that had any coolant in it. No, I haven't changed my dryer filter yet but that's on the to do list. From what I understand, the only place where coolant could be introduced into the air system is at the compressor. It's water cooled and has a cylinder head, similar to a small engine, with a series of head gaskets. I'm betting that's my issue but wanted some feedback before I start pulling stuff apart!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pudgy Camper said:

It's definitely coolant and I found it by draining my tanks. The front tank is the only one that had any coolant in it. No, I haven't changed my dryer filter yet but that's on the to do list. From what I understand, the only place where coolant could be introduced into the air system is at the compressor. It's water cooled and has a cylinder head, similar to a small engine, with a series of head gaskets. I'm betting that's my issue but wanted some feedback before I start pulling stuff apart!

No reason to change the dryer filter until you fix or have the compressor gasket fixed.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Flyinhy said:

Yes sir....your air compressor "head" gasket has failed allowing coolant into the air system. How much coolant have you lost? 

That's what I was afraid off! Could be worse I guess. About 1 cup of coolant came out of the front drain.

9 minutes ago, timaz996 said:

No reason to change the dryer filter until you fix or have the compressor gasket fixed.

That's what I'm thinking too, planning on a full coolant flush and dryer filter replacement after the gasket fix. Is the compressor gasket a common failure item? I couldn't find a lot of info on it.

Edited by Pudgy Camper

52 minutes ago, Pudgy Camper said:

Is the compressor gasket a common failure item? I couldn't find a lot of info on it.

Not common at all!

In RV service, these compressors have a fairly easy life with no trailer brakes to supply.

Bad leak, or stuck purge valve will make them work harder than they need to.

• Like 1

Its like a water pump, at some point its gonna fail.... A rebuild kit should be available. It just depends on whether you want to try and rebuild or get a reman or new compressor. 

Edited by Flyinhy
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the input guys! I think I'll try to do the repair myself. Looks pretty straight forward and Quick Serve shows all the steps. I just need to find the right gasket kit. Looks like they are about $165. This might explain why my engine temps climbed up to 210 from 175 on the trip home from Fresno. Took a long time for them to get back below 200. I'm sure hot compressed air into your cooling system isn't going to help anything!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 96 EVO said:

Good thing you drained your tanks when you did!

Things could have gotten worse, quickly!

I sure hope I caught it in time! Between battery issues, steering issues and now this, this thing is killing me, LOL!

NOW, you are beginning to understand the phrase….”what are the two happiest days in a (Boater’s or airplane or motor home) LIFE….day he bought and day he sold…..I have heard that about some marriages….LOL….going on 57 years….with first and only…

YES…these “things” can kill you….maybe a lyric from Billy Joel’s Piano Man….

He says, "Bill, I believe this (place) is killing me"
As a smile ran away from his face

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Pudgy Camper said:

I sure hope I caught it in time! Between battery issues, steering issues and now this, this thing is killing me, LOL!

Yep, bad things come in 3's 😒!

After several back to back trips with nothing going wrong, we went on a long trip. First was the convection oven failing. Next was the satellite dish.

Was nearly home, thinking I had gotten away with only two! Stepped outside and discovered bubbles all over, under the coach! Wife was doing laundry ant the washer drain hose had pulled out of the standpipe 😖!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Bill R said:

If your air compressor is directly driven from the engine is it possible coolant could also have gotten in the engine oil?

That's possible, the compressor is oil lubricated from what I understand. I will be doing a oil change along with oil analysis when I get started on this project. I'll update with my findings when completed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1