HWH Synchro Cyl Purge

Good day fellow Monecoers 

I have just rebuilt both hydraulic cylinders for the main slide on my 2001 monaco signature. 

My issue is according to HWH the sync cylinder should have been in the fully retracted position before I removed the slide rams as their process notes the first move after installation of new rams is to extend them. 

My issue is the synchro cylinder is about half extended. Removed all lines from that cylinder to see if I could manually compress it but no go. I believe there are some hydraulic poppet valves inside that are holding it in place.

Any ideas?  Anyone been through the purge process?  HwH said they would call me back in 2 weeks.... reluctant to just extend the slide cylinders and hope it works itself out for fear of putting myself in a worse position, albeit I'm not sure it cause any damage.

Please and thanks 

Grant

You can retract the cylinder using compressed air. Some cylinders use a standard tapered pipe thread. Others use a straight thread boss with an o-ring. Either way its a common fitting which is readily available for a few $ which you can adapt to your air hose.  

Fantastic thank you Gary, that makes very good sense.  Was thinking I could also connect the fittings at the cylinder together bypassing cylinders and forcing sync cyl back.

I think for the cost of a few fittings I will use air

Cheers!

G

Grant I have a question for you since I have one weeping and my thinking was to rebuild all of them to avoid future problems. So did you rebuild both because they both were leaking and why did you not rebuild the synchro cyl. or do we only fix the one having issues.

Roy    2003  Dynasty

When one of my long cylinders started to leak, it took the sync cylinder with it as it reached its extreme position. I had the two rebuilt at that time and it took an other 6 years (many many cycles) for the remaining one to leak. In hindsight, I should have done all at the same time but 6 years is a long time too.

Hi Roy

Both of my slide cylinders were leaking, one more than the other but.... I disassembled them and other than the rod end seals and wiper everything was in good shape. 

Synchro cylinder looked good and no signs of leaking. Functions as it should so I let it be.

Worst part of the process was getting to the hydraulic pump underneath the front end lol.

My local hydraulic shop was able to match up Orings, seals and wipers. Total cost was 23 bucks Canadian. Easy rebuild,  only took a few minutes for each cylinder.  

Cheers

Grant 

1 minute ago, Groovy said:

Hi Roy

Both of my slide cylinders were leaking, one more than the other but.... I disassembled them and other than the rod end seals and wiper everything was in good shape. 

Synchro cylinder looked good and no signs of leaking. Functions as it should so I let it be.

Worst part of the process was getting to the hydraulic pump underneath the front end lol.

My local hydraulic shop was able to match up Orings, seals and wipers. Total cost was 23 bucks Canadian. Easy rebuild,  only took a few minutes for each cylinder.  

Cheers

Grant 

Grant, any chance you would have part numbers for the seals? My shop would not give them to me.

Seal 12500875 / 4615

Wiper N-07 / 4615

My cylinder has .875" dia rod 

I have attached a photo of the 'rod end' side of the cylinder. I dont have the HWH part number for the cylinder handy but probably pretty universal if you have this style rod end and .875" dia rod.

Cheers

Grant

20230506_104556.jpg

• Like 1

Well, I jinxed myself getting involved in this discussion.  1600 miles from home our sync cylinder sprang a major leak. Not at the rod end but where the two halves screw onto its center piece. Luckily we found an awesome BLM spot at Virgin River Canyon for few days where I could take it out and haul it 20 miles to One Stop Hydraulics in St.George, UT. That small outfit rebuilt my cylinder while I waited yesterday and today it is back in and working again. Just in case you have a similar trouble in this AZ/UT area. And the $4 BLM (senior rate) is very worth a stop too, just no phone service so Starlink to the rescue to reserve sites once here. Pic of the cylinder guts and our site.

IMG_20230516_143027800.jpg

IMG_20230515_151450290_HDR.jpg

• Like 2

DOUBLE or TRIPLE AWESOME.  I have NO idea where or how to get to my balance or sync cylinder....but I guess if you pump out fluid....you follow the trail.

Great job.  St. George is a nice little town.  We were there many years ago.  The hiking and biking trails were great.  Have a safe trip.  On to your next adventure...

• Like 1

Guest Ray Davis

IMG_20230515_151450290_HDR.jpg

Beautiful, and very scenic, I'm envious.       What's the weather like this time of yr?       Did you say 4 dollars?

Yes, Ray, $4 with senior pass. It is a BLM park, dry camping but got nice bathrooms with running water for those who need it. The reservation system is weird but workable. Here is our view the other way. The weather is hot, in 90s and some good cooling rain in the evenings, starting right now today.

IMG_20230515_151510845_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

Guest Ray Davis

That's a great view too.  Wild & rugged country, the Old West was not for sissies.   Can you get to the water and get in it?  Looks like it would be quite a climb down & back up.