Shower side wall leak

Keamyinc

I have a Frontline Type 2 Tub/Shower unit in my 2002 Windsor.  A few days ago a noticed a small leak under the metal rail on one of the glass side walls.  Day by day little by little I started to apply a silicone water resistant sealant in different locations that looked suspect.  I'm on day 5 of applying the sealant and the leak is worse now than prior to starting the apply sealant.  So I'm now starting to remove some sealant as I'm thinkin I may have sealed off important drainage point within the railing itself.  Does any know the ins and outs of the drain system within the rails so that I can better troubleshoot this issue and stop the leak altogether.  I don't want to take the panel off until I know what I'm up against.  Thanks in advance.

Don

More often than not, a band aid method is futile, especially where a water leak is concerned. I would remove any and all sealant, clean the area completely and reseal with new. Use sealant designed for aquariums as they are waterproof....Dennis

Edited by Dennis H

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/10/2020 at 9:43 AM, Keamyinc said:

I have a Frontline Type 2 Tub/Shower unit in my 2002 Windsor.  A few days ago a noticed a small leak under the metal rail on one of the glass side walls.  Day by day little by little I started to apply a silicone water resistant sealant in different locations that looked suspect.  I'm on day 5 of applying the sealant and the leak is worse now than prior to starting the apply sealant.  So I'm now starting to remove some sealant as I'm thinkin I may have sealed off important drainage point within the railing itself.  Does any know the ins and outs of the drain system within the rails so that I can better troubleshoot this issue and stop the leak altogether.  I don't want to take the panel off until I know what I'm up against.  Thanks in advance.

Don

Depending on what sealant you use, some will not stick if the surface is wet.    Some assemblies don't recommend sealing the inside of the bottom track, only the outside.  This allows the water that might get under the track to go back into the shower.   Mfg's have different recommendations depending on the design, but most if not all recommend using the caulk sparingly but effectively.  Dap makes a good one that is water proof after it dries but is water clean up so easier to use.  It is also mold and mildew resistant.  Comes in different colors including clear.