Whirlpool residential fridge knocking on start up

Newcsn

Early this year we noticed our 17 year old Whirlpool residential fridge knocking when the compressor engages. It’s knocking rhythm has become rather predictable: knocks 3 times on start up, runs about a minute & knocks twice and then runs another minute & knocks once. Then it runs fine & cools like it’s supposed to (fridge & freezer).

Research seems to indicate these are the early signs of compressor failure. Thinking of replacing with a Samsung RF18. But, the current Whirlpool is 66” tall & the Samsung is about 70” tall. Not sure it will fit under the upper cabinet w/o significant modifications.

Wondering if anyone’s done a similar swap & can provide any feedback? Obviously there is no heater under the Whirlpool - it sits directly on the floor. Thanks!

I would replace it with another Whirlpool. Far superior to a Samsung. There are many class action suits against Samsung appliances.  You should be aware that your Whirlpool is one of the best. But alas the new fridges are not the same. ur Dynasty came from the factory with a JennAir. Also made by Whirlpool. It lasted 10 years. I replaced it with a larger JennAir. It is 22 cu ft. and we love it.Repairmen tell me that 7 years is amost the full life of a new fridge

Have you gooogled the size fridge you need to see what hits you get. Also, you may be able to lower the platform your fridge sets on, I had about 2" I could lower mine.  Also check to see how much space you have from top of your current fridge to the bottom of the top fridge cabinet.  Good luck.

Guest Ray Davis
44 minutes ago, birdshill123 said:

Repairmen tell me that 7 years is amost the full life of a new fridge

My how things change,  we had one at work that was from the 1940s.  Still worked keeping drinks etc cold when I left in 2005

Ours has been doing the same thing for two years. You may still have some time on yours. 

Before giving up on your current fridge you might want to take a look at the compressor mounts. Whether rubber grommets or coil springs these often deteriorate allowing the compressor to bump into the mounting bolts or other nearby objects on starting and stopping.

If that's the case it's you can either replace them or just ignore the noise.

Edited by Harvey Babb

18 hours ago, birdshill123 said:

I would replace it with another Whirlpool . . .

Thanks @birdshill123  - I believe that’s exactly what we’re going to do! After measuring & researching, it appears the easiest & hopefully most reliable solution will be to go back with almost exactly the same side-by-side Whirlpool.

Had hoped to go w/ a French door with freezer on bottom, but they all are a bit to tall & would require taking about 1” off the lower edge of the upper cabinet. The other thing that was interesting is the capacity on French door models is less than the side-by-side (17.5 vs 21 cu Ft)

16 hours ago, Mocephus said:

Ours has been doing the same thing for two years. You may still have some time on yours. 

@Mocephus I suppose we could take a chance & see how long it lasts. However, the thought of it taking a dump while we’re on a 6 week cross country trip doesn’t sound too appealing! $1500, a few hours work and a friend w/ a forklift sounds pretty reasonable - compared to dealing w/ a failure on the road!

Thanks for all the feedback!!!

On 5/14/2023 at 11:21 AM, birdshill123 said:

The new and old fridges will go through the emergency window behind the driver. There 2 screws on the upper outside track. Just like an awning track. I removed the window and the valence

On a Dynasty, with the passenger seat removed, a 24" deep residential refrigerator should fit through the door.  Use shoulder straps and two individuals to lift the refrigerator and carry almost vertical through the front door.  Use a moving blanket to protect the dash. 

• 2 weeks later...

@birdshill123Well, all my best measurements couldn’t make a 28” fridge cabinet (doors removed) go through a 27” salon window. And @Frank McElroy we couldn’t squeeze it out the entry door either.  Bummed!!!

So, last weekend the driver’s side window came out - as did the driver’s captain chair - and we fished the old Whirlpool out the window & the new Whirlpool back in. Thank the Lord for a couple incredible friends & a forklift!!!

All seemed to go flawlessly - thanks to all the excellent input from so many posters on this site! thanks again!!!

IMG_0430.jpeg

IMG_0422.jpeg

IMG_0421.jpeg

IMG_0420.jpeg

12 hours ago, Newcsn said:

@birdshill123Well, all my best measurements couldn’t make a 28” fridge cabinet (doors removed) go through a 27” salon window. And @Frank McElroy we couldn’t squeeze it out the entry door either.  Bummed!!!

So, last weekend the driver’s side window came out - as did the driver’s captain chair - and we fished the old Whirlpool out the window & the new Whirlpool back in. Thank the Lord for a couple incredible friends & a forklift!!!

All seemed to go flawlessly - thanks to all the excellent input from so many posters on this site! thanks again!!!

IMG_0430.jpeg

IMG_0422.jpeg

IMG_0421.jpeg

IMG_0420.jpeg

Are you talking about a 28" deep residential refrigerator? 

If so, then yes, it would not fit through the front door - only a 24" deep residential with the doors removed would fit through your front door.