Getting my motorhome back with original tires. 10 years old

6Wheels
Go to solution Solved by Tom Cherry,

40 ft. Discovery has original tires dated late 2012 but has been inspected by the truck tire center and they say they are still good.  Most of its life the coach has been in conditioned space enclosed in a storage facility.  On a scale of 1 to 10 how desperately should I be looking into new rubber and what is the latest recommendation for 275/70-R22.5?

Guest Ray Davis

Are you thinking of another year of travel or just getting it home?   

I wouldn't go another year but 1 trip, not a long one, yeah I might risk it.   Thinking it over, no I don't believe I would want to take a trip.

Toyo tires seem to be popular currently but presently they are scarce around here in my size 295s.     What brand of tires on it now?

You can purchase tires online & they will come to you & install them.  I have not done that but many owners have & seem satisfied.

• Solution
1 hour ago, 6Wheels said:

40 ft. Discovery has original tires dated late 2012 but has been inspected by the truck tire center and they say they are still good.  Most of its life the coach has been in conditioned space enclosed in a storage facility.  On a scale of 1 to 10 how desperately should I be looking into new rubber and what is the latest recommendation for 275/70-R22.5?

Short of having a mobile tire dealer bring you rubber?  Probably an 11.  Most folks start looking skeptically at 6 - 7 years.  As an attorney would instruct you….”well that depends”.  Truck tire dealer may be more reliable when looking at tires on a trailer.  If the tires had not been driven at least every 3 months, then there is no “new” or UV resistancy in the tires.  Driving periodically and heating up causes the the tires to secrete an oil that protects the surface.  Were the tires covered? Was the MH stored indoors?  What was the environment like?

Bottom line, there is a great risk of a blowout or RUD (Rapid Unscheduled Disintegration).  I personally would not drive them much above 45 MPH and no more than 50 mikes to a tire dealer.

EDIT.  I googled “what age should you replace a motor home's tires“  max of 8 was the highest and more along 7    So….I’ll stick with 6-7….

Toyo seems to be a favored brand now.  I and many others, including one more staff member, are running them.  Be sure to check the MH’s tire placard for the proper size and load range.  Many foks have found that that sometimes folks, unknowingly, put on the wrong size.  Michelins had side wall cracking and folks “may” nit have been that happy.  I was a Bridgestone proponent but their top rated MH tires started to have some “unplanned” outer rib wear issues.  Rarely did we see a Michelin or a Bridgestone blow out…but it will obviously happen….

There is also a data plate that lists the ratings of the front and rear axles.  Divide the front axle rating by 2.  Look for a tire in the size and weight range and see what the inflation pressure would be to get the properl front axle load rating.  That varies by tire…. But the max up front, using Monaco’s “logic” would be 115 PSI and thr minimum would be 90 PSI.  Do the same for the rear, except use the “DUAL - in pairs” rating.

I should not have been as flippant…..but tires over 10 years old is a very dangerous situation…..tires that old on a car are probably worse….stick to the 6-7 year rule and the only push 8 with optimum conditions and many are fearful of that.

When Monacoers started circa the supper 2000’s or so, the Goodyear tires would have catastrophic failures and there were many reports of lives lost.  So, maybe we old timers are a little more paranoid and not willing to risk our family or the families of the motoring public to excessive risks.

I was in your situation back in 2021. 

We had not used the motorhome much from 2016-2019, was contemplating getting tires then, even went out and got a couple quotes.  Then Covid and we didn't use it for another two years.  Getting ready to travel in 2021 and got quotes on tires and drove it to the vendor to have them installed, by that time the tires were over 10 years old, looked good but definitely was concerned.  My butt puckered the whole ~20 miles there.   I had Yokohama's installed, I had wanted Toyo but in 2021 none to be found locally/regionally.   $3650 out the door.

As they pulled the tires off I inspected every one inside and out, no problems.   The inside looked good, no signs of eminent failure, no signs of impact, cracking etc.  I did use a TPMS and the tires never rolled until pressure were shown on the display and all was good.  I am 100% sure the vendor sold them to a local trucker, even though he wouldn't give me any credit.

Only trip I'd be making with it is to the nearest tire vendor unless they are a long ways away and then you could consider having a mobile seller come and install.

Edited by jacwjames

My tires are 12 years old (2012) and I go, on average, 2 trips / month using interstates, backroads and dirt roads.  The last 2 trips were from Atlanta to Dallas TX and Atlanta to Northern VA.  I have another trip to Central SC this weekend.  If I had Goodyears, Michelins or other known to fail tires I'd have replaced them by now.  These are Sumitomos and (obviously) I am betting my life on them.  I have my TPMS set to alarm at 120 / 85 psi with a nominal 95-100 psi at rest.  Under inflation is my worst enemy. 

I can't say your tires, whatever they are, are good for interstate travel, or even a slow ride to the tire store.  Just sayin' what I've been doing. 

Your level of risk may vary.

Motorhometires.com will take your order, come to your site and change your tires.  Simpletire.com is, in my case, $1,000 less for the same tire.  They have a list of dealers the tires can be shipped to and changed. 

- bob

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, 6Wheels said:

If I don't end up selling, the tires will be replaced.  Promise.  Thanks for all the great advice.

Tires this old can be dangerous.  Recommend that you advise any prospective purchaser that the tires are more than 10 years old.