Washing machine replacement question and discussion

Gary 05 AMB DST

• Tom Cherry changed the title to Washing machine replacement question and discussion

I bought a small one from home depot 2 years ago on sale for 650 it works great.  It was a washer and ventless dryer.

We have the original Spendide combo unit.  Fits nicely and DW would NOT leave home without it.  It does NOT dry at the speed of sound....but it does a great job and it has not had any issues.  After almost 2 years (over a 12 year period) on the road....not full timers....just was able to "go a lot", it is still running great. I dare say that she does a load of something every 3 days or so....do the math.  If the GK's are along, she will do 2 loads every 3 or so days...and that was 1/3 of the time.

I would look at my present washer.  If you don't have a dryer (separate stacked), then odds are it is a Splendide.  Get the Model and do some looking....as well as checking out the opening size and how the utilities will interface...

Whatever unit you decide on, if it get's mounted in a tight compartment, with 'zero' access to the back of the washer (like mine), be sure to figure out a method of securing the washer drain hose, in the standpipe!

Took mine over 10yrs to finally vibrate it's way out, then make a big soapy mess!

You can't seal it in, as the standpipe needs space for air to get in. I ended up using a couple of hose clamps, and a short bungy cord to keep them together.

Pulling the unit out / in by myself with about 1/2" clearance on either side, and about 3" clearance above, was challenging 😖!

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

Whatever unit you decide on, if it get's mounted in a tight compartment, with 'zero' access to the back of the washer (like mine), be sure to figure out a method of securing the washer drain hose, in the standpipe!

Took mine over 10yrs to finally vibrate it's way out, then make a big soapy mess!

You can't seal it in, as the standpipe needs space for air to get in. I ended up using a couple of hose clamps, and a short bungy cord to keep them together.

Pulling the unit out / in by myself with about 1/2" clearance on either side, and about 3" clearance above, was challenging 😖!

If you have the Spendide like I do, I think that cutting a hole in an exterior wall is an easier approach...  LOL.  My hat's, in all seriousness, off to you.  Good JOB!

6 minutes ago, Tom Cherry said:

If you have the Spendide like I do, I think that cutting a hole in an exterior wall is an easier approach...  LOL.  My hat's, in all seriousness, off to you.  Good JOB!

I have stacked Whirlpool units in a cabinet in the bathroom (shower room).

The washer has worked well for us, but I've read several threads on IRV (mostly Entegra area), that some of the newer models have had issues with the units not running due to a door switch.

1 hour ago, veraken said:

See if this helps and gives you some ideas.  Don't know if this specific model is still available.  Check and double check your measurements !!

https://rvseniormoments.com/2016/08/24/ariston-washer-and-dryer-install/

Ariston Dryer TVM63X

Ariston Washer ARWXF129W

Thanks, but I have my main breaker box above my current 2005,1.9cf Splendide washer dryer. I'm hurting for space. With the main bath and W/D in the rear of the MH, I have to remove the bedroom window to get it inside the RV or cut a hole in the exterior wall like Tom C suggested. I'm leaning toward a Black & Decker model with 2.9cf drum. Still considering Tom C's suggestion.

Gary 05 AMB DST

2 hours ago, Gary 05 AMB DST said:

Thanks, but I have my main breaker box above my current 2005,1.9cf Splendide washer dryer. I'm hurting for space. With the main bath and W/D in the rear of the MH, I have to remove the bedroom window to get it inside the RV or cut a hole in the exterior wall like Tom C suggested. I'm leaning toward a Black & Decker model with 2.9cf drum. Still considering Tom C's suggestion.

Gary 05 AMB DST

Maybe technology has changed….but the old axioms about energy neither being created or destroyed has a corollary…moisture may be created….but heating clothes that have been spun dry and expecting the moisture in a ventless dryer, to disappear in thin air, and not increase the relative humidity of the confined box or house around the dryer challenges my old thermo courses and some crazy enthalpy definition…..my Spledide is vented and its successor shall be also

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tom Cherry said:

Maybe technology has changed….but the old axioms about energy neither being created or destroyed has a corollary…moisture may be created….but heating clothes that have been spun dry and expecting the moisture in a ventless dryer, to disappear in thin air, and not increase the relative humidity of the confined box or house around the dryer challenges my old thermo courses and some crazy enthalpy definition…..my Spledide is vented and its successor shall be also

Tom, mine is vented also. I feel the same way on unvented.

My understanding of how ventless dryers work, is they have a condensing unit that then drain the condensed vapors.  Just got back from Spain and this is what they had in the apartment.  Can't imagine venting hot vapors into the coach.

22 minutes ago, Bill R said:

My understanding of how ventless dryers work, is they have a condensing unit that then drain the condensed vapors.  Just got back from Spain and this is what they had in the apartment.  Can't imagine venting hot vapors into the coach.

The venting goes outside.