How bout just one more garage sale

Guest Ray Davis

Reminds me of the very late 60's when the Apollo program was shutting down and everyone losing their jobs.  I saw people packing everything they could and abandoned everything else along with their homes and pulling out into I-95 and heading north out of Florida.

Saw a lot of crazy stuff like that down in Peru and Boliva. 

The big trucks coming down the mountains would be pulled over in spots where they had water hoses laying out and the drivers cooling the brakes.

Truck piled high with things.  People riding up on the back of truck piled with things. 

I visited a mine that was at +15K feet elevation and all the workers were bused in.  Don't ask me how, we were in a small 4WD SUV and the hair pin turns scared the heck out of me.  I'd look down off the edge and there would a 1000 ft almost straight down.  My butt checks got a work out, I told the others that I was doing the "Buns of Steel" work out. 

• Haha 1

On 5/19/2023 at 1:27 PM, Mike H said:

Reminds me of the very late 60's when the Apollo program was shutting down and everyone losing their jobs.  I saw people packing everything they could and abandoned everything else along with their homes and pulling out into I-95 and heading north out of Florida.

Program lasted till 1972, last mission was 17, Dec 1972...

https://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary/lunar/apollo.html

1 hour ago, Dave Pumphrey said:

Program lasted till 1972, last mission was 17, Dec 1972...

https://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary/lunar/apollo.html

From the end of '69 Cocoa Beach, Cape Canaveral and Titusville through the early 70's there was a mass exodus from this area.  PHd's were lucky if they could get a job at a 7-11 or Eckerds.  I left in Sept of '69 after Chrysler closed up in Cape Canaveral.  Yes the Apollo-Soyuz launch was on July 15, 1975 and that was after we started converting the Apollo facilities and Ground Support Equipment over to support the Shuttle program.  It wasn't until early '74 when hiring started again.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Mike H said:

From the end of '69 Cocoa Beach, Cape Canaveral and Titusville through the early 70's there was a mass exodus from this area.  PHd's were lucky if they could get a job at a 7-11 or Eckerds.  I left in Sept of '69 after Chrysler closed up in Cape Canaveral.  Yes the Apollo-Soyuz launch was on July 15, 1975 and that was after we started converting the Apollo facilities and Ground Support Equipment over to support the Shuttle program.  It wasn't until early '74 when hiring started again.

True,

I needed a fastener (Screw) design engineer.  Strictly physics and common sense, but degreed.  I ended up interviewing a bunch.  One had a PhD in MEA (Mechanical Engineering - Aerospace).  His last stint was to write a computer program for one of the Apollo programs.  Once the capsule cleared the atmosphere and went into Orbit....then they fired some boosters or whatever and started towards the moon.  There were 5 phases or legs from the earth's orbit to the moon's orbit.  He had, memory, leg 2.  That was slightly less than 50K (238,900 miles minus distance from earth to earth orbit and distance from moon to moon orbit...DIVIDED by 5)...  It was apparent that his design and mechanical engineering skills were not up to the task.  He was local and I had done a phone interview....so coming in was easier and we could do One - on - One with the fellow engineer he would be helping....  YES....I remember it well....

He explained it, way above my head, and I asked him...."How do you know it will work".  Another department (memory) wrote a simulation and their program had to work in that.  Now HOW did THEY know their simulation program was working?  Finally, he said.  Each Astronaut is an "ACE" navigator....and they have "equipment" to pinpoint themselves above the earth.  I did NOT go down that path or ask him how he KNEW that his program got the capsule to the Leg 2-Leg 3 intersection?  Nor, was their a "flight controller" to hand off the capsule to Leg 2 "Tower"?

My wife does OK in helping me navigate....with the Garmin as well as, now, Google Maps...  I really think that she would do better than he would in getting me from NC to St. Louis.  I would kid her and say that if she were alive in WWII and a bombadier....that instead of "Bombs Away" over Enemy Target Delta Oscar Lima Lima Yankee......it would be falling on "General Eisenhower's HQ" tent.....and she tries to hit me.  LOL....

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Mike H said:

PHd's were lucky if they could get a job at a 7-11 or Eckerds. 

I'm reminded of a joke that made the rounds in Houston in the  mid 70's when my brother in law, with degree in petroleum engineering and laid off from Phillips 66 , went to work part time pumping gas at a Phillips 66 station, (you can't make that up) not to far from his house because he could walk to work.  " What is the difference between a seagull and a petroleum engineer in Houston ? A seagull can make a deposit on a new car".

Edited by Gary Cole
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Gary Cole said:

I'm reminded of a joke that made the rounds in Houston in the  mid 70's when my brother in law, with degree in petroleum engineering and laid off from Phillips 66 , went to work part time pumping gas at a Phillips 66 station, (you can't make that up) not to far from his house because he could walk to work.  " What is the difference between a seagull and a petroleum engineer in Houston ? A seagull can make a deposit on a new car".

Hmm - in the mid 70's, some petro chemical companies were hiring PhD scientific staff like crazy - even before getting their PhD degrees.  I did take an offer from Exxon R&D in early 1976 but they waited 3 months until I graduated.  It was a great 35 year career - I retired in 2011 as an executive manager.  Now that I've received all my restricted shares of stock - I'd have lots of stories to tell - but only in PM's.

• Like 1