Desperate for HELP!!!! Can NOT retract slides - 2003 Dynasty

Guest Ray Davis
1 hour ago, jacwjames said:

Yikes, what a brain fart!!

Sorry, Jim,  I guess the devil made me do it.  

If the bay door switch is like mine female ends on the wires you can use the larger spaded fuses to bypass the switch and complete the circuit. If you have enough fuses you can eliminate all the switches if that doesn't work you will have at least eliminated that part of the puzzle. And if it works you then can add them back one at a time until you find the culprit. 

Roy  2003 Dynasty

• Like 1

I don't recall a swing up door having a safety switch.  Seems to me that the safety switches are associated with bay doors under the slide outs.  

He needs to have it quiet in the coach and push a slide button with someone at the power pack listening for any clicking sounds.  If it is clicking, that would tell me the motor may be the issue.  If no clicks when activated, it is a control circuit issue.  The click is not going to be loud so they may need to be very close to it with the step cover removed.  Of course, a Volt meter is better but you have to know how and where to use it.  

Will

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, miacasa_2000 said:

If the bay door switch is like mine female ends on the wires you can use the larger spaded fuses to bypass the switch and complete the circuit. If you have enough fuses you can eliminate all the switches if that doesn't work you will have at least eliminated that part of the puzzle. And if it works you then can add them back one at a time until you find the culprit. 

Roy  2003 Dynasty

That’s great to know

In the wiring diagram I posted early it shows the bay door switch in the lower left hand corner. 

I had one fail last year and the 5 amp fuse on the control board kept blowing.  I visibly checked all the inhibitor switches and didn't see a problem so I had to search.  I checked everything including disconnecting the slide motors and then putting power to them using a battery charger to move the slides in/out. 

Finally pulled the wiring harness off the controller and tested each wire to ground and found one that was to ground.  Looking at my wiring diagram it was part of the door switch circuit so I went back and physically checked the inhibitor switches, the first one I checked had come apart on the back side and was grounded.  I had actually bought a spare switch a couple years ago and installed and that fixed my problem. 

I actually bought some of these which I could use to bypass the inhibitor switch.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/383239562533?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D249160%26meid%3Dcf97a43622f645b9a42aabf31722ebf5%26pid%3D101195%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D163923371022%26itm%3D383239562533%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DSimplAMLv11WebTrimmedV3MskuWithLambda85KnnRecallV1V2V4V6ItemNrtInQueryAndCassiniVisualRankerAndBertRecall%26brand%3DSUPCO&_trksid=p2047675.c101195.m1851&amdata=cksum%3A383239562533cf97a43622f645b9a42aabf31722ebf5|enc%3AAQAIAAABQOd1QM8gHEn%2FqSiYADGcz5pjtAjwq95dcmOo3rE8%2BcCWMXgqHrjq9Cbvs%2FFWhUTSatbJRDVCaYFnw81O0kQ%2Fgjj8V%2BTBXhaGVZNQFGW8UdOMlZlVFKakkZwYUyywM8LvVJFSur5S%2FOptMBNKmGa%2F7lVYz4uO3kbSfYf4dsya16ZKdQ39HeAFojh93dT0hSNTbgk7fVU05SYlWe54NXRzm62pTOCPFOtFW1UvPC6rrlQomd2WQqqE5VsJafYcmV0FHDt6B2rIlFCLHocJ2oE3FKzCJBP7TCiMcAAuplfLVpmpcmH9zCWDC5y9HwBINAuv8zNrGquk8s%2FdIOFovOqHy4iNfezrS5eDU1lMHVV1UfAv0%2BoTCWTueEGjldzRTICNHbf3%2Bh7suchLlUdF2igH0yGkQK1r8kT%2Bz9TZFkOATwKQ|ampid%3APL_CLK|clp%3A2047675&epid=926790412

I have a 2003 Dynasty and my slides quit working too.  After bypassing the bay door safety switches with no success I crawled under the entry steps to check the fluid in the hydraulic tank which was fine.  While I was there I checked the fuses at the pump which were also fine.  I noticed there was several wires for the system that ran to a ground by the pump so I unbolted then and cleaned the connections ( they looked ok to me) and then the slides worked fine.  They grounds were the issue.  Could be the same problem here?

• Like 1

UPDATE....  @beastman229  & @Frank McElroy PLEASE READ

I started trying to answer EVO's questions.  Been noodling on it for a while.  FINALLY figured out.  

• The Engine Starts....OK Chassis Batteries
  • The Genny Starts (Talked to Frank).  CORRECTED….The Chassis also runs the Hydraulic system.  BUT, you have to have enough House Power to provide the control voltage.  CONFUSED?  Yes.  Bottom line.  If you can start the engine and the Generator…..you will have power to run the pump.
  • Kelly said that the lights and fans and such worked.  That SHOULD mean that you have good batteries for the lower amperage control wiring….
  • BUT, per conversation with Mike and Kelly last NIGHT.  The GENERATOR slide does NOT work.
  • Frank and I discussed and agreed with me.  He had to go.  I kept searching prints....  Mike has the THREE (his original post) Slide Hydraulics.  I found that print.  It is VIRTUALLY the same....except for the switching arrangement as the single one that was previously posted.  It is below. 
  • To answer EVO....whether there is a single or triple Slide arrangement, then the SWITCHES (4 of them) have to be made... If you look at the print below, the Triple slide has 8 total switches....so YES....if ONE switch does NOT WORK....then the slides on that section, will NOT WORK.  I had a long explanation....but that is the gist of it.  This hydraulic and 12 VDC control system is the Rube Goldberg, for me....of Monaco.  
  • BUT....BOTTOM LINE....the GENERATOR SLIDE, assuming GOOD BATTERIES, SHOULD WORK.  There is NO Ignition or Bay lockout on it.  There is ONE door pin...but that has not been "messed with" per Mike....

OK....This is HOW I WOULD PROCEED.  Kelly needs to download the following files....  I THINK that Mike has the Owners Manual, so they should be in the back....but just in case...

Once that file is downloaded, it needs to be on a PC or a flash drive for a Mobile Tech to see.  There is a Table of Contents at the beginning.  Here are the KEY FILES....that I printed a PDF of. 

These two files at the end need to be PRINTED OUT to give to the tech....  These are the TWO KEY prints....

OK>>>>MIKE.....This is the ONLY THINGS you and Kelly can do BEFORE you find a tech.

• Go to the MH.  Take the files (the total drawings above) on a Flash Drive to give to the tech.  Print out the two below
  • Carry Jumper cables.  You also need a big PLASTIC handled screwdriver.  you are going to use the Handle on it like a Hammer to tap on some things. You will need the small wooden wedges and some duct tape....as the door needs to be secured....not closed where you can't open it...
  • Try the Generator slide.  Kelly needs to be up front and you need to have the cover off where you can see the motor (where you added fluid).  
  • Push the DASH Generator Slide Switch (or the outside one)...  If there is NO CLICK....then there is a problem The Solenoid is the big round thing.  It has two big cables and it has two small wires.  Give the Solenoid a good whack.  Try the Generator Slide again.  One more tap.  NOPE....then proceed
  • Give the MOTOR (the pump motor) a good TOP or hit.  There is a large cable running from the Solenoid to the motor.  Hit the motor.  Try it again....one more tap....
  • OK....FINAL and LAST RESORT.  Look on the High Current PRINT or in your manual....Find the House and Chassis Cut Off Switches.  Cycle those switches a FEW times.... LEAVE THEM ON!
  • Hook up the Jumper cable between the TWO POSITIVES of the HOUSE and CHASSIS.
  • TRY the Generator SLIDE.  If it works......GREAT.  IF NOT.....CALL A TECH.
  • NOW....if the Generator Slide is working, then try the slides.  I THINK the front one will come in.  That is based on the bay door that you had to break into being on the back.
  • Find the switch for the rear bay door that is broken.  Cut the wires from the switch and splice two INCOMING wires (not on the switch side) together.....THAT should bring them in.
  • Use the Wedges and the Duct Tape and secure the door, slightly wedged open....and
  • GET THE SYSTEM CHECKED AND FIXED....

That's it.....

TRIPLE Hydraulic Slide - 2001 - 2003 Dynasty (and up) 5-22-23.pdf 2003 Dynasty High Current Print.pdf

4 hours ago, beemerman said:

I have a 2003 Dynasty and my slides quit working too.  After bypassing the bay door safety switches with no success I crawled under the entry steps to check the fluid in the hydraulic tank which was fine.  While I was there I checked the fuses at the pump which were also fine.  I noticed there was several wires for the system that ran to a ground by the pump so I unbolted then and cleaned the connections ( they looked ok to me) and then the slides worked fine.  They grounds were the issue.  Could be the same problem here?

MIKE.....READ THE POST ABOUT THE GROUNDS....That MIGHT be it.....that is absolutely the LAST STRAW....you might need a set of wrenches or sockets as well as a cloth and a wire brush to clean the grounds....

UP date for all of you that helped. Charging batteries today will go to camp grounds tomorrow for up date.All you respondents have been incredible. I got an incredible response from Tom Cherry, I think Ray Davis and Tom are on the right track. I have read ALL the post and you guys are indescribable in my book . Bless you all. I spent 35 years of helping thousands and i realized it was time to ask. BLESS YOU ALL

On 5/21/2023 at 4:30 PM, DJR1SR said:

Mike where are you located? That would help knowing that, maybe someone close by could help. 

Not to far from I 70 Anderson Ind Exit. Spring Valley camp grounds

On 5/21/2023 at 2:30 PM, jacwjames said:

Where are you located.

Check to make sure all basement doors are closed, there are inhibitor switches on each door under a front slide (not sure about bedroom slide).  It a basement door is open and/or not closed all the way the slide won't operate.  I have one that have I have to slam hard and last year one of my inhibitor switches went bad and the slide won't move.

Also, try with the ignition in ACC and on position, some are different, even try it with engine running. 

Attached is the wiring diagram for just the slides, the whole file is in the downlods section.

It does list two 15 amp fuses in weather tight fuse holders near the pump.  Also lists a couple other fuses with their location. 

2003 Monaco Dynasty Wiring Diagram for slide room.pdf 787.79 kB · 12 downloads

coach is at spring valley not far from I 70 Anderson

9 hours ago, beastman229 said:

UP date for all of you that helped. Charging batteries today will go to camp grounds tomorrow for up date.All you respondents have been incredible. I got an incredible response from Tom Cherry, I think Ray Davis and Tom are on the right track. I have read ALL the post and you guys are indescribable in my book . Bless you all. I spent 35 years of helping thousands and i realized it was time to ask. BLESS YOU ALL

The wife just got home from camp grounds. Duke energy is paid by the campers $ 25.00 a Month. She noticed a rank smell coming from the camper. Call camp ground service guy. NO electricity from electrical poles from next campers around us and us. no idea how long electric has been off. Mr Cherry the batteries had plenty of water and were completed Discharged,Dead. No on told any of us. Thank heavens we empty frig every year. I'm PO'ed

Guest Ray Davis
9 hours ago, beastman229 said:

The wife just got home from camp grounds. Duke energy is paid by the campers $ 25.00 a Month. She noticed a rank smell coming from the camper. Call camp ground service guy. NO electricity from electrical poles from next campers around us and us. no idea how long electric has been off. Mr Cherry the batteries had plenty of water and were completed Discharged,Dead. No on told any of us. Thank heavens we empty frig every year. I'm PO'ed

Michael,  Great news,  I think I can speak for the group,  we love to get feedback, especially positive feedback.   Thanks for your 35 years of police service.

So,  what was the rank smell?      Has electric power been restored?      If power has been restored,  are the slides moving now?

If still no power jump start the chassis battery and start the engine to charge them. Then if the gen won't start jump the house batteries and start it, ie the gen could be connected to either battery bank. Hopefully the slides will now come in. 

Once resolved have the batteries load checked as discharged battery have a shorter life and may be shot. Also fix that hydraulic leak.

My hydraulic system is Lipper with their cheap, leak prone plastic hoses. Replaced all 8 hoses with quality hydraulic hoses due to leaks to the front 2 slides. The pump leaked at year 2, flooded and killed the motor. The Lipper manual instructions for using the motor were completely wrong. Created and solution and Lipper sent a new pump/tank (warranty) which was a completely new design and no further problems since 2011. 

I might be able to come over this weekend if you don't have this taken care of yet.

I may (not firm yet) be about 40 minutes from you sometime over the weekend.  Maybe Saturday afternoon, late, or possibly Sunday.

I checked the campground location, it looks nice there.  

I know the pre 09 electrical systems much better but if I am that close, might be able to help. 

Will

13 hours ago, beastman229 said:

Mike and others….  Remember this.  The House Bank (which supplies the interior lights, fans and water pump) is ALSO the source of the DC power for the SLIDE system.  So, NO House or low House DC, no control voltage….NO power to the SLIDE extend/retract controls or switches.  The Genny and Hydraulic motor and engine start are ALL on the Chassis batteries.  Therefore, if I understood Mike….the genny started.  The Genny SLIDE would not work.  That is NOT ignition or bay door switch controlled.  

There are 2 fuses showing in the picture that Frank posted. They are on the “Motor SHOULD BE RUNNING” side of the solenoid.  One is for the Genny slide and the other is for the hydraulic house slides.  WHAT ARE THE ODDS OF BOTH BLOWING?  Mike needs to check these.

Mike & Kelly, in our phone call said that ALL House lights and such worked.  OK…we have POWER to the House slide (assuming the breaker in the RRB) works….  Mike said he and a neighbor “broke the bay door open”.  OK….that was the REAR, if I understood.  OPPS….there are two SETS of bay switches….a front and a rear. Then the FRONT slide should work. Mike said all slides, I think, are dead.

Bottom line, losing the house batteries complicates it….but as long as he had lights and fans, he had power to the house slide circuit and the Motor, once the solenoid was engaged, should have been running.  It is on the Chassis.  BOTTOM LINE.  Very HIGH….almost sure bet….a wiring issue or failed solenoid or a failed hydraulic motor.  BUT, without VOM readings and understanding where to read and what to expect….Frank and I can’t tell Mike what the “magic bullet” is.  

He needs to follow the steps in my last post.  I will add one more step.  Look at Frank’s picture….replace the two easily accessible 15 Amp fuses.

Following the steps with 2 new fuses will either make it work (doubtful….but maybe Mike and Kelly’s comments were misinterpreted) OR Mike needs to get a Mobile Tech….FAST….to avoid the $2,000 penalty.

NOW, if a crew of folks with knowledge as to how to bleed off the fluid, per the instructions, can show up….then do that and push all slides in.  May take 4 or so “well bodied individuals”.  

Frank and I may be wrong…but the more time is wasted in not following the steps, the harder to get a tech.  We are grasping at straws…but based on what we have been told….this is the most logical scenario….

On 5/21/2023 at 8:13 PM, Tom Cherry said:

OK…update….Talked to Mike and his wife.  This is what i think we sorted out.

• There IS full 12 VDC power inside the MH.  There is also AC Power as well.  The “Power is off” was directed at “Nothing happens and the motor doesn’t run when switch is pushed”.  
  • House batteries were replaced last year, but may not be fully charged.  Mike and Kelly (DW) will attend to that tomorrow.  Maybe serviced the batteries once….so need that and whatever condition….it is what it is.
  • Engine start and Genny starts.  He has the small rocker switch that show up in the 2002 Dynasty owners manual.  So, the Battery Cut Off switch does not appear to be an issue.  Kelly confirmed, to James’ post, that all interior power…..12 VDC as well as outlets and Microwave works.  So, ODDS ARE….the salesman switch can be ruled out.  If i look and read the 2002 Dynasty, and Mike confirmed, the solenoid must (??) be Non Latching.  Download the manual and look around page 241 or so.  He said it is the “On/Off” rocker switch in the special frame.  ODD….but this is Monaco…..BUT….all is well…just “slide button doesn’t start motor”….
  • Mike is going to read up on the Xantrex Inverter and learn a bit more about it and how it should be displaying info.  
  • Mike advised, after recollecting on “what may have happened”.  He had a door or bay (swing up type) “jam or lockup”….as in the release handle went bad.  He and a neighbor used some force and a shovel and got it to release.  It APPEARS not to be fully closed for fear of not getting it open again.  Mike was a little foggy, but now understands (old Christmas light analogy) that all the 4 switches are series strung….so that MAY be the issue.
  • However, the Genny slide does not work.  The print is a bit confusing (to me?) as to whether the main control power comes from the slide lockout circuit or a separate source.  BUT, the plan is to find the broken bay’s door switch and cut the leads and temporarily spice the leads.  He will put in wedges so that the bay door is clear, but not latched and use duct tape to secure it and then either fix it himself or have it fixed.
  • Depending on the condition of the House batteries, he can use his vehicle to jumper directly to the House bank.  Then, with the one switch bypassed (that was the ONLY electrical or “issue” that he recalls after it was parked and everything works)…the slides should retract.
  • Kelly will be printing out the slide diagram to give to a tech if a mobile guy is needed….

That’s as much as we covered….so, lets see how that plays out.  I talked to him about 2 hours ago….but had some “chores” to get finished….so this is not late breaking….LOL.  I think both Mike nd Kelly now have a concept….and if the above doesn’t fix it….then they will be finding some local help…
All the house batteries are dead and none will take a charge. Ran into a neighbor next to me all the food rotted smell so bad i think i need nose transplant. Neighbor sad the electric to our camper had been off for about 4 months !!AMP gauge is flat on 0 even after the charge. Going first thing in morning to buy 4 new batteries 😞

47 minutes ago, beastman229 said:

Ok….call me tomorrow middle of the day…we are headed on vacation and will be on road.  Dear Wife has told me to cool it, or else….family and GK.  YOU KNOW THE DRILL.

IF you take the Jumper Cable and jumper them, then that will simulate having a house set.  OR take two cables and hook up your v3hicle.

FWIW….  I still have a “gee…how’d that work?” Question.  Your fans and lights work off the house bank.  Your Xantrex MAY (someone chime in) be different from a Magnum.  If you have dead and won’t take a charge, then the interior house outlets will not work.  OK, I CAN LIVE WITH THAT AND UNDERSTAND 

BUT, BOTH of you said the Overhead lights worked and the exhaust fans worked as did the AC.  ALL OF THOSE get power from the HOUSE.  YES….if the house were totally DEAD, then you would NOT have had the control or switch (slides) power….so no joy.  But, you said they were on. If the Xantrex were attempting to charge, that is the ONLY WAY for the INTERIOR stuff to be on or work,  if so….then tge front hydraulic slide would have worked.  I would not focus on buying house batteries.  Jumpering the two banks will work and you can focus on the real problem.

NEXT THING…Generator slide SHOULD HAVE WORKED.  THE chassis runs the hydraulic motor. That also starts the generator and the engine. BUT…the power for tg3 Generator in/out switch comes from the CHASSIS.

BOTTOM LINE…There is probably (is?) a circuit problem.  New House batteries Ain’t gonna fix that.

just trying to help you understand and focus on the issue and not shotgun it…time is running out