Adding a auto Gen Stsrt

Has anyone added a standalone Auto Gen Start to an older 99 Diplomat.  I see there are several on the market, some text you others just have dials and I see even Cummins makes their own, however it looks like the Cummins will not start if shore power is lost. Anyone’s opinions are welcome good and bad 

Yeah, my factory installed Magnum AGS doesn't start the gen as soon as shore power is lost either!

You set a max temperature that you want the coach to get before the gen starts to power AC's, and you set the lowest voltage you want the house batteries to get before gen starts to charge them back up.

I rarely use it at all.

16 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

Yeah, my factory installed Magnum AGS doesn't start the gen as soon as shore power is lost either!

You set a max temperature that you want the coach to get before the gen starts to power AC's, and you set the lowest voltage you want the house batteries to get before gen starts to charge them back up.

I rarely use it at all.

As Ben says, the Magnum (newer model….the 4 dial one died & Magnum said it did that frequently and the new one is more reliable) does not start instantly.  However, as he pointed out, you can use temperature or voltage.  

NOW….IF you think out of the box and get a little creative….it has a rarely used option.  There is a “auxiliary” input.  Now keep in mind….the new ones only operate, I think, with a Magnum remote.  I have a simple phone plug adapter, maybe $15.  It was two wires.  Make a circuit, bingo starts the Genny.  Genny times out….shuts down.  Circuit still made…..Genny restarts for the preset time (usually 3 - 4 hours).  Just keeps it running.

There is a simple way to activate.  Purchase a low cost SPDT 120 Vac relay.  This is like a 120 VAC Bosch.  Wire the Auxiliary contact leads to the NC pair or set.  Plug into a bay or engine heater outlet or the heater outlet for a gas refer electric heater..  Coil is active or energized.  NC is open.  Lose power….coil is deenergized and then, the NC contacts are closed…

I have a working Cummins Auto-Gen-Start System Model EC-30W for sale.

This unit does detect no shore power if it is plugged into a duplex that is non-inverter driven when shore power is disconnected.

It comes complete with the special Y-Cable needed for diesel generators. The only thing that is missing is the rechargeable battery pack which had worn out some time ago. I had the battery pack rebuilt a few times but it only last a couple of years before it no longer accepts a charge. So I switched to using two AA Lithium batteries to power the remote.

Here is a web site which explains the usefulness of the EC-30W Auto-Gen-Start System

https://www.generatorjoe.net/html%2Fonan%2FEnergyCom30W.html

Richard,

A couple years ago another IRV2 member reached out to me and I provided him with the information on my old battery pack along with the charging volts etc.  He in turn found a company to make a battery pack and after he got one and confirmed it worked he provide me with the info. 

https://www.batteryspace.com/custom-nimh-battery-2-4v-2-55ah-6-12wh-2-5-rate-2s-s-rechargeable-battery-pack.aspx,

I'm using it now and as far as I know it is working.