Replacing flooring under Splendee Washer/Dryer

The following is what I found behind our 18 year old Splendee and what I did to repair it.

We bought our 2005 Safari Cheetah in 2018 and the previous owner had barely if ever used the Splendee washer/ dryer combo, although it was unclear about use by the initial owner. Over time I noticed the Splendee, which we used when ever we traveled, was moving about quite a bit during the spin cycles. When I finally had time and help I pulled the unit out of the very tight cabinet space in our rear bath located behind the toilet. Monaco obviously did not plan on this ever being serviced. After removing the two metal cleats designed to hold the unit in place, the doors and hinges on the cabinet and lifting the unit out over to toilet I discovered that the floor had sagged about 6" at the back. The vent hose had also come loose so the dryer was venting in the cabinet. The floor had obviously had water damage as the vinyl contact paper was peeling up revealing the floor was just 5/8" MDF. There was also a piece of original carpeting shoved between the drain pipe and floor apparently to muffle vibration noise. When I pulled up the floor, which was held in with 1/4" crown staples I found it was only supported on three sides (not the back) by 3/4" by 3/4: wooden strips. The hoses for hot and cold water were showing signs of degradation and the terminal ends attached to the faucets and the machine were plastic and yellow and brittle.

I re-secured the 3/4" strips with a few additional wood screws and then added a 2X4 across the back so the new floor would be supported on all sides. The replacement floor was cut from a scrap piece of 3/4" treated ply I had at home (29-3/4" X 25") and secured with ss finish screws. I replaced the OEM hoses with ss braided 6' W/D hose set from Lowes (HD did not stock anything longer than 4'). I covered the new floor with a section of vinyl floor mat for added water protection and to help muffle noise. I secured the mat with pan head screws on the sides and a piece of 1"x1" aluminum angle along the front edge.  This secured the vinyl while also making it easier to reinstall the unit. The drain pipe was not real stable so I I attached the the vent pipe (right of P-trap) to the right side wall with a support and screw and then left the vinyl carpet longer than the floor ((28") and tucked it between the floor and the pipe. I then leveled the unit with adjustable front screw legs of the Splendee and re-secured the metal clips designed to hold the unit in place via these legs. Job well done. The project took a total of about 6 hours spread over several days with trips home and to the store. This project definitely takes two people mostly in moving the unit, which is very heavy but also to hold lighting and pass you tools as you are working in very close quarters. Hope this helps anyone considering servicing their Splendee cabinet. Even if you do not have a floor issue I would recommend periodically checking the vent hose to make sure it is secure and you are not venting into your coach. Also, if you have an older unit with OEM water hoses I would recommend changing them to the newer braided hoses. If you have ever experienced a hose failure you will understand. I hope you find this helpful.

Washer floor1.jpg

washer floor2.pg.jpg

washer floor3.jpg

Loel, I was in Nova Scotia when my floor went, around 2010. I put 2x4's under the 4 sides of the floor (overkill) and used 3/4" plywood that I had. I had the same bathroom set-up that you do. Holiday Rambler called it the DST floor plan. I raised the washer floor enough to put a piece of plywood on top of the toilet with 4 legs to hold it. This piece was at the same level as the washer floor and it made it easy to slide the washer out of its cubicle. Then it was easier to get the washer out of the way to access the back wall. Poor (cheap) structurer engineering. 

Gary 05 AMB DST

When I had to do mine, I also found extensive water damage.  After repair, I purchased the following to alert me if there was a water another leak.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JOK11K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also purchased these to put in other areas (kitchen, bathroom, etc) where water leaks could occur.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QSFRSJX?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

• Thanks 1

Gary 05, nice thinking out of the box. With my Brother-in-law's help we were able to lift the unit and set it genitally on the toilet and then move it to the step up in front the closet. Yes our DST and yours have the same set up..

Good idea as well. I've got to get in the habit of removing batteries between trips. I find most go dead between trips, probably because storage is out side in the deep south. Will try next trip.