Radiator Overflow tank

Good evening all, Just wondering if any of you dealt with this fitting before. My Rad overflow tank is seeping out of the front screw and one of the top fittings.  the top fitting has a yellow ring around it, just wondering if this is something special before I rip it off.  Already re-sealed the front one.   

Thanks!  And Happy Memorial weekend to you and a special thanks to all of the Veterans!!!!!!!!!  

rad tank.jpg

rad 2.jpg

I am assuming the yellow ring is just to protect the end of the hose.  Did you already remove a clamp on that hose?  or is it a swaged end?  Is the fitting leaking where it is screwed in, or is the hose leaking to the fitting?

Should be a regular parker style barb. The yellow is just a stopper. Cut about 3 inches from the end and reattach with a hose clamp. The factory put clamps on some and not others, and should just be 3/8 heater hose. 

Yeah no clamp on it, I'm sure the fitting is leaking because it turns easily.  I'll cut it tomorrow and see what's what.  The hose doesn't have much play to it.  I'll probably get in there and put on a new hose as well.  I just wanted make certain I wasn't going to do something to the tank.  

Thanks, enjoy the weekend..

Pat,

I replaced the tank on my 02 Diplomat Just didn't trust the old plastic. I changed out the small hoses as well they were in bad shape. You can get to them through the hatch in the bedroom closet.

The name and phone number for the tank are on the sticker on the tank in the photo

Cliff

IMG_1272[1].JPG

IMG_1277.JPG

3 minutes ago, CLIFF918 said:

Pat,

I replaced the tank on my 02 Diplomat Just didn't trust the old plastic. I changed out the small hoses as well they were in bad shape. You can get to them through the hatch in the bedroom closet.

The name and phone number for the tank are on the sticker on the tank in the photo

Cliff

IMG_1272[1].JPG

IMG_1277.JPG

C Low Fab 541-610-2574

Thank you for the responses and tank info.  Not sure where the hoses go but I will soon.  Going to replace them as well since I'm in there.   These were supposed to be changed 6-years ago when I asked to have every single water hose replaced.  

FWIW,

I replaced my tank back in ~2014.

When I first bought my 2002 rig in 2008 I had a couple weeping areas on the tank itself that I repaired using a polyethylene type glue.  It held for ~6 years but had a couple other areas start to weep so decided to replace the tank.  At that time there were not a lot of options for metal tanks so I bought a similar style but supposidly out of better material.   They do not offer the tank anymore so you would have to go with a metal tank https://shop.findmyrvparts.com/monaco-rv-steel-surge-tank-overflow-tank-01806583S-p/190014s.htm

I believe the hose that is leaking is the one coming from the top of the engine at the thermostat location. 

My advice would be to just bite the bullet and replace that hose.  On mine that hose was extremely hard and brittle, I didn't even try and use it back, just got the same size at the Autozone near me.  That hose actually carries quite a bit of coolant the recirculates in the surge tank and then back to radiator, if it were to fail you would loose a lot of coolant. 

10 hours ago, Blacknight said:

I just replaced my overflow tank with a unit from Source Engineering and it fits perfectly. Can anyone tell me where the two hoses on the top of the tank go to?

On my 5.9 ISB, one goes to the midpoint of the upper metal coolant pipe and the other goes to the highest point on the engine bypass cooling circuit. 

2 hours ago, 1nolaguy said:

CLIFF918, I could not enlarge the photo enough to read the sticker. Can you advised the manufacturer/source of the tank? I could not find it via Google.

C Low Fab 541-610-2574

On 5/28/2023 at 7:44 AM, Blacknight said:

I just replaced my overflow tank with a unit from Source Engineering and it fits perfectly. Can anyone tell me where the two hoses on the top of the tank go to?

The 2 hoses: one has a larger diameter than the other. The larger moves coolant from your turbo and the small diameter is coming from the top of your radiator. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/28/2023 at 9:07 AM, Gweedo said:

Thank you for the responses and tank info.  Not sure where the hoses go but I will soon.  Going to replace them as well since I'm in there.   These were supposed to be changed 6-years ago when I asked to have every single water hose replaced.  

https://sourcerv.com/ makes a replacement tanks as well. Look on their home page, lower left hand corner.

Edited by Paul A.
clarify

10 hours ago, Gweedo said:

I wonder what he charges.  I have seen others for $400+  mine looks good but it would be nice to know.  Thank you

They would be my choice. Have 1000's in service. It is their engineered product.