New tow vehicle - FORD Maverick Hybrid

I thought I would share this with the group. I wanted something a little roomier for a toad my little truck with my wife and I plus the dog was to tight but being on a budget I didn’t even think of something new. Long story short Ford came out with a small truck it’s a Ford Maverick for under $30k. I ordered one last September and picked it up last weekend. $27k out the door and this model you can flat tow. I just thought I would throw that out to you because the order bank for 2024 models starts on July 15 I think last year it was only open for 4 days and they shut it down.

God Bless. Thanks to all the veterans for your sacrifices.

Don

DFAC3A80-47ED-40B4-8D3D-D89EE8755ED6.jpeg

D31B3733-26AC-4ECD-BB3A-00EBCB70214E.jpeg

1216E493-7554-4899-B3B0-F524045AEE79.jpeg

• Like 2

Nice.   I'm not too far away, did you get that from the dealer there in Victorville?   Amazing anything in this stinking state is that seemingly reasonable.

I bought it from a guy at sunrise Ford in Fontana Ca. His name is Miguel great experience no dealer ad on crap. It’s a 2.5 liter Hybrid great gas mileage. I’m having a base plate put on the 1st can’t wait to see how it pulls. It is an automatic with a tow feature only the Hybrid is flat towable. You have to order it to get that great price the dealer is marking them up about 8k if you can find one on a lot somewhere.It was worth the wait. I would recommend getting on the list so when the banks open.

I think the 2024 models will start at about 24k if you order it.

• Like 1

My dog loves it I think every time she gets in she goes to sleep. As far as the key goes I think it unlocks steering when in tow mode. I believe everything is electronic. I don’t think it has a steering column. I’m not sure but I thought I read that the steering is electronic like a plane drive by wire. Something else on my list to find out. I’m having a charge wire installed just in case for the battery.

36 minutes ago, cbr046 said:

Wondering how they unlock the steering I ran across this "right instruction" from a Maverick forum:

https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/forum/threads/flat-towing-hybrid-the-right-instructions.31940/

Apparently they unlock the steering in flat tow mode (I hope!).

I'll bet your dog is happy - he's got the whole back seat!

- bob

That was interesting.  However if you only read the first post, then reading (OK….I profess to being curious) ALL THE posts is fascinating.  As a previous Explorer owner, who towed two differently ones, the logic is typical FORD.  My 1992 had to have the Tranny software “updated” and i had a “chew bubble gum…pat head….and walk” sequence.  This one at least has screen prompts and modes.

Was also curious about how the steering was unlocked.  GM had very serious issues when they reinvented the Chassis and 4WD In the 2015 pickups.  They went through 2 or 3 software flashes.  They finally recommended installing a battery disconnect switch.  It seems that if you mistakenly sent power, assuming no “diode block” up the line….through the taillights…that could (did) turn on the electric power steering and it would automatically go to a quasi locked and centered position….not exactly flat towing friendly.

The last few entries were not unexpected….looks like one needs to have an auxiliary power source or the tow driver needs to be savvy….IT requires POWER to get out of park.  The towing experience of rear wheels on a dolly and front off the ground was an unusual read….

I sure hope the poster was incorrect and meant that his total cost for the baseplates AND Installation AND Tow Bar Was $3,000….not just the baseplates only….

keep us informed as to what you finally do and how it works.

• Tom Cherry changed the title to New tow vehicle - FORD Maverick Hybrid

I hope you’re right that’s a lot of money. I on the other hand already have a road master tow bar so I bought the base plate and wiring kit also the charging kit and the rock guard bracket apparently the base plate doesn’t come with the rock guard bracket any more so another $80. I’m about $900 into it so far without installation. I’ll take pictures when done.

I took delivery on my hybrid Maverick last August. I took it to e trailer in St Louis and they hooked me up with a complete tow package from scratch.  They recommended, and I went along with, powering the truck from the coach.  Putting the truck in neutral tow mode through the menu is very simple, and releases the steering for towing. 

The bill at e trailer was about 2500, but since they don't let you stay in the coach while they're working on it, and it took 4 days, I have to add an additional $500 for hotels meals Uber etc