Xantrex Inverter upgrade - intermittent and not working properly - 1999 Executive

Dragnfly

Hey guys, I’m trying to swap out inverters on 1999 monoco executive, upgrading old xantrax 3012 to the new xantrax 3012, was hoping it was going to be easier with same brand, we moved it out of the spot it was mounted under bathroom storage because evidently it had been leaking water from grey line for a long time and finally it got wet enough to stop it from working,  I have a problem now that I can’t figure out, it works as should for short time then it works partially, fridge runs and cools but no interior light, maintainer on battery stops working, tried running extra ground from battery to frame, reset inverter and it works for short time again then goes back to partial again, any suggestions or comments would be appreciated 

• Tom Cherry changed the title to Xantrex Inverter upgrade - intermittent and not working properly - 1999 Executive

Ok, so you’re saying that the fridge runs, but the light inside the fridge stops working?

What kind of fridge? Is this a residential fridge that’s running on the inverter, or a norcold rv fridge?

Have you checked output voltage on the inverter?

5 hours ago, wamcneil said:

Ok, so you’re saying that the fridge runs, but the light inside the fridge stops working?

What kind of fridge? Is this a residential fridge that’s running on the inverter, or a norcold rv fridge?

Have you checked output voltage on the inverter?

Just now, Dragnfly said:

Fridge is newly installed residential fridge, we put zantrax 1000 extra inverter in before new house inverter went bad and tied it in through house inverter so it would run going down road also, my remote on house inverter is reading 13.7 volts, remote on extra inverter reads 13.7 volts also, the problem doesn’t stay constant it moves back and forth, also don’t know if it’s another issue but the heat turned on by itself in the aqua hot and the fan for aqua hot came on

46 minutes ago, Dragnfly said:

Fridge is newly installed residential fridge, we put zantrax 1000 extra inverter in before new house inverter went bad and tied it in through house inverter so it would run going down road also, my remote on house inverter is reading 13.7 volts, remote on extra inverter reads 13.7 volts also, the problem doesn’t stay constant it moves back and forth, also don’t know if it’s another issue but the heat turned on by itself in the aqua hot and the fan for aqua hot came 

Let me add this also,we moved the inverter and extended the cables. It dosent have a 3rd grounding lug. At first we got 12v on the frame. Nothing worked at all. Then we grounded straight to frame from batteries and everything started to work. 13.4 volts just about everywhere. Inverter is putting out correct voltages in fuse panel @122v except for that certain plug ......it's 126v. The rear fuse panel is intermittently losing 12v power for some strange reason. I’m lost as to why this is happening and we've gone as far as we can go without some input on how this system operates. 

1 hour ago, Dragnfly said:
2 hours ago, Dragnfly said:

Fridge is newly installed residential fridge, we put zantrax 1000 extra inverter in before new house inverter went bad and tied it in through house inverter so it would run going down road also, my remote on house inverter is reading 13.7 volts, remote on extra inverter reads 13.7 volts also, the problem doesn’t stay constant it moves back and forth, also don’t know if it’s another issue but the heat turned on by itself in the aqua hot and the fan for aqua hot came 

Let me add this also,we moved the inverter and extended the cables. It dosent have a 3rd grounding lug. At first we got 12v on the frame. Nothing worked at all. Then we grounded straight to frame from batteries and everything started to work. 13.4 volts just about everywhere. Inverter is putting out correct voltages in fuse panel @122v except for that certain plug ......it's 126v. The rear fuse panel is intermittently losing 12v power for some strange reason. I’m lost as to why this is happening and we've gone as far as we can go without some input on how this system operates. 

Pull the Jumpers or turn off the House and Chassis Banks.  Chase down the ground cables on both banks.  They go to a Ground stud(s). Pull the cables off and clean the frame as well.  When you reassemble, get the nuts semi snug so there is a light contact or clamping force.  Then wiggle or rotate the cables so that they polish or abrade or rub against each other.  Then reposition and tighten and spay with Battery terminal anti corrosion.  Find the ground stud for the Rear Bay and do that also.  There will be a ground stud(s)up front.as well.  Follow the Generator as well.  There may be two up front.  One for dash and one for generator….Chase it from the Generator and do the same.

Then report back.

15 hours ago, Dragnfly said:

, fridge runs and cools but no interior light,  

I don’t understand what you’re saying. Are you saying that the fridge runs, but the FRIDGE interior light stops working?

or are you saying that the fridge works but the COACH interior light stops working???

If you’re losing the coach interior lights, that suggests to me that there’s a problem with the ground strap between the house batteries and the frame. 
The old xantrex had an internal shunt to measure house loads. And the extra ground cable was to pass house ground(chassis) through the inverter and then through the inverter negative cable to the house batteries negative.
When that 3rd inverter cable is missing, is breaks the path between house 12v loads and the battery, cutting off house 12v power, but the inverter would still work fine. Maybe there’s a problem with your new cable from batteries to chassis 

4 hours ago, Dragnfly said:

Fridge is newly installed residential fridge, we put zantrax 1000 extra inverter in before new house inverter went bad and tied it in through house inverter so it would run going down road also, my remote on house inverter is reading 13.7 volts, remote on extra inverter reads 13.7 volts also, the problem doesn’t stay constant it moves back and forth, also don’t know if it’s another issue but the heat turned on by itself in the aqua hot and the fan for aqua hot came on

Which inverter is running the fridge?  Maybe BOTH of them???! I’m really confused