Retirement & RV Repair options - Your opinion please

My husband is approaching retirement, And thinking about retiring early and attending school for repairing r v's. ??  Cost  about $14000.    He does all the repairs. On ours RV his self, Including small engine work (oil changes fuel pumps , starter, alternators, etc) and remodeling. And setting up our tow car!  So Is there a need? And do you think it would be a good idea??? What do you think? Thank you ,   Sue and Bruce 2003 Monaco windsor

I’m from southern Indiana and around here I don’t believe it would pay off with the extensive training and the amount of coaches I see in my area. 
2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38

• Like 1

Repairing your own specific RV is one thing however, being able to repair many different makes and models of RV's will be a completely different challenge.

Does he plan to have his own Mobile RV Service or work for a RV Service and Repair shop?

Another alternative is to take the course on becoming certified as a RV Inspector doing per-purchase PDI's for people.

• Like 3

Depends on how much he wants to work vs being retired. Also depending where you're located and the demand for his services. Had a friend in that started working on RV's as a "pastime".  Today he's got a full-blown business with an office manager, accountant and multiple "techs".  There just wasn't any reliable shops in the area.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sue & Bruce,  there is a huge need for RV Technicians, he could recoup his investment quickly.  However, you say he is nearing retirement, which begs the question, is he healthy and in reasonably good physical condition?  He would likely have to invest in tools if he doesn't already have them?  There would also be business licenses, insurance etc.  You didn't say if he is planning to work for a dealership or strike out on his own?  If he is self-employed he could charge $120-$150 per hour or more.  Would it benefit him to work for a dealer for a few months to get more on the job experience?  I don't know what the pay rate for a dealer tech is, but in my area the $150 per hour plus 5% for shop supplies is pretty standard for the dealer, not the tech.  There are many factors to be considered, the primary one is how much does he want to work vs being retired.  Good luck with your decision.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would say don't sweat it and Enjoy your Retirement. Tomorrow is never promised for any of us. Unless he is looking for something to do. Then  and if his Health doesn't get in the way. And it's something that he enjoys doing. 

• Like 3

• Tom Cherry changed the title to Retirement & RV Repair options - Your opinion please

There’s definitely a need. Looks like y’all are in SC…. In the Atlanta area an RV tech charges anywhere from $150-200/hr. 

I’ve considered something similar, but more along the lines of becoming a certified RV inspector. In the end I’ve just decided to take some diesel mechanic courses at the local community college - for my own edification, and to keep my mind sharp. It only costs about $100/credit hour, so for example the basic diesel mechanic class costs about $300. My point is if he’s passionate about doing this, there may be a less expensive path than $14k. 

I’m not completely out on taking the inspection certification course, but decided to back-burner that for now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wrayj1 said:

Sue & Bruce,  there is a huge need for RV Technicians, he could recoup his investment quickly.  However, you say he is nearing retirement, which begs the question, is he healthy and in reasonably good physical condition?  He would likely have to invest in tools if he doesn't already have them?  There would also be business licenses, insurance etc.  You didn't say if he is planning to work for a dealership or strike out on his own?  If he is self-employed he could charge $120-$150 per hour or more.  Would it benefit him to work for a dealer for a few months to get more on the job experience?  I don't know what the pay rate for a dealer tech is, but in my area the $150 per hour plus 5% for shop supplies is pretty standard for the dealer, not the tech.  There are many factors to be considered, the primary one is how much does he want to work vs being retired.  Good luck with your decision.

As one who figured out that my personality was not that entrepreneurial….in that running a small business was not my forte….I TOTALLY have the utmost respect for my friends that did it…but seeing a high failure rate for folks that did it too late in life and cost themselves financially,  I would be cautious.  The $14,000 sounds a bit steep.  I base this on funding and planning for my GK’s education.  There are some private tech schools that do not offer good value and the career paths do not produce the expected earnings.

ONE alternative, do some research and see if there are any public funded tech schools or community colleges that offer an associate degree in RV Repair & Maintenance. See the photos below.  When I started googling this, the list of “sponsored” ads was a bit overwhelming.   See the two screen shots below. Typically…BECOME a certified RV Tech in 90 days…..online availability and excellent payment plan options!  I had friends and employees that had “correspondence degrees” and most of them said that they would have spent less and had more lucrative careers if they had gone conventional…..  I might point out that a large amount of the Trillions of dollars in Student Loans that are a major government concern were to “private” entities….yes….one can run up debt quickly at a public (state or municipal) institution…..but many of the horror stories were for becoming a “Game Designer” as well as “Microsoft Certified”…..what ever that is.

I know from personal experience growing up in the heart of NASCAR (would be similar to Elkhart & RV’s) that at least 5 or so community colleges in NC have “automotive degrees” focused on NASCAR skills like fabrication, design, engine building, etc.  My cousin was was the instructor at my old high school and had a 5 bay multimillion shop and his graduates were the prize students at one local community college and they did well.  But they had had at least 5, maybe 6 years of total instruction when they got their Associate Degree…..and they were well covered compensated.

One pathway might be to become an apprentice to a RV shop or repair or Mobile repair and learn the ins & outs….while making $$ and not spending money.

We have many folks here that are more experienced and can trouble shoot issues in all areas.  Some are more hands on and are really nut and bolt snd wire and whatever experienced.  We have others that help out and do research and learn the technology or how the systems work,,,,and keep folks focused….as well as some that have both skill sets.

Retirement decisions come from many sources, challenges, necessities, physical issues, etc.  I have, unfortunately, seen folks that were going to semi retire and “sell”….real estate, time shares, you name it….and had to pass state “boards” to be registered and licensed…..only to find out that there was a WHOLE lot more involved and competition was tight and the hours were excessive….  But, we have former members that could afford to full time and visit families and travel….then settled down.  One was a successful small business person….who specializes in “swimming pool pump and motor” rebuilding.  He has a niche market in FL and says he could hire employees and such….but limits himself to maybe 6 hours at a time and then only 2 - 3 days per week and is demand….and is financially rewarded…

Just depends on one’s skills and such.  Also remember that a self employed individual that reports their income pays TWICE as much in FICA, Medicare & SS tax as does a “real” employee….Yes, my wife is a very learned tax preparer who has seen folks almost faint at their tax bills after all their “they told me i could write this off” deductions were disallowed….and then the 15% “self employed” tax bite….in addition to the normal Federal & State taxes….

IMG_0875.png

IMG_0874.png

I do mixture of my own repairs.  For those I can't, I get recommendations on who to call, or as a last resort, I'll use Google.   I have never ask for any certification, unless it was/ is required by law.  Do you need the money?  Few people can enter a new industry and make anything close to what they were making at their previous profession.  If it for a hobby, how much time does he want to spend in it? 

RICK N

Colorado Springs, CO 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gary 05 AMB DST said:

What is his age? That is important for a good life.

Gary 05 AMB DST

He's 65 and good health,, and already has all the tools,, worked on small engines in his 20 the start over the road truck driver in his 30!! Even went ower operator for 5 years, just looking to earn a living and be home, 

46 minutes ago, Tom Cherry said:

As one who figured out that my personality was not that entrepreneurial….in that running a small business was not my forte….I TOTALLY have the utmost respect for my friends that did it…but seeing a high failure rate for folks that did it too late in life and cost themselves financially,  I would be cautious.  The $14,000 sounds a bit steep.  I base this on funding and planning for my GK’s education.  There are some private tech schools that do not offer good value and the career paths do not produce the expected earnings.

ONE alternative, do some research and see if there are any public funded tech schools or community colleges that offer an associate degree in RV Repair & Maintenance. See the photos below.  When I started googling this, the list of “sponsored” ads was a bit overwhelming.   See the two screen shots below. Typically…BECOME a certified RV Tech in 90 days…..online availability and excellent payment plan options!  I had friends and employees that had “correspondence degrees” and most of them said that they would have spent less and had more lucrative careers if they had gone conventional…..  I might point out that a large amount of the Trillions of dollars in Student Loans that are a major government concern were to “private” entities….yes….one can run up debt quickly at a public (state or municipal) institution…..but many of the horror stories were for becoming a “Game Designer” as well as “Microsoft Certified”…..what ever that is.

I know from personal experience growing up in the heart of NASCAR (would be similar to Elkhart & RV’s) that at least 5 or so community colleges in NC have “automotive degrees” focused on NASCAR skills like fabrication, design, engine building, etc.  My cousin was was the instructor at my old high school and had a 5 bay multimillion shop and his graduates were the prize students at one local community college and they did well.  But they had had at least 5, maybe 6 years of total instruction when they got their Associate Degree…..and they were well covered compensated.

One pathway might be to become an apprentice to a RV shop or repair or Mobile repair and learn the ins & outs….while making $$ and not spending money.

We have many folks here that are more experienced and can trouble shoot issues in all areas.  Some are more hands on and are really nut and bolt snd wire and whatever experienced.  We have others that help out and do research and learn the technology or how the systems work,,,,and keep folks focused….as well as some that have both skill sets.

Retirement decisions come from many sources, challenges, necessities, physical issues, etc.  I have, unfortunately, seen folks that were going to semi retire and “sell”….real estate, time shares, you name it….and had to pass state “boards” to be registered and licensed…..only to find out that there was a WHOLE lot more involved and competition was tight and the hours were excessive….  But, we have former members that could afford to full time and visit families and travel….then settled down.  One was a successful small business person….who specializes in “swimming pool pump and motor” rebuilding.  He has a niche market in FL and says he could hire employees and such….but limits himself to maybe 6 hours at a time and then only 2 - 3 days per week and is demand….and is financially rewarded…

Just depends on one’s skills and such.  Also remember that a self employed individual that reports their income pays TWICE as much in FICA, Medicare & SS tax as does a “real” employee….Yes, my wife is a very learned tax preparer who has seen folks almost faint at their tax bills after all their “they told me i could write this off” deductions were disallowed….and then the 15% “self employed” tax bite….in addition to the normal Federal & State taxes….

IMG_0875.png

IMG_0874.png

Tks,, a lot to consider, didn't know about all these schools,  I'll look into them

I am almost 65 and went back to nursing school at 52 after over 30 years in the financial industry, so I'm familiar with changing horses in the middle of the stream...  I can say that I would be very reluctant to spend $14k at this age.  If he doesn't have the skills at this point, it is risky to try and recoup that investment.  I would think to become knowledgeable and efficient enough to be the 'jack of all trades' kind of guy would take many years.  As an alternative, perhaps he could specialize in one or two particular areas... if he already has sufficient skills there.  I know that wiring in an RV is a huge challenge and I'd pay handsomely for someone that knew how to diagnose and run down a loose ground or could wire in new solar panels, or switch out lead acid batteries to lithium, etc. etc.  Or perhaps he could learn to service the AquaHot systems... or swap out NeverCold fridges for residential fridges...  Learn how to repair de-laminated side walls or peeling clear coat.  There are a ton of different systems or other areas that he could pick up skills for.  Of course, its going to depend on the population of the area you are in to provide a sufficient client base.  I do wish you guys luck with what ever adventure you choose. 

• Like 1

Some excellent responses so far. So far the responses above were focused on a new career and that is definitely a good reason to get the qualifications. 
If the purpose is to learn the skills so as to do your own RV repairs then I would suggest to save the $14000 and use that as your RV repair fund because you will use it. 
We all wish we knew all there is to know about our RVs and that is why we are members of this great forum. 
In the end it will be his decision. The money will surely not be wasted.

If this is because you need the income, work a couple more years where’re your at. If you want to travel and do repairs, I would specialize in a particular repair like AquaHot. Set up a website showing where your located and where you plan to be.

• Like 2

I went back to grad school when I was 40, one of the oldest in my class.  Did it to move into another area of engineering away from mining. 

Kinda worked in that I moved up the into other areas of support and also the corporate ladder.  Would I do it again, HECK yes. 

A good excercise for you would be to do a lot of research and come up with a business plan, from a pessimistic point of view.  Figure out how long your husband would work if he did get is certification, hours he'd want to work, rates he charge etc.  Plus all the expenses, school, supplies, vehicle/mileage, insurance etc.  Do the numbers work out.   Does the thought of working ~5 more years worry you or him???

I retired early (probably too early as I'm getting a little board now).  But in 2018 a company contacted me about helping out babysit the engineering & geology department.  Enjoyed it and the GM was please because I got sh#! done.   Then the CEO of the company found out I was helping and requested I go to Quebec to a mine they were having trouble with.  Other then the language barrier I enjoyed doing that and saved them Millions of dollars.  Did that for 3 months but as soon as we got a couple heavy snows I said Bye Bye.  Two different VP's called to try and get me to stay.  Made some good money to replenish the piggy bank a little.  Now I'm getting board again, problem is I'm collecting SS now and Uncle Sam likes to tax people under 67 big time >>>> which is another consideration, TAXES!!

So a local RV sales service (Beaver Coach) hires off the street guys and trains them, and gives them tools. So getting PAID to learn. 

If he wants to work for someone, and sign some sort of agreement on length of time, I’d ask service shops if they’d take him on. Sounds like they would jump at the chance to have him on their team given the experience he already has. And a bonus, he’s in generation that knows how to work  let alone just show up for work 😂

• Like 4

Guest Ray Davis
51 minutes ago, Ivylog said:

If this is because you need the income, work a couple more years where’re your at. If you want to travel and do repairs, I would specialize in a particular repair like AquaHot. Set up a website showing where your located and where you plan to be.

I like it except for the $14k.  To me, $14k is a lot of money to spend at 65 and maybe have it not pay off.

As Ivylog stated,  maybe specialize,  it's a lot easier to learn all about Aqua-hots,  furnaces,  and air conditioners than try to know everything.

When I was 65 I failed to realize how quickly 82 was coming, and it came quickly.  I don't want to grow up but I just can't help it,  I'm lucky tho,  many don't even get the opportunity.   I tell folks if you want to travel then don't dilly dally, time stands still for no one.  If you really want to you can RV pretty cheaply,  ever been to Yuma or Quartzite in the winter?   Lots of RVs out there in the desert having a good ole time.

Susan / Bruce…long time ago my mecanical knowalge was 2 years in auto shop while 4 years as gas station mechanic, 8 years air force fleet mechanic when i got out i enrolled in A diesel automotive class that was 15 months long an well over what his class cost. I allready had “hands on” for several years Now what I wanted was formal traing for what i didnt know about HOW, something works,AND how to test properly. You dont have to sell me, i get it!!! When i put my hands on something, they seemed to know how to instinctively disassemble, an repair, i didnt seemed to have a edge to know how to test items. So now there is a better connect in knowing, understanding, inspection, as well as repair.

Hes got to do it for himself, he probly doesnt “need it”, but it will round him out! And im guessing he wants it like i did cause my curious mind wanted it. If you can afford it, i say go for it, cause you will forever be second guessing some repairs in your head an the knowledge will make him more confident.

• Haha 1

One issue I see is the ever increasing complexity of the newer RV's. 

My 2002 Windsor is simple compared to older Monaco coaches.  Older Monaco coaches are simple compared to newer coaches.  High end coaches are just down right complicated and each manufacturer is different. 

So trying to develop a knowledge base for all of the different brands would be difficult to say the least.  Not sure what kind of support the manufacturers would provide an independent tech, just something to research and more questions to ask while you investigate the possibility of going down that path.  Not sure what kind of special equipment is required to help diagnose and fix problems.  

I've been out of industry almost 10 years now but I know as we got new equipment in we'd have to get all the new diagnostic tools "toys" to maintain them.  Some of the mechanics relished this, others dreaded it, and the accountants hated it.  But it was an evil necessity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You have worked for retirement, everyday is a Saturday except SUNDAY!  I retired several years ago at 55 and never looked back.  Having too much fun doing whatever whenever.  Each morning when I wake up I thank the lord.  Many great ideas previously mentioned, lots to think about.  With all the knowledge the other guys have on this forum he doesn't need training.  Good luck on whatever endeavor (not the motor home) you choose.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/30/2023 at 10:34 AM, Bruce Hull said:

My husband is approaching retirement, And thinking about retiring early and attending school for repairing r v's. ??  Cost  about $14000.    He does all the repairs. On ours RV his self, Including small engine work (oil changes fuel pumps , starter, alternators, etc) and remodeling. And setting up our tow car!  So Is there a need? And do you think it would be a good idea??? What do you think? Thank you ,   Sue and Bruce 2003 Monaco windsor

I Would Not take my motorhome to any repair place that Was Not a Factory Authorized Service Center.  Here today, gone tomorrow.  Chuck B

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Chuck B 2004 Windsor said:

I Would Not take my motorhome to any repair place that Was Not a Factory Authorized Service Center.  Here today, gone tomorrow.  Chuck B

If it’s out of warranty what does it matter? Unless you’re talking super high dollar Newell or Prevost, most of the RVs today share so many of the components. 

A lot of repairs are appliances, seals/damage, slides, etc. These are all shared components between manufacturers.