Help! No power at all 4 slide switches at panel - 2004 Cheetah

Go to solution Solved by Tom Cherry,

I have no 12 volts at the 4 slide switches on the panel. I have a Power Gear system.  I have checked every fuse. Is there relays, circuit breakers or in line fuses somewhere??? Thanks in advance.

20230603_131912.jpg

Thanks Jim. My bay doors  don't have those switches. I just lost 12 volts at the main panel at the 4 slide in/out swithes. All the slide motors work. I used a spare 12 volt battery to bring the slides in. Any ideas???

Yes.

Thanks

55 minutes ago, gdroberson said:

have someone hit the slide switch while you keep the meter on the out put side of the solenoid and see if the volts stay could be bad contacts in the solenoid

Hi Thanks for input. Dumb question. Where can I find the slide solenoid? I have 4 slides.

• Solution

We don’t have a copy of the Cheetah prints in our wiring diagram files.  You need to look at the slide ptint.  Generically, this is how the system works.  Am on ipad, so researching without my trusty dual screen PC is tough.

Control power for the switch has three interlocks or safeties.  

• parking brake has a ground switch….that is what turns on the “idiot” light on the dash or display.  That is also tied Into the rest of the interlocks.  If you don’t have the idiot light on, when the ignition is on (brake set and on), then the switch under the brake control is bad or a loose wire. Typically Monaco did it this way….
  • bay door switches.  They were for the doors that swung up rather that opened like a cabinet door.  Each switch was in series….so a bad switch or a bay door not latched and closing the switch killed the circuit.
  • ignition interlock relay. There is a normally closed Bosch relay.  If the ignition switch is “ON”….as in could be running, the relay gets energized.  That kills the control power to the switches….
  • OK….there is typically a 5 - 10 A fuse (Dynasties have a mini circuit breaker) that is on the HOUSE system.  That power goes to the Bosch relay.  Then, assuming the ignition interlock relay (normally closed) is not energized, then that control voltage goes to the center pin(s) of the slide switch(es).  When you depress, the correct signal goes to your controller.  In reality, if there is a hydraulic system, that signal may go to a controller module or a series of valves and motor start solenoid.

In your case, the Controller gets higher current power and that runs the motor(s). Thus, no (separate) incoming signal(s) from the switches….no Joy.

We (members and moderators) cannot tell you the exact source or which fuse (mini circuit breaker) supplies the switches.  BUT it DOES go through a Bosch ignition relay.

if you or another Cheetah member has the prints in the back of your manual, if they are scanned, we sure would like a copy for the files and then we can provide more specifics on where the initial power comes from..

Good luck and keep us updated.  We are getting more Cheetah members.

PS….If you do a search for “wiring” and use the dropdown and select “files”, you see what we have.  I know that the 2005/6 Camelot/Scepters use the same slide control.  I “SUSPECT” that the 2004 Windsors “might” be similar.  So, if you don’t have the manual and prints, look there.

10 hours ago, Cajunboy1959 said:

Yes.

Thanks

Hi Thanks for input. Dumb question. Where can I find the slide solenoid? I have 4 slides.

See my post….you don’t have a “solenoid” per say….you should a standard 5 pin Bosch plug in relay.  It is the “slide ignition” interlock device. Your prints will be the best bet. Some are up front in electrical bay. Some are in the back.  Some are behind the panel where the switches are located.  ODDS ARE….you lost a fuse (mini breaker?).  IF your ignition Switch was OFF and if you had(have) a Parking Brake light ON (with the ignition switch ON), then the the relay is should NOT be energized and would not be the issue.  Remember, it is a normally closed one.

my hunch…..fuse…but finding it based on the manual or your prints may take some time.  I would not go chasing a bad relay, which is in the normally closed position, without verifying the power source….

Hope this helps 

• Tom Cherry changed the title to Help! No power at all 4 slide switches at panel - 2004 Cheetah

I have a circuit boards looks like this  https://www.nwrvsupply.com/product/kib-slide-out-control-board-kibsoc1020awd/

There is a 5 amp fuse that on mine blows about every 3-4 years, replace the fuse and all is good MOST of the time.  Last time it blew I had a problem with the inhibitor switches, fixed that problem and put new fuse in and all was good.

In my case this slide controller is in my rear passenger side rear electrical bay which controls my slideouts.  I have one in the front drivers side compartment and it controls my generator slide. 

2 hours ago, Tom Cherry said:

We don’t have a copy of the Cheetah prints in our wiring diagram files.  You need to look at the slide ptint.  Generically, this is how the system works.  Am on ipad, so researching without my trusty dual screen PC is tough.

Control power for the switch has three interlocks or safeties.  

• parking brake has a ground switch….that is what turns on the “idiot” light on the dash or display.  That is also tied Into the rest of the interlocks.  If you don’t have the idiot light on, when the ignition is on (brake set and on), then the switch under the brake control is bad or a loose wire. Typically Monaco did it this way….
  • bay door switches.  They were for the doors that swung up rather that opened like a cabinet door.  Each switch was in series….so a bad switch or a bay door not latched and closing the switch killed the circuit.
  • ignition interlock relay. There is a normally closed Bosch relay.  If the ignition switch is “ON”….as in could be running, the relay gets energized.  That kills the control power to the switches….
  • OK….there is typically a 5 - 10 A fuse (Dynasties have a mini circuit breaker) that is on the HOUSE system.  That power goes to the Bosch relay.  Then, assuming the ignition interlock relay (normally closed) is not energized, then that control voltage goes to the center pin(s) of the slide switch(es).  When you depress, the correct signal goes to your controller.  In reality, if there is a hydraulic system, that signal may go to a controller module or a series of valves and motor start solenoid.

In your case, the Controller gets higher current power and that runs the motor(s). Thus, no (separate) incoming signal(s) from the switches….no Joy.

We (members and moderators) cannot tell you the exact source or which fuse (mini circuit breaker) supplies the switches.  BUT it DOES go through a Bosch ignition relay.

if you or another Cheetah member has the prints in the back of your manual, if they are scanned, we sure would like a copy for the files and then we can provide more specifics on where the initial power comes from..

Good luck and keep us updated.  We are getting more Cheetah members.

PS….If you do a search for “wiring” and use the dropdown and select “files”, you see what we have.  I know that the 2005/6 Camelot/Scepters use the same slide control.  I “SUSPECT” that the 2004 Windsors “might” be similar.  So, if you don’t have the manual and prints, look there.

See my post….you don’t have a “solenoid” per say….you should a standard 5 pin Bosch plug in relay.  It is the “slide ignition” interlock device. Your prints will be the best bet. Some are up front in electrical bay. Some are in the back.  Some are behind the panel where the switches are located.  ODDS ARE….you lost a fuse (mini breaker?).  IF your ignition Switch was OFF and if you had(have) a Parking Brake light ON (with the ignition switch ON), then the the relay is should NOT be energized and would not be the issue.  Remember, it is a normally closed one.

my hunch…..fuse…but finding it based on the manual or your prints may take some time.  I would not go chasing a bad relay, which is in the normally closed position, without verifying the power source….

Hope this helps 

Good morning and thanks for all the great info. Could this be the relay for the power Gear slides?

20230603_080359.jpg

I had a major break through today. I found the slide out control board in a hidden compartment where the inverter is housed. I had to remove a black plastic box attached to the roof where the compartment light was. See attached photos. I have solved the problem. 5 amp fuse was blown and 1 bad relay out if 5 on the board. Thanks for everybody's input. I'm grateful for this Monaco forum.

20230605_184117.jpg

20230605_184137.jpg

20230605_184449.jpg

20230605_184456.jpg

20230605_184103.jpg

There you go, my 5 amp fuse blows about every 3 years under normal circumstances, no reason why.  Never had a bad relay.

But last year the 5 amp fuse blew and when i replaced it blew immediately.  Started checking everything, I visually checked the inhibitor switched and they appeared good.  Couldn't find a problem with the slide mechanisms.  I even tested each motor using a battery charger, they worked both directions.

I then removed the large wiring harness and used an Ohm meter to check each circuit.  Put one lead on ground and then probed each pin wire.  Found one wire going to ground and it was the inhibitor switch wire.  So I started checking the inhibitor switches.  I had been having one not working everytime I closed the bay door, front drivers side door.  Checked that one first and when I tried to pull one of the wires off the whole thing just fell apart.  It was bad but I had bought a spare and replaced it.  That solved the problem. 

17 hours ago, Cajunboy1959 said:

I had a major break through today. I found the slide out control board in a hidden compartment where the inverter is housed. I had to remove a black plastic box attached to the roof where the compartment light was. See attached photos. I have solved the problem. 5 amp fuse was blown and 1 bad relay out if 5 on the board. Thanks for everybody's input. I'm grateful for this Monaco forum.

20230605_184117.jpg

20230605_184137.jpg

20230605_184449.jpg

20230605_184456.jpg

20230605_184103.jpg

GREAT….

Jim is a great resource.   Just to address, as well as explain or maybe speculate and get some feedback.  I was not expecting a slide control board from other models.  I did look at the prints that you posted.  There are several that show various configurations.  What throws me from going over the prints is your “4” slides comment.  On the house fuse panel, there are fuses for the “bedroom” (one or two not clear?) and the living and galley….so, you have 4 fuses.  I’m guessing or hoping that these were OK.

NOW….if the 5 amp fuse and relay solved the problem, I’m going to hypothesize….and if you or Jim can chime in and correct, that would be great.

Lets address your board.  I assume that all the relays were populated?  IF NOT, then I totally do NOT understand that board and why it is in use….nor WHY the 5 amp fuse was the culprit.  There are 5 relays on the board.  The one in the upper LEFT  corner is the infamous “slide lockout/ignition relay.  That is what (the board) supplies power to the other 4 relays.  In MANY systems, mine included, there are 2 relays for one side or motor.  So, if you have a BED slide and and a WARDROBE slide in the back, you have two motors…..one (only one) on each slide.  Power comes into this board by a #10 cable and the motors are doing the “extend/retract”.  You have TWO relays that swap or reverse polarity to a single motor.  So… a 5 relay board will work two motors.  That is what confuses me.  It seems like your board is used to provide “a control signal” to a downstream controller….  As in ….say relay 5.  One side of the relays sends an EXTEND signal to a downstream controller….snd conversely, when the switch is pushed for the opposite action, the relay stays “normally closed….and that sends the RETRACT signal to the controller.

What we need is the schematic for the board…..as well as the overall schematic for the whole system….not the “paper doll” layout in your print. Bottom line, your board may look like mine, but the relay outputs are totally different and mine only controls two motors.  BUT, the R1 relay or ignition lockout relay provides control power for my two front hydraulic powered slides.

I know this is confusing….and i hope someone can comment and provide a print for that board.

Glad it is fixed….give some feedback as to my questions about relays and population…

Hi Tom,

I'm far from an expert on this stuff. I have had my Cheetah 6 weeks. I've been an RVer for 6 weeks. The attached picture is the power  gear synchronization unit. I think? I think the previous owner shorted something in the panel by the switches the blew the 5 amp fuse. I think?

20230605_184132.jpg

Thanks

• 1 month later...
On 6/6/2023 at 8:02 AM, jacwjames said:

There you go, my 5 amp fuse blows about every 3 years under normal circumstances, no reason why.  Never had a bad relay.

But last year the 5 amp fuse blew and when i replaced it blew immediately.  Started checking everything, I visually checked the inhibitor switched and they appeared good.  Couldn't find a problem with the slide mechanisms.  I even tested each motor using a battery charger, they worked both directions.

I then removed the large wiring harness and used an Ohm meter to check each circuit.  Put one lead on ground and then probed each pin wire.  Found one wire going to ground and it was the inhibitor switch wire.  So I started checking the inhibitor switches.  I had been having one not working everytime I closed the bay door, front drivers side door.  Checked that one first and when I tried to pull one of the wires off the whole thing just fell apart.  It was bad but I had bought a spare and replaced it.  That solved the problem. 

Good morning Jim,

I did get 3 of the 4 slides to work. Can you take a picture of your inhibitor switch. I'm not sure my bay doors have them???

Thanks Gary

7 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

Good morning Jim,

Thanks for the link for the switch. I don't think I have any baggage door switches on my 2004 Safari Cheetah. 

Gary P

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the link. I needed to see a picture of the switch. I can't find anything that looks like that switch on my baggage compartment doors. I don't think my 2004 Safari Cheetah PDQ has switches. I'm puzzled.

Gary P