2005 Dynasty Slide Outs Not Retracting ( and fix )

We got ready to break camp Saturday morning and my slides would not retract, the big one got about 80% in and the hydraulic pump motor stopped.   I checked all the fuses and they are good, and I also had power to the soleniod strapped to the side of the motor.  I ended up tapping the end of the motor a few times with the handle of my screwdriver and it started working again.  

I watched a YouTube video about a guy tearing apart his motor and replacing the brushes.   I pulled my motor off last night to clean and check the brushes, and my motor was nothing like his (luckily).  His motor was smaller, the one on my unit was 3.5" in diameter with the two screws spaced 3" apart.   If you tap on your motor to fix it, tap the end, not the sides! 

This 3.5" motor has very large wedged shaped brushes, you can see in the attached photo.   For springs push them down onto the stator, they engage on the end rather than the sides like most motors.   I removed the black tray the holds them, cleaned them all and reassembled it.   It really wasn't that dirty; hopefully the cleaning keeps it going for another 18 years without issues.

The two small Philips screw remove that small cover, those screws also hold the brush assembly to the end of the motor.   It has access to the brush springs under it behind the little plastic plugs, but I didn't remove them as I didn't want to break them.  

It was pretty easy to get the motor off and back on through the hatch in the step, and it took about 1 hour start to finish.    

Hopefully this will help someone down the road.

Granville Barker - 2005 Monaco Dynasty

HYDMOTOR.jpg

HYDMOTOR2.jpg

HYDMOT3.jpg

• Like 1