Step well cover

On my 2008 Monaco Diplomat 40’ PDQ, the  interior step well cover has decided not to close.  The arms connected to the linear actuator have a plastic bushing that connects to a small rod on the travelers.  You can see these in the pics below.  The red line points to the small rod (pivot point).  The yellow line points to the connecting arm bushing. 

When the connecting arm bushing is connected to the small rod, what mechanism keeps them connected?  Screw maybe that has come out of the small rod?  Some type of clip?  Spring loaded?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Tony

ACFB78A8-DE58-4CFD-B858-63930E849B4B.jpeg

4F8E877E-EF5A-4F55-AFCA-4297F2927C95.jpeg

Is the red hollow all the way through?  If so, then you can put a bolt in there.  Put the flat had towards the rails so it doesn't interfere.  Maybe a carriage head bolt would be most flush to the backside.  Put a washer on the Yellow side and a double nut or a nylock nut.  Double so you can tighten one nut to each other without squashing the joint so it still pivots.

If not hollow, then I assume that there was a washer and the red was peened over to secure the washer (that got loose).   You could also look at drilling it hollow to use the bolt method.

Edited by DavidL

Wish i took more pics when I had mine out. But it looks and feels like a hollow rivet with a nylon bushing around it. Maybe the nylon acts as a washer.

E5696240-623F-4AA2-BC86-312D52E343CA.jpeg

90975D39-FC35-4EB7-916F-AC95E398B3DC.jpeg

Edited by Gary M
  • Thanks 1

Gary, thanks for response.  Mine has the same setup.  My question is what keeps the bushing attached to the hollow rivet?  Do I need new bushings, if so where do you get these?

Thanks for posting.

Tony

16 minutes ago, tdccmc said:

Gary, thanks for response.  Mine has the same setup.  My question is what keeps the bushing attached to the hollow rivet?  Do I need new bushings, if so where do you get these?

Thanks for posting.

Tony

Im dont know but just looking at mine. You probably need to figure a way to support the side of rivet u cant see and the u need a blunt taper punch to spread the end with a hammer on the end u can see. Spreading that side enough should hold the nylon part in place. If u still have the plastic pcs, put them back on and do your best to spread that end enough to hold the plastic in place. They are probably there for friction purposes.

Edited by Gary M

Tony, I may be confused but from your post, it appears your step cover simply won't close. Have you checked the solenoid which is on the fire wall in the generator compartment on the passenger side? May be something as simple as replacing that. If you do DO NOT CHANGE IT FROM UNDERNEATH.  Go in from the TOP thru the genset....Dennis

I completely rebuilt mine three years ago .  All the rivets and bushings were  loose and would cause all the moving parts to get out of alignment /position and bind.  Nylon bushings were all replaced and retained with SS bolts and nyloc nuts.  Rivets that needed  replaced were and I replaced the slides. 

No problems last three years.  Works  better and quieter than new - like it was designed to.

Pictures are here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/x36zSyMVhTGDXQV17

Brad L.

2013 Diplomat 43DFT 

• Like 1