2006 Camelot Windshield

i have a 2006 Camelot 43DSQ, it has a one piece huge windshield and for the 3rd year in a row now I have just had it  crack! Now in the past it has happened and always in the lower corners of the windshield on both passenger and driver sides. This time is no different except that my wife and I were sitting in MH and heard a bang like a rock was thrown against outside. Then I raised the curtain across the front of coach to see that it was cracked and not only cracked in both corners but severely cracked this time. The cracks in the past were interior of the glass  but this time you can feel them on the outside and pick up slivers into your finger.

I know this was always a problem but has anyone aware of what if anything Monaco is doing for customers of this issue? This is ridiculous and expensive besides this time I have concerns driving long distances with the present condition. Really pissed and sitting outside of Chicago with a dilemna.

We also have an '06 Monaco with a 1-piece windshield. We had 4 windshields crack in 5 years in the same corner and last year had fiberglass work done to permanently fix the issue. They removed fiberglass in one corner and added more on the other side.  I would suggest you have a windshield dry-fit before being replaced and they can tell you if it's a problem with the end cap.   Good Luck!  It was not a cheap fix and Monaco will be no help to you.

Tricia Neuzil

'06 Diplomat

Guest Timothy

Monaco did do something when they were still in business. The problem is there is no structural support at the top of the front cap and the windshield was installed before the front cap was installed on the coach . Often times there are issues with too much fiber glass in some places. You need to find a replacement co that is familiar with dry fitting the windshield. Often times they have to remove fiberglass so when the front cap flexes it doesn’t put the windshield into a bind. Monaco had a fix in that there was a kit that consisted of a piece of rectangular steel tubing that went between the two side walls at the face of the front cap above the windshield. It was bowed. At the center of the tubing was welded a steel plate. The plate sat against the front cap and got fiberglassed onto the front cap. This stiffened the front cap and to eliminate some of the flex and relieve pressure on the windshield. Unfortunately I wouldI not know where to find the retro parts. It would have to be fabricated by someone that understands what you need. The front cabinets and entertainment center has to be dropped to gain access. This really doesn’t help but hopefully you have a better understanding of what is causing the problem.

Our coach didn't need the kit to strengthen the front cap so yours might not either.  Our cabinets also didn't have to be removed.  Check with your insurance company because ours picked up the cost of the windshield except for our deductible.  We did have to pay for the fiberglass work.

Tricia Neuzil

I remember from back in the days during my many factory tours at Coburg that the front caps were constructed from fiberglass similar to a small boat hull.  The windshield opening was raw and needed trimming to fit the size of the windshield.  I think they used a sawzall to do the trimming and sometimes the opening didn't actually match the size of the windshield with the proper margins around the edges.  Over the years I have met several Monaco owners who have suffered the dreaded cracked windshield problem.  To my knowledge the only fix has been to have a competent boat repair shop (or a RV body shop) re-do and enlarge  the fiberglass opening to fit the windshield and then install a new windshield.  Not cheap!

Stan

Call Jeff, the owner from Windshield Magic on Junction City, OR Phone: 800-560-8061. He fixed in the past for Monaco a lot of RV's with struktural problems in the front and cracked windshields. He know what the problem is and how to fix them. He have to a mobile service, serve WA, OR, CA , ID, AZ and is in the winter time in Quartzsite, AZ.

Guest Tim503

I have a two piece windshield and remember them promoting the one piece windshield. It was a selling point for the new models. You can probably find literature on the internet about it. Right after I purchased my 98 in 06 my windshield showed a gap on the bottom right by the door and I called a glass guy and he moved it around in the rubber to make it seal. He added some butyl caulking, the same material used to seal your car windshield, and left. You wonder why the fiberglass caps should distort when the Monaco chassis is claimed to be rigid. Your problem is most likely expansion as others have said. Maybe put the middle divider in as the older models have and make it two pieces instead of one. Mine are plastic and they are yellowing but are 22 years old.

My unit had a 27" tube TV installed above the driver's seat. I didn't like it and the flat panels were coming out so I took it out and noticed the metal cross brace on the front of the ceiling panel was broken at the weld where it connected to the metal in the wall unit. I drove the motorhome to Coburg and took the tour. Afterwards I went to the main office and a high up guy came out to look at the broken weld. I was worried about safety and wondering what stresses made the weld break. He told me they did not install that into the unit. He said a previous owner must have installed that metal on the front of the ceiling unit. I didn't push it farther. I called both previous owners and they of course thought I was nuts for even asking that. I had a guy weld it back to the wall metal and went on with my life. Monaco would not tell you of any previous issues with a coach as that was confidential to the original owner.