RV AC in garage

Biljol

So  we will be taking possession of our new home in 22 days. It has an attached RV garage. Due to having some work done on the new home (flooring ) we will not be able to "move in" for a couple of weeks. Anyone have any experience with running the roof AC in a garage? My main concern is heating up the garage causing the AC to over work. The only non invasive solution I have so far is to leave the door open and use a large portable evap cooler to  move the air.

I am in phoenix so the added humidity not be a factor.   

Guest Cruzbill

Is your new garage insulated like the house? If its like ours, its not, and boy does it get hot in there; not from any heat gain by the RV A/C but just the fact that its a non-insulated space. I'd leave the RV in the driveway and be sure to plug into 50A  so you can use both ACs.

From an Engineer's perspective....I would try this.  Assuming that you are on 50 Amp service and NOT having to deal with the heat of your 10KW Genny...

Put a fan (say a 20" or so floor fan on TOP of the RV at the rear or the back of the garage.  Aim it towards the front.  That will keep the air moving.  Then put one on the floor at either side of the door and aim it inside or sit it inside.  That will allow for cooler (supposedly) air to come in.  The top fan will keep the hot air exhausted.

Now if you really want to move some air.....Costco and BJ's or Sams used to sell. "Squirrel Cage" carpet drying fans.  Those rascals put out a LOT of CFM.

I use an industrial grade 20" floor fan in my crawl space at home to keep the air moving so that my dehumidifier is getting a fresh or non-stagnant air flow.

That fan is an Air King and has 3760 CFM for $95..  I selected it as it would be a continuous or near continuous duty.  Bought from Amazon

However, for just a short time.....here is a better value...  This is from Amazon

Hurricane HGC736501 Floor Fan-20 Inch, Classic Series,

That fan is rated at just over 2100 CFM and is only $30.  SO, you could purchase 4 of them and get 4200 CFM incoming and 4200 CFM outgoing or exhaust.  That would move a LOT of air.  If you garage is say 50 ft long and say 16 ft wide and say 150 ft tall.....then you have 12,000 Cubic feet.  So, you would turn the air over once every 3 hours....  That does NOT take into account natural convection.  If you have a side entrance, you could add a fan there .  You want to keep the air on top of the MH moving.

NOW.....the OTHER thing to consider....TRY IT WITHOUT any fans.  Put a Refrigerator Temp Sensor on top of the MH.  Mount it on a chair or a camera tripod or somewhere NEAR the ceiling (center) of the Garage.  Don't run the AC and see how hot it gets in the heat of the day with the doors open.  THEN run the AC's for a while.  It will stabilize.  See how much temp gain you have....

I have a detached 15 x 30 rv garage with a temperature controlled exhaust fan near the peak on one end. Comes on at about 85 degrees.  Only 2 of the walls are insulated and drywalled, the east end and the south wall. I have run my a/c for several hours without any problem of which I am aware. Building is 22 feet tall at center and walls are nearly 15 feet to the trusses.  I only run one air at a time. I have never thought about running airs overnight.  It's warm here in Southern California,  but not like you will experience. 

Jim McPheters

08 dip 

I'm in the Palm Desert, CA area and it gets warm here.  I have a fully enclosed, fully insulated garage .  I just recently added a 30" 10,000 cfm circulating fan on the wall next to the RV to help move the air.  I only run the RV roof air when I'm working on the inside of it so I might run them 6 hours at a time.  I haven't had any issues.

I'm in the research stage of adding 2 mini split systems to the garage.  That project probably won't happen until next winter.

1 hour ago, windsorbill06 said:

I'm in the Palm Desert, CA area and it gets warm here.  I have a fully enclosed, fully insulated garage .  I just recently added a 30" 10,000 cfm circulating fan on the wall next to the RV to help move the air.  I only run the RV roof air when I'm working on the inside of it so I might run them 6 hours at a time.  I haven't had any issues.

I'm in the research stage of adding 2 mini split systems to the garage.  That project probably won't happen until next winter.

I've heard it can get warm there Bill 😅!!