Entry door key pad

Don't know the brand of YOUR keypad but mine is made by Essex. I had one key go in my original keypad back in 2009 and had to replace the entire keypad which I had purchased from Northwest RV Supply. That one lasted only about 5 years and again one key stopped working . That's when the company said that the original old style was very susceptible to sitting in the  sun a lot. They recommended that I order the upgraded keypad version from a company in southern California. That one is still working and has been there for over 6 years now.

The company is called A-1 Electric

https://www.a1electric.com/index.htm

Edited by Dr4Film

If yours is like mine, it's a KE1701 mfg by Essex. It is a sealed unit and not "fixable". That said, if you're not worried about warranty etc. I would disassemble it by cutting it open and see if you can clean the contacts. When putting it back together, make sure you use a waterproof glue. To remove the unit, simply remove the two screws and pull it out. You access the wiring from inside the passenger side arm rest. I simply unplugs. Installation is the reverse but it must be programmed before being usable. If you need instructions on how to do that, please ask. There should be programming instructions with the new unit though.....Best of luck...Dennis

On 7/2/2020 at 7:55 PM, Dennis H said:

If yours is like mine, it's a KE1701 mfg by Essex. It is a sealed unit and not "fixable". That said, if you're not worried about warranty etc. I would disassemble it by cutting it open and see if you can clean the contacts.

There are no contacts to clean in the Essex keypad. The buttons are piezoelectric. That’s why there’s no discernible movement when the buttons are pressed. 
Cheers

Walter

Edited by wamcneil

18 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

Don't know the brand of YOUR keypad but mine is made by Essex. I had one key go in my original keypad back in 2009 and had to replace the entire keypad which I had purchased from Northwest RV Supply. That one lasted only about 5 years and again one key stopped working . That's when the company said that the original old style was very susceptible to sitting in the  sun a lot. They recommended that I order the upgraded keypad version from a company in southern California. That one is still working and has been there for over 6 years now.

Thanks for the link Dr. I have an 03 Exec. old style Essex that sits everyday in the Phoenix sun. I have know that it will die sooner than later. My question - do you remember if the exchange was basically plug and pray or did the whole system have to be rewired? 

Thanks Ken

1 hour ago, Grampy OG said:

Thanks for the link Dr. I have an 03 Exec. old style Essex that sits everyday in the Phoenix sun. I have know that it will die sooner than later. My question - do you remember if the exchange was basically plug and pray or did the whole system have to be rewired? 

Thanks Ken

Ken,

There was no plug so the wires had to be combined together with an electrical union. The wires were all colored coded so I just followed the colors and used the manual as a reference to double check everything  Then you should reprogram the new keypad just to be safe.

1 minute ago, rtmurley said:

Will the new key pad fit in the key pad place?

Ray Murley 

2009 Dynasty

If you stick with the same style and not switch to a different one, yes. In my case I had to use the black base plate over again if I remember correctly.

Here is an old discussion on iRV2.com in regards to the Essex Keypad replacement which I was a part of at the time.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/essex-ke-1601-keyless-entry-230232.html

1 hour ago, Dr4Film said:

Ken,

There was no plug so the wires had to be combined together with an electrical union. The wires were all colored coded so I just followed the colors and used the manual as a reference to double check everything  Then you should reprogram the new keypad just to be safe.

VitoA on IRV2 discovered that Essex/A1 has a P/N (not listed on the site) that has the Monaco plug already on it for n-n-p installation 

cheers

Walter

17 hours ago, miacasa_2000 said:

Had same issues with mine replaced it with KE 1701BHC by Essex  also got mine from A1 Electric ( they sell genuine Essex). My coach being a 2003 had the smaller unit but enlarging the hole is a easy task. Best of all if yours is a Essex  then it's just plug and play. In 2015 it cost $180.00  Well worth it.

https://www.keyless.com/ke-1700/

Essex KE1701 BHC.jpg

I replaced mine with the other version that’s similar to original, because I didn’t want to cut the hole bigger. But it required some trimming/modifications to reuse the old aluminum trim piece and turned out to be a hassle. 
If I were doing it again I’d get KE1700  like you did and just cut the hole a little bigger. 
Cheers

Walter

My new keypad won't unlock the bay doors.

I just replaced my Essex entry keypad with the plugin replacement KE-171BHC for my 05 Dynasty.  My master code unlocks the entry door, but not the basement bay doors like the old keypad did.  The new keypad will lock the bay doors with the 555 locking code.  Am I missing something?  Is there some additional programming I need to do on the new keypad?

There are multiple “signal” wires coming out of the back of the keypad. 555 triggers the lock signal wire.  Your code triggers the wire associated with the main door solenoids. After you enter the normal code to trigger the main door signal wire, you hit another button to subsequently trigger the bay door signal wire. My bay doors are on the  wire triggered by 9/0, but yours may be on another button. The instructions that came with the keypad should describe this. 
cheers

Walter

Edited by wamcneil

Thank you all for your responses.......this MAY be starting to make sense to me, particularly Walter's pad 9/0 instruction.  When I bought the coach 4 years ago, I just continued using the prior owner's code.  AND....TA DA...it ended with the 9/0 key, AND, I reused the code on the new keypad. SO, that is what I'm going to try, adding another 9/0 after I enter the master code.  Thanks, I'll report back to close the loop.

On 7/2/2020 at 4:01 PM, rtmurley said:

Has anyone repaired the entry door key pad? I have one button that does not respond and wonder if I can take apart the pad and clean contacts.

Thanks,

Ray Murley

2009 Dynasty

Maybe I missed something.  If you have the separate keypad.....as in it is mounted alone, that is probably the Essex.  BUT, if you have a handle with a 5 button keypad, then that is the Trimark.  The Trimark is a complete assembly and you have to replace the entire unit....of that is what I think....the keypad is in the lower half of the handle.  The handle is translucent and has a light.

The only issue that folks have had with this unit was when Monaco or Trimark made a BLOOPER.  The 2009 or so (maybe a few years earlier) keypad have a very low current rating on the contacts.  Monaco was using a home style door bell.  Trimark switched or changed design of the components.  The keypad's contacts were downrated.

So, the bottom button, which was also the Door Bell, would not carry the full current for the household door bell.  That arced or shorted out the lower contact.

Monaco made some running fixes.....First they added a Relay so that the Door Bell was activated by a Bosch 5 pin relay.  The relay did the work.....that was OK.

Later on, they purchased a Radio Shack electronic door bell or "Chime" and discontinued the rear heavy current draw household door bell.  That chime sometimes goes bad.  Your's may be the Essex, stand alone, but I just wanted to clarify so that you get the proper advice....

Just trying to qualify.  Monaco was mostly using the Trimark systems in 2009, but depending on whether you 2009 was a hold over 2008 or if they found a complete system laying around and decided to use it, you may have the Essex system.  The Trimark device or component, unfortunately, is lot listed on my build sheet, so it might not be called out (or the Essex) on your Dynasty.

Good Luck

• 2 years later...
On 7/2/2020 at 3:02 PM, Dr4Film said:

Richard, Which company said the KE-1700 series was susceptible? Essex or A-1? Just curious who is recommending what. Looks like I'm in the market for a new keypad and mine is the 1700 series. Not excited about having to replace it again after this. These things are getting very expensive.

Thanks,

Greg

Edited by PTTech

Essex redesigned the keypad since the my original 2003 version. Now they sell two versions that I believe are identical internally.
One version has a form factor similar to the original that came on my 2003, but significantly different construction.  This one is marketed for cars. 
The other form factor is marketed for rvs and trucks and requires a bigger cutout. 
I’ve had the smaller version installed for about 6 years of direct afternoon sun exposure and it’s still working. 
I feel like they last longer now, but my experience is limited. 
Cheers

Walter

As can be seen above I installed the larger one KE 1701 BHC in the spring of 2015 so a little over 7 years ago. My coach lives outside un covered  and the lock is used everyday multiple times for 6 months and probably once week average the other 6 months. It still looks great and works flawlessly . My original one that failed was the smaller one but it lasted 12 years until like others one or two buttons failed to work all the time. So time will tell how long the newer one last. I can say now having both the larger one is a lot easier to use on your fingers (more area for your finger) and seems to make better contact faster with less push.   

Roy Mercier

2003 Dynasty

20 hours ago, PTTech said:

Richard, Which company said the KE-1700 series was susceptible? Essex or A-1? Just curious who is recommending what. Looks like I'm in the market for a new keypad and mine is the 1700 series. Not excited about having to replace it again after this. These things are getting very expensive.

Greg,

It was the Essex Company located in Carpinteria, CA. I called them directly first then they gave me the company in southern CA to order the new keypad.

On 7/2/2020 at 6:02 PM, Dr4Film said:

What are the features of the "upgrade?" Did they make it sun-resistant or is it shaded in some way?