Any drone enthusiasts here?

MSHappyCampers

Not sure if this is the right forum for this question, but didn't see a forum for hobbies.  Please move this post if I'm in the wrong forum.

I have wanted to get a drone for quite a while, but didn't want to spend big bucks for something that I wasn't sure I would enjoy and continue doing.  I wanted to keep the cost under $200 and get as many features as possible for that amount.  I found the Beast SG906 Pro that seems to have good reviews and most of the features I wanted.  Has anyone here bought that drone, and if so, what is your honest opinion of it?  I ordered one that is supposed to be delivered on July 27th.  https://www.banggood.com/ZLRC-SG906-Pro-5G-WIFI-FPV-With-4K-HD-Camera-2-Axis-Gimbal-Optical-Flow-Positioning-Brushless-RC-Drone-Quadcopter-RTF-p-1628944.html?gmcCountry=US&currency=USD&createTmp=1&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cpc_bgs&utm_content=frank&utm_campaign=frank-ssc-us-all-0418&ad_id=431928166734&ID=6270307531930&cur_warehouse=CN

Thanks for any comments and opinions!  

Joe

GREAT IDEA: A Hobby section!!

I've had a couple but have not been satisfied with any of them. Unfortunately the cheapy ones don't perform as advertised....just my opinion. Also, the cheapy ones won't fly in even the slightest breeze. Furthermore, many campgrounds are now outlawing them. Most California State Parks have them banned. They're allowed at the beach in some locations but the wind off the ocean makes flying them impossible. That said, the $1500 and up ones seem to be able to do at least what I want them to do, but I'm too cheap to spend that kind of money for something I'm pretty sure I'm gonna crash.... 🙂 I still have a jet I want to fly if I ever get the guts. It's still in the box.....Dennis

On edit: If you want to use the camera, make sure you get one that is mounted on a gimbal for stability...D

Edited by Dennis H

I got a Mavic pro about 3 years ago and have taken aerial shots in Houston campgrounds, up above Creede Colorado and some local campgrounds in Texas and  New Mexico have never had any problems , I always try to stay about 200' above  campgrounds,,,  lots of fun 

Wayne 2006 HR Neptune 

I got my 9 year old grandson a Altair Falcon.  They are about  $130 on amazon.  It's easy to fly, very forgiving.  If you let the controls go, the thing will just hover in place.  It does have propeller protectors,  but unless you want to get real aggressive with it, it's hard to crash.  It will auto take off and auto land.  You can download a free app and have video right on your phone or IPad.   

No doubt it's a beginners model, but it's great one to get started with. 

3 hours ago, windsorbill06 said:

I got my 9 year old grandson a Altair Falcon.  They are about  $130 on amazon.  It's easy to fly, very forgiving.  If you let the controls go, the thing will just hover in place.  It does have propeller protectors,  but unless you want to get real aggressive with it, it's hard to crash.  It will auto take off and auto land.  You can download a free app and have video right on your phone or IPad.   

No doubt it's a beginners model, but it's great one to get started with. 

And your granddaughter was quite happy with a couple of pockets full of pebbles off the ground. Such a sweet little girl!

10 hours ago, Dennis H said:

I've had a couple but have not been satisfied with any of them. Unfortunately the cheapy ones don't perform as advertised....just my opinion. Also, the cheapy ones won't fly in even the slightest breeze. Furthermore, many campgrounds are now outlawing them. Most California State Parks have them banned. They're allowed at the beach in some locations but the wind off the ocean makes flying them impossible. That said, the $1500 and up ones seem to be able to do at least what I want them to do, but I'm too cheap to spend that kind of money for something I'm pretty sure I'm gonna crash.... 🙂 I still have a jet I want to fly if I ever get the guts. It's still in the box.....Dennis

On edit: If you want to use the camera, make sure you get one that is mounted on a gimbal for stability...D

It's not so much that parks and campgrounds have banned them it's that so many operators are not adhering to the FAA rules which leads to those decisions.    "Never fly over any person or moving vehicle" is one of those rules. UAS  Rules

Edited by Hypoxia

I purchased the DJI Phantom 3 Advanced model with removable blade guards. I have four batteries and a backpack carrying case. I purchased it to use for an add-on real estate business but never got that business going before everyone was into it and most real estate companies were purchasing their own. Now I use it for recreational purposes plus I use it for when my brother and I go surf fishing in Flagler beach during the winters. It allows us to place our fishing lines significantly out further than either one of us could ever cast. Well out beyond the second sand bar.

Edited by Dr4Film
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Dennis H said:

Hi Dennis!  The SG906 Pro has the 2-axis gimbal camera which can be moved up and down from the remote.  It's a really big drone and the reviews say it can handle wind better than most.  Because of it's weight I have to register it with the FAA.   I tried a couple of the really cheap ones and they were worth about what I paid for them!  

Joe

Also I think it all depends on what you’re using your drone for too. Do you have cameras on it or not? They should have a different category name for cam drones vs non cam drones. I’d only be interested in cam drones and taking video/pics of places we go. You get a totally different perspective from the air as to where you are. As long as you fly it in the legal air zones and not using it as a creeper peeper 

31 minutes ago, ken.knutson100 said:

Also I think it all depends on what you’re using your drone for too. Do you have cameras on it or not? They should have a different category name for cam drones vs non cam drones. I’d only be interested in cam drones and taking video/pics of places we go. You get a totally different perspective from the air as to where you are. As long as you fly it in the legal air zones and not using it as a creeper peeper 

Take a look at the Beast SG906 Pro.  It has really great features at a very reasonable price!

I bought a Robotics 3DR SOLO about 4 years ago and 2 years ago I dunked in it a fresh water reservoir.     I wasn't able to retrieve it until the following day, 24 hrs later.  My GoPro camera and memory card survived but the SOLO ... well not so much.  It appears the WiFi card in it crapped out.  I just purchased a replacement about 3 weeks ago but haven't worked on it yet.

If anyone is interested this is the last video I was able to record from it.  Also, as of January 1, 2020 this Fishing Camp has been closed. 

Edited by Mike H

6 hours ago, Mike H said:

I bought a Robotics 3DR SOLO about 4 years ago and 2 years ago I dunked in it a fresh water reservoir.     I wasn't able to retrieve it until the following day, 24 hrs later.  My GoPro camera and memory card survived but the SOLO ... well not so much.  It appears the WiFi card in it crapped out.  I just purchased a replacement about 3 weeks ago but haven't worked on it yet.

If anyone is interested this is the last video I was able to record from it.  Also, as of January 1, 2020 this Fishing Camp has been closed. 

Well, I watched the whole doggone video, waiting for the crash landing but it never came. What gives??? We want to see the ACTION   🙂   Dennis

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dennis H said:

Well, I watched the whole doggone video, waiting for the crash landing but it never came. What gives??? We want to see the ACTION   🙂   Dennis

Well Dang ... Not one of my better days.  I actually crashed it into a tree about a week or two earlier trying to record the very same video all by myself, but that's another video 😞  This is the very last time it has flown: 

23 minutes ago, Dennis H said:

This is what happens when you get careless

I actually thought of buying one to do roof top inspections which would save me from climbing up and down coaches. But after considering the liability that would come from crashing it into the side of someones coach I nixed the idea.

I  would still like to buy one to screw around with as a hobby. I can remember Ingrid and I stayed at a resort in AZ that had its own small airfield for RC planes. I was shocked at the number of RV'ers who used that air field for flying RC planes. It was a real cool idea and the only resort I have ever seen that had a small airfield with work benches, etc for the RC hobbyist.

• Like 1

Chris, that was a very smart decision. A lot of times you would also be dealing with dodging tree limbs, etc at the RV sites.

I have access to a RC Club here in Flagler Beach / Palm Coast that has a huge field with a very long runway. Lots of fun!

Edited by Dr4Film

50 minutes ago, throgmartin said:

I actually thought of buying one to do roof top inspections which would save me from climbing up and down coaches. But after considering the liability that would come from crashing it into the side of someones coach I nixed the idea.

I  would still like to buy one to screw around with as a hobby. I can remember Ingrid and I stayed at a resort in AZ that had its own small airfield for RC planes. I was shocked at the number of RV'ers who used that air field for flying RC planes. It was a real cool idea and the only resort I have ever seen that had a small airfield with work benches, etc for the RC hobbyist.

Chris,  I don't think you would get the level of detail, even with my 4K GoPros, to do what you want to do.  You might be better off mounting a GoPro on a long pole to get around up there because you could get much closer to the roof for inspecting things.  The new Mavic Pro is probably currently the best one to get now and they no longer make the Robotics 3DR SOLO quadcopter that I have.  The only Con I have had with the other ones is they have their own self contained cameras and I liked the idea they with mine now basically dead I can still use my cameras by themselves.

BTW;  If you do get one don't go for one of those 'cheap toys' and get a good one.  You'll be much happier as they will fly much much better and are more stable.  I was amazed at the quality of the video I was getting with mine.

Edited by Mike H

I am on my second DJI drone. I started with a Phantom 3 pro and now have a Mavic 2 Pro. The Mavic 2 Pro is amazing. I am presently making some aerial  shots to be used on our Co-Op's web site. The control and automatic control features of the M2P make it vey difficult to screw up. The camera is amazing and this thing shoots video that is TV high resolution quality. There is no doubt that the DJI drones are way ahead of all the other competition in both quality and features, even though they are a little pricey. Plus it's fun to fly

Chet P.

"04 SIG Castle IV

towing a 2015 Grand Cherokee diesel

11 hours ago, throgmartin said:

Unless the drone has been modified with an aftermarket camera I think you will find the cameras provided are for capturing scenic content (think wide angle lens) and won't give you the close up detail you would need.

I own an Autel EVO and this thing is flawless. 

It has many fixtures that respond to many of the concerns that some of you have about drones.

I would not say it can't crash to the side of another RV while inspecting the roof of your own RV, because I found that that nothing is impossible or it would not happen, but all "good" drones, meaning US Robotics like the EVO or the new EVO II or the DJI Magic, all have sensors that prevent crashes against obstacles. You can you full speed against a wall and they would NOT crash into.

I watched the crash video, and I don't say it would not happen with mine, but the low altitude alarms will be making me crazy, so is like a pilot on a A350 wants to crash it, it will crash.

Features that they have are; 

• Low battery warning, it will come on giving you enough time to return home.
  • Will return home on its own, just push a bottom and it goes back to the take off point. You have to watch out that usually when you hit HOME, the drone will climb up, so watch for trees.
  • Any new drone, Magic or EVO, will follow you, driving your RV, bicycling, canoeing or just walking. 
  • Autel works with a smartphone to access all its fixtures, so be sure you have a bright screen or a sunshade cover for it. I have a dedicated Crystal Sky monitor that is super bright, but it cost almost as much as the drone.
  • EVO has 4K with a 3 gimbals axis, EVO II has 8K with 3 gimbals axis.
  • Do you need 8K? Do you really need 4K? Those that are into video can understand that even a 1080 would take great pictures or video, will need more post in editing  but still good.
  • 4K needs more memory card space, equals less recording time; just double that with 8K.

Get more batteries.

DJI just lost a lawsuit with Autel, and they can't be sold in the USA, so whoever distributor has them in stock may want to get rid of them cheap.

Search in Ebay, but before you buy anything in Ebay see how much it cost new.

If you get one, just watch in YouTube instructional videos, skip those "open box" video, I am sure everyone can figure how to open a box on their own, but there is many video they are very technical, specially from the manufacturers or people they use it for a leaving. You can learn how to adjust setting so you don't have a jerking motion when you make turns and your video is very smooth. How to set your maximum speed, so when you push the stick forward does not accelerate like you starting a race;  EVO can reach 60 mph, so if you want to get that "cinematic" look or either be careful with your finger or you set a lower (very low) maximum speed.

Some " reviewers" like captain Drone,  will tell you things that are not true, so read the comments too and get the real impression from the actual users, not from those that are "thinking" to buy one. I guess you can apply this to all the YouTube reviews.

My 3 cents

William

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/5/2020 at 9:36 AM, throgmartin said:

Chris,

There is an RC hobby airport about 2 miles from my house. We drive by it often and they have about 5 rallies a year there with many RVs camped for the event.

On 7/8/2020 at 6:35 PM, MSHappyCampers said:

Thanks Scotty!  Man, you work fast!  🙂

Well, for a Hattiesburg boy that went to MSU and now lives in GA, I do OK. My in-laws live just up the road from you in Aberdeen. 

The site is a lot of work (I guess it’s my hobby??) but I enjoy doing it. 😉

• Like 1