Any drone enthusiasts here?

MSHappyCampers

5 hours ago, Scotty Hutto said:

Well, for a Hattiesburg boy that went to MSU and now lives in GA, I do OK. My in-laws live just up the road from you in Aberdeen. 

The site is a lot of work (I guess it’s my hobby??) but I enjoy doing it. 😉

WOW, small world isn't it!  🙂

2 hours ago, MSHappyCampers said:

My Beast SG906 Pro drone came in today!  Now all I have to do is figure out how to fly it!  ☺️

Keep it away from  the trees and water,  good luck and enjoy!

Edited by Dr4Film

16 hours ago, Dennis H said:

Is that an early birthday present?????

Birthday and Father's Day!  🙂

Tried it in the back yard yesterday.  Yeah, I know, not a good idea, but I kept it low and slow and was prepared to cut the throttle if something went wrong.  It is incredibly stable.  I pressed the auto takeoff button and it rose to about 3' and just waited.  I tried to familiarize myself with the simple functions.  Whenever I take my hands off the controls it just hovers there in the same spot.  I'll be playing with it late this afternoon when it's a little cooler!  So far I'm really impressed! 

About a month ago I bought a DJI Mavic 2 Pro.  It is my first drone and it takes amazing 4k videos and still pictures.  Spent 5 days flying it at a resort in Kerrville.  Has lots of built in routines and safety features.  Could not believe the videos it took from 400 feet in the air.  Most fun I have had in months, sure made f orget about the covid.

DJI_0050.JPG

DJI_0023.JPG

DJI_0037.JPG

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, lwkhou said:

About a month ago I bought a DJI Mavic 2 Pro.  It is my first drone and it takes amazing 4k videos and still pictures.  Spent 5 days flying it at a resort in Kerrville.  Has lots of built in routines and safety features.  Could not believe the videos it took from 400 feet in the air.  Most fun I have had in months, sure made f orget about the covid.

DJI_0050.JPG

DJI_0023.JPG

DJI_0037.JPG

Beautiful pics!  Hope mine does half that good!  

2 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

Outstanding Joe! I am glad we got to see the pilot too.

Safe flying now and let us know when we can see your video of the acrobatic routine you are planning to do with inside and outside loops.  😁

I don't know who that old guy is flying my drone!  

6 hours ago, Dennis H said:

Don't know about the SG but even the Mavic's top speed is about 17mph so I doubt the SG is faster. If your racer won't go over 17 mph it probably doesn't need to be filmed.( 🙂 ) .. Dennis 🙂

That's true.  LOL

I wasn't really expecting it to keep up, my current racer will have a topend of around 175mph.

I'd just like to be able to get some rolling shots of my street cars, maybe a nice burnout or a drift shot here and there. 🙂

Thanks,

David

10 hours ago, dl_racing427 said:

Wow, that looks really stable, and the video quality is great for the price point.
Can it automatically track the subject and keep it in the frame?

What's it's top speed?  Interesting in tracking a vehicle.

Thanks,

David

Yes, it has the "follow me" feature but I haven't tried it yet.  It has high and low speeds but I don't know what they are.  Right now I'm taking it slow!  🙂

Another update! All of my flying has been in late afternoons with the winds calm. Yesterday we had a thunderstorm pass through a few miles away and we got some winds from it, gusting to probably 20 MPH. I decided to see how the SG906 Pro would handle in the wind.

I was very nervous so I lifted it off slowly to see what would happen. A few feet off the ground and it was still steady. I began to lift it higher, still steady. I took it up to about 100', above the surrounding trees which were whipping around pretty good in the gusty winds, and it was rock steady, hardly any movement! I was totally amazed. I forgot to take the cover off the camera so didn't get any video. I'm really happy with the results and further convinced that I made the right decision in the purchase!

• 2 months later...
On 7/11/2020 at 9:05 AM, MSHappyCampers said:

My Beast SG906 Pro drone came in today!  Now all I have to do is figure out how to fly it!  ☺️

Joe, have you found any sites that have decent instructions??? Even with a magnifying glass that writing is hardly legible. Mine doesn't seem to want to take pictures. I'm sure it's just a button I'm not pushing but it'd really be nice if there was a youtube or something to help out us newbies. The vids I found were all about evaluation and comparison with very little, if any, instructions. Any help is appreciated....Dennis

Hi Dennis!  Yup, I had the same problem with the tiny print!  I used a scanner to copy the entire manual, then I used the editing process to blow it up so I can read it easily.  I can copy my finished pages and e-mail them to you if that would help.  

Joe

I have bought 5 cheap drones and have had difficulty getting even grandkids to learn to use them... and asked a friend who checked on them and found poor reviews. I bought another a little more expensive and hope to try it soon.  Drones obviously work. From what I have learned so far, they require downloading a related software program to your cell phone and then a start up process that links them to multiple low level satellites.  I do intend to persue this hobby after getting to my Naples abode around Thanksgiving.... hopefully finding a knowledgeable  fellow camper.    I think this thread should be continued.  Erniema @ aol .com

Ernie Maier

As I mentioned before, I have an Autel EVO first generation, has a 3axis Gimbal and a 4K camera.

Yes they are expensive but you have to figure if its good for you or not.

3 axis means that you have a steady camera that also can be controlled up and down, then you have fixture that for me that I am a beginner and scared one, that are important to me. Like I used last weekend and it lost communication because my display was low in battery. Other drones may would be lost. My returned by itself.

There is so many things that this thing does that I need time to learn.
Yes all drones they have an app, but also you need some type of sunshade for your phone or play under a tree, because most likely you would not see anything.

There is some display out there that they have 1000 cd/m² which means is 3 times brighter than a cell phone, but cost as much as the drones.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I am missing something here.  Have the rules for drone pilots changed?

No flying near a flight path, within 5 miles of an airport, near a St. Park, In a National Park.  Most campgrounds and RV parks also ban them.

I have a Mavic Pro.  I bought it at Christmas and before better weather in spring the rules changed so it has never flown.   Have the rules changed again recently?