Slide seal friction tape

I have four slides but for unknown reasons only one of them has friction rape around it to pull the seals into position when extending or retracting the slides.  Is there a special product for this or do I just get 2” step anti-skid tape?

Ed   
‘05 HR Ambassador

56 minutes ago, throgmartin said:

Ed:

Anti skid tape will work but you have to be careful that the grit is not aggressive or you will end up wearing out the seals. I have seen owners use anti skid tape that was real coarse and it wore the seals out pretty quickly.

Here is a tape that will work - https://www.campingworld.com/camco-grip-tape-320932.html

Thanks Chris.

I was wondering how I can put the tape on top of the slides with the covers installed.  Then I had a “brilliant idea”.  Put the tape on when the slides are retracted and I can access the top of slide from inside the coach.  Wrong.  There’s only an inch or so gap between the top trim piece of the slide and the ceiling.  Can’t get my hands in there nor see to do the work.  How difficult is it to remove and reinstall the slide cover mechanism to do this job?

Ed

Ed:

You do not apply the tape to the top. The seams and eternabond tape almost always flips the top wiper seal into position.

The grip tape is used on the sides only. This is where an inverted slide seal will cause damage. If your toppers are in good shape and fit well then you should not get any water on the roof of the slide.  Simply apply the tape to the sides and call it good.

10 hours ago, throgmartin said:

Ed:

You do not apply the tape to the top. The seams and eternabond tape almost always flips the top wiper seal into position.

The grip tape is used on the sides only. This is where an inverted slide seal will cause damage. If your toppers are in good shape and fit well then you should not get any water on the roof of the slide.  Simply apply the tape to the sides and call it good.

Makes sense.

Thanks

On 7/5/2020 at 7:36 AM, throgmartin said:

Ed:

Anti skid tape will work but you have to be careful that the grit is not aggressive or you will end up wearing out the seals. I have seen owners use anti skid tape that was real coarse and it wore the seals out pretty quickly.

Here is a tape that will work - https://www.campingworld.com/camco-grip-tape-320932.html

Chris,

This is what I am putting on mine.  What are your thoughts?  

Screenshot_20200707-073541_Amazon Shopping.jpg

2 hours ago, throgmartin said:

Should work OK Steve. I would order one first to see how aggressive the grit is. You can always go back and order more.

If it doesn't work I will come up and work for free as your surgical assistant.  🙂

Lol.  The grit seems a little coarse, I'll watch it.  I was thinking of rubbing a soap bar on it at times if needed. 

On 7/5/2020 at 11:27 AM, throgmartin said:

Ed:

Thanks Chris.  Search turned up this tape for less than $5/roll on Pep Boys eBay site. They only had 3 rolls left but that turns out to be exactly what I need for my three slide sides.

Ed

On 7/5/2020 at 6:46 AM, saflyer said:

Thanks Chris.

I was wondering how I can put the tape on top of the slides with the covers installed.  Then I had a “brilliant idea”.  Put the tape on when the slides are retracted and I can access the top of slide from inside the coach.  Wrong.  There’s only an inch or so gap between the top trim piece of the slide and the ceiling.  Can’t get my hands in there nor see to do the work.  How difficult is it to remove and reinstall the slide cover mechanism to do this job?

Ed

I had to put a strip on the roof of my bedroom dresser slide. Wipe seal wasn't flipping all the way in the center.

Luckily, I have 6" or so clearance above the trim with this slide retracted.

On 7/7/2020 at 2:12 PM, Steven P said:

Lol.  The grit seems a little coarse, I'll watch it.  I was thinking of rubbing a soap bar on it at times if needed. 

Spray it down with 303 Protectent every 3 or 4 months. That will help. The seals need UV protection anyways so you can kill 2 birds with one stone.

• Thanks 1