Norcold lawsuit settlement payment

Guest Cruzbill

We swapped out our Norcold (was working fine) for a Fisher Paykel. What a difference! Its a fridge that keeps things cold, no matter the temp outside. Quiet, and takes about 1 kwh of power a day. Now, where is that 4th check??

5 hours ago, Cruzbill said:

We swapped out our Norcold (was working fine) for a Fisher Paykel. What a difference! Its a fridge that keeps things cold, no matter the temp outside. Quiet, and takes about 1 kwh of power a day. Now, where is that 4th check??

+2 on the Fisher Paykel.

My 4th check arrived today in Indiana.  Yay.    Lots of folks complain about these units, but mine works great!   It becomes a freezer if set it to the coldest setting. 

The Amish guy Leon, at National Refrigeration, near Elkhart, gave it a cleaning and an overhaul a few years ago when I had it removed for some structural wood re-building when the ice maker supply line sprung a leak and I didn't find it till the damage was done.

My checks went to an RF18 Samsung.  Love it.  Actually is cold and gets cold almost as soon as we ready the coach fo a trip.  Problem with the PF is you need a pure sine wave inverter whereas the existing modified works just fine.  Im also looking for the last check so I can remove this from my tickler list.  Wish it came as a one time lump, the outflow sure did.

Rich Cutler 06 Windsor 

Guest Tim503

Not one listed the amount of the check. Is that one of those questions you're not supposed to ask?

26 minutes ago, Tim503 said:

Not one listed the amount of the check. Is that one of those questions you're not supposed to ask?

Not really Tim... Norcold was involved in a class action suit several years ago. If you had a Norcold (certain models etc) you could opt into the lawsuit. Since my Norcold (which failed twice) was one I joined. The payout was somewhere around $1100, payable July 1st every year for three/four years. This was the final check of $113 plus some change. The other years were around $330. I don't have the exact figures at my fingertips. If that's important to you or anyone else, I'm sure someone on here has the exact figures. If not, I can dig them up. I used the three previous checks to buy my Samsung residential and simply tossed the Norcold in the dumpster. This one is going to be used to upgrade my GPS...Dennis

$113.69 smallest and final payment.  I don't remember a check in the $300 range.  Darn Home Depot July sale is over.  Had a RF18 for $998 stainless steel.  Have to wait for the next sale.  Redhorse819 I hope you had full coverage  insurance!

Home Depot is where I got mine.  Delivered to RVv shop that put it in through the driver window.  Apparently easier than the door.  I understand people do it both ways.

Sorry for the loss redhorse819, the class action let you opt out for separate suites.  Problem was not everyone knew of the suites.  Lots of folks missed out or just did not file.

Rich Cutler 06 Windsor   

6 hours ago, seadoo200hp said:

$113.69 smallest and final payment.  I don't remember a check in the $300 range.  Darn Home Depot July sale is over.  Had a RF18 for $998 stainless steel.  Have to wait for the next sale.  Redhorse819 I hope you had full coverage  insurance!

Go in and talk to the Store Manager. Not an ASM but the SM him/herself. Depending on the store, you might still be in luck.....Dennis

Not sure how I missed out on opting into this lawsuit.  I know I lost more than I got covered by insurance.  Mainly because I couldn't remember for certain what I had in my coach at the tiem.  Might I suggest all to take pictures and/or videos of everything you have in your coach just in case.  That includes storage areas.  You just never know.

• Thanks 1

Guest Tim503

A better payout than I would have thought. My twenty year old single door was still working and is in the shed for the recycle or the local distributor. I bought the $288 black Vissani on sale unit from Home Depot. After I got it home it said it needs 5" on each side, do not install in an RV and do not use an inverter. I decided to put it in anyway realizing the warranty was maybe void. It is still working with a modified or pure sine. Kind of irritating when they give you the size but then tell you in the installation it needs 5 inches of cooling around it. It seems that RF18 is the go to unit..

jjunio 222 thank you for the itemization and jogging this 60 year old memory.   Dennis also thanks for the suggestion about talking to the manager.  Just spent $$$ on tire inflation sensors and Norcold still working.  Want to do the change over before full-timing though.  Slowly getting there.