When to Replace Batteries?

Scotty Hutto

Hey Gang,

I’m trying to figure out if I need to replace my batteries...  I’ve tested battery voltages, both with load and no-load (I have a good battery tester), and for specific gravity.

The batteries are Interstate Deep Cycle Extreme GC2-XHD-UT 232 Ah, installed December 2015.

Two of the batteries test perfectly fine in all respects.  

One battery tests “weak” for voltage under load (5.4v).  No load voltage and specific gravity are fine.

One battery tests “weak” for voltage under load (5.8v) and has lower specific gravity in one cell (1.210 - 1.275)

We rarely boondock.

Should I try to stretch these a little longer until they go from “weak” to “fail”, or is the wise thing to go ahead and replace.  If I replace now I can save about $80 on the batteries I’ve selected due to a current sale.

Advice?

Thanks,

Scotty

12 minutes ago, Scotty Hutto said:

Hey Gang,

I’m trying to figure out if I need to replace my batteries...  I’ve tested battery voltages, both with load and no-load (I have a good battery tester), and for specific gravity.

The batteries are Interstate Deep Cycle Extreme GC2-XHD-UT 232 Ah, installed December 2015.

One battery tests “weak” for voltage under load (5.4v).  No load voltage and specific gravity are fine.

One battery tests “weak” for voltage under load (5.8v) and has lower specific gravity in one cell (1.210 - 1.275)

We rarely boondock.

Should I try to stretch these a little longer until they go from “weak” to “fail”, or is the wise thing to go ahead and replace.  If I replace now I can save about $80 on the batteries I’ve selected due to a current sale.

Advice?

Thanks,

Scotty

Scotty when the batteries start to show weak they are on the way to going bad.  If you are not boondocking and are around places to buy batteries wait it out.  If you are camping in areas away from good parts houses or Sam's clubs etc might consider buying now. 

When the house batteries go bad you will loose all 12V services unless the inverter stays up.

Once you get one or two bad batteries wired in a series the good batteries start doing more of the work. So essentially you run off 2 batteries instead of 4.

Reach into that big 401 K of yours and head to Sam's and grab those AGM's while they are on sale. If the wife gets mad

blame it on Bill Groves. He has broad shoulders and will take the heat for you. My last battery purchase I blamed Bill. Actually any electrical purchase I make I blame him.

Your current batteries are on their way out. You already know never replace a bank of batteries one or two at a time. Get after that Sam's sales now

while the getting's good. Don't forget to change your converter setting to AGM's. 🙂

Thanks Chris!  I’ll tell Debbie I have it from competent scallop-loving authorities that I should go ahead and buy the AGMs from Sams.  I’ve been looking at the lithium batteries Bill has been talking about, but by the time I buy the batteries, inverter, and all the other stuff I can justify, it gets to be 2 - 3 times what the agms cost. If we boondocked more, that would make sense, but we rarely boondock. 

of course, once I buy the AGMs we’ll prolly start boondocking more...

While on the battery topic,  when we bought our MH, it came w 2 12V batteries for the house as opposed to 4 6V batteries.  I suppose the PO didn't boondock much and we don't boondock much either.  There have been some times I have thought about boondocking, but talked myself out of it due to the batteries. I figure when I need new batteries, i will go back to 4 of the 6V AGMs like Scotty mentioned.  Does anyone know if the rewiring will be a snap or a pain?  I still have the stock Magnum inverter.  PO passed away before we purchased so I was never able to ask him any questions.   Pic is best I have of the current setup. 

20190323_164402.jpg

On 12/20/2019 at 7:34 AM, Scotty Hutto said:

Hey Gang,

We rarely boondock.

Advice?

Thanks,

Scotty

Have you tried running an 'Equalize' cycle with your charger?

Edited by 96 EVO

11 hours ago, Steven P said:

.Does anyone know if the rewiring will be a snap or a pain?  I still have the stock Magnum inverter.  PO passed away before we purchased so I was never able to ask him any questions.   Pic is best I have of the current setup. 

20190323_164402.jpg

Steven,

Here is a pic of my 4-6v battery setup. Shouldn’t be too hard.B0130125-0FFA-45EF-A18D-8B1F44CFF5D0.thumb.jpeg.1f70db090ec0557bf4d4474c4cc84fbf.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Scotty, I’ve used Bill’s expertise (and cover) for several years, and as Chris suggested, it works to justify the expense to my wife.   I also notice that she appreciates not being stranded with house battery failure, or other preventable travel issues.

So, head to Sam’s and get those AGMs! Both of you will feel better and not having to constantly monitor water levels is a BIG plus.  The extra time will free you to think of other things to blame on Bill. 🤔

Edited by David White

• 2 years later...

I bought 4 RV batteries for Boondocking from Battle Born for a solar project, these batteries are amazing and will work well with any acid. And last 3000 cycles or more. I run 400 to 800 watts all night with no problems. The battery charges very quickly even when it's cloudy. Additionally, it can supply between 14.4 and 14.6 volts, which is enough power to run most RV devices. I can totally use this battery as a backup power source because it is so versatile and reliable.

Edited by Dalton07

• 1 year later...