Hobbies

Pampero

So what is yours?

A Hobby for me is not a work, present or past, that I did; like working on my car is not a hobby for my. I worked as an auto technician for 40 years and I always hated to work on my own vehicles, and I still do.

Wood work and I am not good at it, but I have a lots of tools.

Videos, and I have a lot of tools and video editing software.

I used to do boating; the name of my boat was "Moneyhole" so you can guess why I don't boating anymore.

No Hunting, no fishing for me, I like to cook but my wife not want me to mess up her kitchen.

3 hours ago, Chuck B said:

After I retired I took on the hobby of "doing less than nothing".  That is creating work for others.

I retired 7 months ago.
And I found the answer to retirement

Retirement = Gaining weight🤨

17 hours ago, Pampero said:

So what is yours?

A Hobby for me is not a work, present or past, that I did; like working on my car is not a hobby for my. I worked as an auto technician for 40 years and I always hated to work on my own vehicles, 

That is funny, I always worked in engineering, for large telecommunications corporations in 3 countries and always tinkered with cars after work. In preparation for eventual retirement, we built a good size car shop and a small house in the country. 6 or so years ago I had enough of sitting behind a computer and opened my shop for car repair/restoration business, when not on the road which is about half of the time lately. Now I hate to even open my laptop, only for tax time and use an iPad for anything else...

• 3 weeks later...

Due to some physical problems I retired at age 42 and that retired me from my drag racing hobby as a driver.  But I was able to continue in drag racing for many years as an engine builder and crew member turning wrenches and washing parts.  I have spent 2 years converting my Blown 1972 Ford Pinto drag car to a Pavement Pounding Street Car for cruise nights and car shows.  I am also a Ham Radio Operator and have communicated with every country on earth except North Korea.  I have been involved with home computers since 1978.  I still follow the Space Program as I worked on Project Apollo from 1966 to 1970  in which we put Man on the Moon with slide rules of which I still have three in my desk drawer.   I am co-contributor to a book on the History of the United Stated Space Program.  Stay safe, Stay well.

Vegaman,  Sorry to hear you can no longer race, but it's great that you stayed involved.

That Pinto sounds like a beast.  What's it got for motivation?

I always liked the Pinto platform for an engine swap, and the Pinto front suspension lives on in countless street rods, replicas, and kit cars.

Love to see some pics.

David

That 9.98 second 1/4 mile run was made 29 years ago back in 1992.  We have moved twice since then.  I have looked for my record/time books but have not found them.  I have not raced the car since 1992 and it sat until 2009 when we started converting it over to the street, which took over 2 years.   Below is a picture of the steering wheel and center instrument cluster lowered as we worked on the wiring  Yellow light is for shift points, red light is for low oil pressure.100_4065.thumb.jpg.8f1481c1c501253a04198dba9a98a5e7.jpg

• Like 1

Very nice, Dick! These thing are a blast. Great hobby. I used to run my white Camaro mostly 1/8 mile because of too low gearing, otherwise it went too close to 8k RPM with a BBC 540 CI. Had to lift at 1000' but stil 9.4s at only 132 MPH coasting over the line. Never had a blower but on juice. Two motors later...

IMG_0002.JPG

That 9.98 second 1/4 mile run was made 29 years ago back in 1992.  We have moved twice since then.  I have looked for my record/time books but have not found them.  I have not raced the car since 1992 and it sat until 2009 when we started converting it over to the street, which took over 2 years.   Below is a picture of the steering wheel and center instrument cluster lowered as we worked on the wiring  Yellow light is for shift points, red light is for low oil pressure.100_4065.thumb.jpg.8f1481c1c501253a04198dba9a98a5e7.jpg

Ivan.

Nice Camaro .  Running with a blower takes more engineering and more work.  Tuning older carbs gets tricky because trying to run lean to get the most out of the engine and fuel without all that fancy instrumentation can cause really bad things to happen.  And converting over to the street with a blower took a lot of returning and smaller carbs and a larger upper pulley and on and on.  But no one bothers me on the street LOL.  The 6/71 blower is as big as the small block.  Contact me off list at wb2raj@aol.com for more pictures and info.100_4048.thumb.jpg.97c5f7dc9ccd40f003243e340a4ec0fa.jpg

• Thanks 1